Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jay Spearing wants win to honour Burnden Disaster victims

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers midfielder Jay Spearing says a home victory against Ipswich Town tonight would be the perfect tribute to those fans who lost their lives in the Burnden Disaster 70 years ago.

The anniversary of the disaster falls tomorrow and to mark the occasion Neil Lennon's team will wear a special blue third kit which has the names of the 33 victims woven into the fabric and does not have sponsors ROK Mobile's logo on the front.

As a former Liverpool player and fan, Spearing appreciates the effects a stadium disaster can have on a club after attending Hillsborough memorials during his time at Anfield.

Since joining Wanderers, the 27-year-old has learnt about the events of March 9, 1946 when hundreds of supporters were injured when a human crush took hold on the terraces at the FA Cup sixth-round clash against Stoke City.

And he believes it gives them extra motivation to honour the memory of those who died when the team runs out in the blue third kit tonight.

Spearing said: "I have found out bits and bobs about it throughout the time I have been here.

"It's a big part of the club and a big occasion for the fans.

"Hopefully we can mark it with a win.

"When you come to a club like Bolton your hear about the history straight away.

"It's up to individuals if they want to know the history.

"But from a personal point of view I like to know the background of a club and what I am fighting for and what beliefs the fans have.

"I think if you understand that the fans will get behind you and support you.

"The players know about the Burnden disaster and the manager knows about it.

"Maybe it should be highlighted more nationally but I think the club represents it well.

"The shirt has come out with the names of the people who died on it.

"Wearing that tonight will be special and hopefully we can win and give a spark to everyone around the club on the night."

Spearing hopes the added incentive can drive the players on and give the home fans reason to cheer with the drop to League One looking increasingly likely with each passing defeat and games running out to bridge the 10-point gap to safety.

After a mini revival at the start of February, Wanderers have picked up just one point from the last 15 available and returned to the foot of the table following Saturday's 2-1 reverse at Leeds.

Spearing, who has figured in nine consecutive games since returning to the side against MK Dons in January and was the standout performer for the Whites at the weekend, says it is imperative they pick up three points against Mick McCarthy's men tonight to keep their slim survival hopes alive.

He added: "We need a win as quickly as possible to get some momentum

"I think we've been playing well and did again on Saturday.

"Things haven't been going our way and we haven't been finishing chances and that needs to change."

Like Spearing, manager Lennon hopes the anniversary of the Burnden disaster can inspire his team to victory tonight.

The Northern Irishman said: "We have a big day because of the anniversary and the players have got to put in a performance to commemorate that."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum