Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Andy Townsend: Bolton Wanderers appoint TV pundit in consultancy role

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers have appointed former Republic of Ireland international Andy Townsend in a consultancy role.

The 52-year-old spent time at seven clubs during his career including Chelsea, Aston Villa and Middlesbrough.

Bolton have already been relegated from the Championship with Jimmy Phillips currently interim manager, assisted by former Sunderland boss Peter Reid.

Chairman Ken Anderson has revealed they have a shortlist of three of who they want to become their new manager.

Source

When asked if he wanted to choose an office to work from, Townsend replied:

"Nah, it's fine. I've got a portakabin in the car park that I use. It's got twenty tellies in it and a big dish on top. It's ace!"

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have to turn the sound off when Townsend cranks into gear.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I don't really understand even the need to have Townsend, with the club owner Anderson already having all the contacts he needs in football and beyond in his day job as a top football agent.

Maybe there is something in the Football League rules about he may have some sort of a conflict of interest or something?

Even then any meaningful day to day transfers in or out will be at League 1 level or below and I doubt Townsend would have that good a knowledge of that level of clubs and players.

Anderson did say something about loans from Premier clubs of their youngsters but I would have thought Anderson himself would have much better contacts at that level than Townsend.

Fwiw I don't rate him as a very good analyser of a game either - but he's not been brought in for that reason (I hope not anyway!).

So I'm a bit baffled as to what he will add to the set up - unless of course he's Anderson's mate and a job for the boys type thing like Coyle used to do for his mates and brother in law!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ah - this explains it -

Tweet from the clubs Media and Communications manager (Daniel Houlker) -

Clarification on Andy Townsend. Is at the club, but not in a working/paid capacity. Long-time family friend of Ken Anderson.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

If he's not there in a working capacity, why is he being touted as an advisor ?

That's it then, the humiliation is finally complete.

We are officially a charity case.....

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No money needs to be changed hands....just use of the directors box, Ken's condo in benidorm and a share of the meat pies when the tea lady brings them around.

I happen to have an advance copy of his player analysis report......  bottom of the last page reads .."In conclusion I have determined that most of our players can't pass a ball ten feet and I recommend 11 new ones for next season".

This blokes a genius.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum