Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jimmy Phillips: Wanderers rebuilding job bigger than I anticipated

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Interim boss Jimmy Phillips admits the job of reversing Wanderers' fortunes is tougher than he envisaged.

The former full-back took over the reins following Neil Lennon's exit hoping to see the team fight hard for their Championship survival.

But after three successive defeats and 10 goals conceded in a series of below-par performances, relegation to League One could be confirmed at Derby tomorrow.

Phillips concedes time could well be up on their Championship status this weekend but says it is down to a poor season as a whole rather than what happens against the Rams.

Nevertheless, he has been disappointed with the lack of fighting spirit from a team that appears to have accepted the inevitable some weeks ago.

Phillips said: "If we go down on Saturday it won’t because of losing at Derby, it is the whole season.

"We’ve done the last three games and been disappointed with what we’ve seen in many ways.

"The second-half performance at Brentford was something akin to what we have been trying to get from the players all along in terms of battling.

"They have to do that before playing their football.

"For all tactics and formation changes, the basics of football remain the same.

"You are up against an opponent and you have to win your individual battles first.

"I was certainly hoping for more fight than we saw in the Bristol City game and the first half at Brentford.

"I thought we did have some spirit in the Reading game, though admittedly we did ride our luck in that and Ben Amos had a terrific game.

"It is a problem we have had all season.

"The first half at Brentford, we all know it was another poor performance – the staff, players and everyone there from Bolton knew that.

"To allow strikers free headers from the centre of goal for the third; to be knocked off for the second – it is poor defending.

"There is no excuse for it and I am not even going to attempt to give an excuse for it.

"The future has to be far more determined for anyone who wants to wear a Bolton Wanderers shirt."

Phillips could have just six games left at the helm but says whoever is appointed on a permanent basis in the summer will have a big job on their hands, be it himself or not.

He added: "It’s more difficult than I anticipated because the performances still haven’t been up to the standard you would expect for Bolton Wanderers.

"That is something that needs a huge sort out before the next season starts.

"I’m well aware this cannot continue into the start of next season."

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum