Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Music thread

+42
luckyPeterpiper
finlaymcdanger
Mr Magoo
Mr Brightside
Rancid Robert
Boggersbelief
boltonbonce
karlypants
xmiles
Spirit of 58
kennster
NickFazer
Triumph
Lyric Todkill
scottjames30
paddybwfc
Hip Priest
Jamster26
Leeds_Trotter
Norpig
Sluffy
Copper Dragon
Bernard Dennis Park
BoltonTillIDie
Soul Kitchen
JonnyRandom
inf
Lancaster White
largehat
Reebok_Rebel
Michael Bolton
Spillthebeans
bwfc71
wanderlust
Angry Dad
Keegan
Natasha Whittam
Hipster_Nebula
aaron_bwfc
doffcocker
Banks of the Croal
Reebok Trotter
46 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 45 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 50]

781Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 10:37

Pevensey Pete

Pevensey Pete
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

xmiles wrote:
Canterbury Frank wrote:Wow there are some shite bands mentiond on here , Zapper, Airplane, Doors all boring shite. The Byrds ok but very average. Salford folk think the Hollies were a big band but that's because Clark came from salford they were in fact on a par with the Tremeloes and Hermans Hermits weak and pretty much shite.

So who do you think is good?
Well I know what is good, who the real talent are and were but music is about personal taste and like most anything except wierd stuff that appeals to the few. I don't like any modern stuff it's all shite,I like chuck Berry, Howlin Wolf, Black Boy's of Alabama, The Stones, The Who, Johnny Cash, The Smallfaces, Marvin Gaye, Percy Sledge, Humble Pie, Carole King, James Taylor, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Donovan,T Rex, Tom Robinson Band, Early Elton John, Sex Pistols, Stranglers, The Cure, Cranberries, Don McLean, Tom Petty, S&G, Little Richard, Roy Wood's ELO, Carly Simon, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Mid to late Beatles, Robert Palmer, Yes, Genesis, Madness, Shakira, Melanie, Mid to Late Beach Boys, The Strawbs, Hudson Ford, George Harrison,Traffic, Kate Bush. Fav albums in no particular order are Tapestry, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway,Wish you were Here, Hounds of Love, Bridge over Troubled water, Abbey Road, Exile on Main St.

782Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 11:49

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:

My grandad was a huge foster and allen fan, listening to that just brought back some great memories, thanks for that!

It is a lovely song.

783Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 11:51

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Canterbury Frank wrote: Salford folk think the Hollies were a big band but that's because Clark came from salford they were in fact on a par with the Tremeloes and Hermans Hermits weak and pretty much shite.

The Hollies were great harmonisers. Who can forget their great classic, " He aint heavy, he's Michael Bolton."

784Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 12:46

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Canterbury Frank wrote:
xmiles wrote:
Canterbury Frank wrote:Wow there are some shite bands mentiond on here , Zapper, Airplane, Doors all boring shite. The Byrds ok but very average. Salford folk think the Hollies were a big band but that's because Clark came from salford they were in fact on a par with the Tremeloes and Hermans Hermits weak and pretty much shite.

Well I know what is good, who the real talent are and were but music is about personal taste and like most anything except wierd stuff that appeals to the few. I don't like any modern stuff it's all shite,I like chuck Berry, Howlin Wolf, Black Boy's of Alabama, The Stones, The Who, Johnny Cash, The Smallfaces, Marvin Gaye, Percy Sledge, Humble Pie, Carole King, James Taylor, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Donovan,T Rex, Tom Robinson Band, Early Elton John, Sex Pistols, Stranglers, The Cure, Cranberries, Don McLean, Tom Petty, S&G, Little Richard, Roy Wood's ELO, Carly Simon, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Mid to late Beatles, Robert Palmer, Yes, Genesis, Madness, Shakira, Melanie, Mid to Late Beach Boys, The Strawbs, Hudson Ford, George Harrison,Traffic, Kate Bush. Fav albums in no particular order are Tapestry, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway,Wish you were Here, Hounds of Love, Bridge over Troubled water, Abbey Road, Exile on Main St.

Interesting (and long) list. As you say it's a question of personal taste and I certainly don't rate some of the music you like. A short but not exhaustive list of who I like would include Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, John McLaughlin, Weather Report, Joy Division, Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Richard and Linda Thompson, Neil Young, Allan Holdsworth and Soft Machine.

785Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 13:42

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
Canterbury Frank wrote:
xmiles wrote:

Interesting (and long) list. As you say it's a question of personal taste and I certainly don't rate some of the music you like. A short but not exhaustive list of who I like would include Jimi Hendrix, Miles Davis, John McLaughlin, Weather Report, Joy Division, Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Richard and Linda Thompson, Neil Young, Allan Holdsworth and Soft Machine.

Nothing more recent?

I'm about the same age but whilst I liked a lot of these at the time there were many more obscure things in my vinyl collection and I've moved on since finding something I like every year since. This week I'm listening to a lot of progressive trance whilst driving - although I have noticed I'm driving faster as a result.

I also didn't pay much attention to the "cultural divide" so I liked soul, latin, jazz as well as rock and early synth stuff (Can etc) and folk.

But I guess for the most part, people tend to prefer the soundtrack of their "formative years" -

786Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 16:55

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:

Nothing more recent?

But I guess for the most part, people tend to prefer the soundtrack of their "formative years" -

Rage Against the Machine, Billy Mahonie and Mars Volta are the most recent acts that I've bought CDs by because as you say nothing quite matches the music you hear when you are young. The only contemporary acts I buy now are jazz guitarists like Mike Stern, Alex Machacek, Scott Henderson, Wayne Krantz, John McLaughlin, Richard Hallebeek, Dewa Budjana, Tohpati Bertiga and Allan Holdsworth.

787Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 17:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Nothing more recent?

Rage Against the Machine, Billy Mahonie and Mars Volta are the most recent acts that I've bought CDs by because as you say nothing quite matches the music you hear when you are young. The only contemporary acts I buy now are jazz guitarists like Mike Stern, Alex Machacek, Scott Henderson, Wayne Krantz, John McLaughlin, Richard Hallebeek, Dewa Budjana, Tohpati Bertiga and Allan Holdsworth.
I like the fact you call John McLaughlin a contemporary act. I was playing his stuff since the 60s and still have a couple of MO albums somewhere. To this day I still play that concert he did with Al de Meola and Paco de Lucia - one of my favourites of all time.

One of my neighbours is Steve Hackett and he's still touring - not doing Genesis stuff but writing modern flamenco and acoustic stuff which is pretty good. I guess he's contemporary to a new generation.

Here's one from the 3 acoustic guitar maestros:

788Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 18:42

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wanderlust wrote:
xmiles wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Nothing more recent?

I like the fact you call John McLaughlin a contemporary act. I was playing his stuff since the 60s and still have a couple of MO albums somewhere. To this day I still play that concert he did with Al de Meola and Paco de Lucia - one of my favourites of all time.

One of my neighbours is Steve Hackett and he's still touring - not doing Genesis stuff but writing modern flamenco and acoustic stuff which is pretty good. I guess he's contemporary to a new generation.

Here's one from the 3 acoustic guitar maestros:

I am glad you like John McLaughlin too. He is still touring regularly and releasing new material.

789Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Fri Oct 17 2014, 23:51

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

xmiles wrote:
Canterbury Frank wrote:
xmiles wrote:

Milesy is it just latter period Soft Machine you like (obviously with Holdsworth). My favourite Softs period is the Volumes 2,3 and 4 era. I am a massive Robert Wyatt freak.

790Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Sat Oct 18 2014, 10:10

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hip Priest wrote:
Milesy is it just latter period Soft Machine you like (obviously with Holdsworth). My favourite Softs period is the Volumes 2,3 and 4 era. I am a massive Robert Wyatt freak.

I like everything Soft Machine did although I am not a big fan of the first two, but Third is great.

Have you heard anything by Soft Machine Legacy? No vocals but definitely at the jazzier end of the jazz-rock spectrum.

791Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Sat Oct 18 2014, 13:07

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

792Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Sat Oct 18 2014, 21:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Quality.

793Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Sun Oct 19 2014, 21:06

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Quality.

Reminds me of Enya.

794Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Sun Oct 19 2014, 21:19

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nostalgia.

795Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Sun Oct 19 2014, 21:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How did they get away with this.

796Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Mon Oct 20 2014, 01:04

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

xmiles wrote:
Hip Priest wrote:

I like everything Soft Machine did although I am not a big fan of the first two, but Third is great.

Have you heard anything by Soft Machine Legacy? No vocals but definitely at the jazzier end of the jazz-rock spectrum.

No, haven't anything by Soft Machine Legacy but I'll give it a try.

797Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Mon Oct 20 2014, 10:58

Pevensey Pete

Pevensey Pete
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

What's the worst gloomy depressing dirge of a song you ever heard ? I'd have said anything by the Smiths until I heard  The Drugs Don't Work this morning.

798Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Mon Oct 20 2014, 13:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anything by Leonard Cohen.

799Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Tue Oct 21 2014, 12:01

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Frank, as you say music is personal preference, two of mine you completely wrote off as shite! 
Zappa is a very eclectic musician and given the amount of albums he made you may have to search to find something to hit the sweet spot! I'll not insult you by going any further on your shite comment, but he's certainly much nearer to the genius end,  if not rather eccentric,  of the musical spectrum!! 
Most groups and soloists produce some dross during their careers and the Doors are no exception! Out of their six studio albums that dross is one track called Horse Latitudes. Purely my opinion of course, but history has already shown that they were trailblazers and we're influential in many other bands. 
Some of the stuff you mentioned have seen the needle but don't float my boat, so what?

800Music thread - Page 40 Empty Re: Music thread Tue Oct 21 2014, 12:01

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:Anything by Leonard Cohen.
+1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 45 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum