Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gary Cahill

+3
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
okocha
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gary Cahill Empty Gary Cahill Mon May 02 2016, 21:35

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

According to the  BBC reporter at the Chelsea vs Spurs game this evening: 
"I remember being told years ago that when he was at Bolton,Gary Cahill was petitioning Gary Megson for a chance up front. He fancies himself as a striker.
And you can see why"

Were we aware of this at the time?

I always thought he would make an excellent midfielder....athletic, two-footed, good tackler, an eye for a goal, powerful, especially in the air. I didn't realise he was more interested in playing up front, though. 
If Meggo had listened, would our future have been different?

2Gary Cahill Empty Re: Gary Cahill Mon May 02 2016, 21:44

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Megson was a fucking absolute ginger fucking fuckface.

But I don't blame him for not playing Cahill up front. He doesn't have the pace, he doesn't have the technique, he's just not got it in his locker to be a striker.

3Gary Cahill Empty Re: Gary Cahill Mon May 02 2016, 22:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Megson was a fucking absolute ginger fucking fuckface.

Let it go.

4Gary Cahill Empty Re: Gary Cahill Mon May 02 2016, 23:42

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think we really need to stop talking about might have beens or if only's. They do no good and only serve to highlight how far we have fallen. 

We need to stop worrying about yesterday, especially a yesterday that never was and worry about what tomorrow will bring.

5Gary Cahill Empty Re: Gary Cahill Tue May 03 2016, 00:28

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

doffcocker wrote:Megson was a fucking absolute ginger fucking fuckface.

But I don't blame him for not playing Cahill up front. He doesn't have the pace, he doesn't have the technique, he's just not got it in his locker to be a striker.
I'd have him back in a heartbeat, we'd get playoffs as a minimum with Megson.

6Gary Cahill Empty Re: Gary Cahill Tue May 03 2016, 10:40

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It showed in his play for us. I always rated Cahill even when he let us down on a few occasions, but his big downfall was his tendency to wander out of position and try to play a bit. Our defending was often last ditch (which he is great at) but it didn't need to be as shown when he was partnered with a more senior CB who would help him focus on the job at hand. Ricketts did it whilst he was with us and obviously Terry kept him under control once he went to Chelsea.
In some ways, the opposite of Morgan and Huth who never wander anywhere.

7Gary Cahill Empty Re: Gary Cahill Tue May 03 2016, 11:34

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

My real point was to wonder if we fans were aware of the idea that Cahill asked to play a more forward role.....or did I just miss that bit of news somehow? His natural footballing skills might have been more use to us than in a purely defensive role as a stopper. (I'm not really looking back so much as wondering if we knew about his wishes)

8Gary Cahill Empty Re: Gary Cahill Tue May 03 2016, 11:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

okocha wrote:My real point was to wonder if we fans were aware of the idea that Cahill asked to play a more forward role.....or did I just miss that bit of news somehow? His natural footballing skills might have been more use to us than in a purely defensive role as a stopper. (I'm not really looking back so much as wondering if we knew about his wishes)
Whilst I never heard anything "official" about it, he played for us like he was desperate to be anywhere else but in the middle of our back 4 at times.

9Gary Cahill Empty Re: Gary Cahill Tue May 03 2016, 13:03

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:It showed in his play for us. I always rated Cahill even when he let us down on a few occasions, but his big downfall was his tendency to wander out of position and try to play a bit. Our defending was often last ditch (which he is great at) but it didn't need to be as shown when he was partnered with a more senior CB who would help him focus on the job at hand. Ricketts did it whilst he was with us and obviously Terry kept him under control once he went to Chelsea.
In some ways, the opposite of Morgan and Huth who never wander anywhere.

They don't call us Bolton Wanderers for nothing, Wanderlust.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum