Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Second EU Referendum

+7
NickFazer
gloswhite
xmiles
Copper Dragon
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
wanderlust
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 12:33

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

After a full day of backpedalling from Boris, Gove and Farage - and the resultant mind-changing from a large section of leave voters - several newspapers are now suggesting that a second referendum might be on the cards before Article 50 is invoked, but would this solve anything?

The leave voters who haven't yet experienced "buyer regret" and still think leaving is a good idea will just kick off and claim it's not fair so they'll never be happy.

And although we are still calculating the full cost of the referendum, Britain PLC has lost at least £100 billion (or 12.5 years of net contribution to the EU at current figures) and that will have to be paid for in jobs, services and a lower living standard and we'll never get it back. As usual, the lower socio-economic groups will bear the brunt of the pain that is yet to come. But that money has gone now.

So now that we're in this mess, is there any point in having a second referendum

Seems a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted to me.

If we really wanted to lift the country's flagging spirits and boost confidence in the economy, wouldn't we just be better off doing Gove, Farage and Johnson for treason and have Ant and Dec present a live Saturday night triple public hanging?

2referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 12:37

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope not, we won fair and square.

3referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 13:26

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There won't be a second one and even if there was LEAVE would still win

4referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 13:41

There shouldn't be a 2nd referendum at this moment in time, people have voted leave for whatever reason.

The 2nd referendum should be when the terms of our exit from the EU are confirmed. Then you can show people what they would be losing/gaining.

5referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 13:44

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's all a bit SNP to me.

We're going to keep having referendums until we get the result that we want.

6referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 14:23

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Copper Dragon wrote:It's all a bit SNP to me.

We're going to keep having referendums until we get the result that we want.

Which is one of the problems with referendums.

7referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 14:25

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Barb Dwyer wrote:There shouldn't be a 2nd referendum at this moment in time, people have voted leave for whatever reason.

The 2nd referendum should be when the terms of our exit from the EU are confirmed. Then you can show people what they would be losing/gaining.

There would be no point in having a referendum then, as the decision to leave has already been made, and the the talks aren't about whether we stay in, but how we get out, Both sides want to do this with as little damage to either side, and with both trying to keep the better, (most profitable), deals in place, albeit changed.

8referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 14:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think the 2nd referendum will happen, but by tabling a petition with more than £1million signatories, Parliament have by law to consider and debate it and that debate may have an impact on whether the Foreign Secretary decides that we should leave Europe or not.

Obviously the decision to leave Europe or not has nothing to do with the referendum other than it serves as market research to inform the elected Government's decision.

9referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 14:33

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Everybody needs to calm down, there is no reason to rush and invoke article 50 and we shouldn't be pressured into doing so. There have been a lot of reactionary statements from both sides of the argument in the UK and from sources in Europe and most of them unhelpful. The referendum has been held and unless anyone can prove electoral fraud then it should stand. The only case for a second vote would be if the EU decided to undertake significant reform, it has needed an event of this magnitude to finally wake them up to reality, it isn't just the British that are unhappy with how the EU conducts itself, we are the one nation though that still has suffient beligerence to stand up to them.

10referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 15:19

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Everyone is simply accepting that parliament will pass the legislation to withdraw from the EU. From 649 MPs only 140 agreed with leave. I have a feeling that this isn't finished yet. What will all of you Brexiteers do if parliament simply doesn't pass the law?  Suppose they're given a free vote and they reject the result of the non legally binding referendum. That is not beyond the realms of possibility. The vast number of MPs utterly oppose the idea of leaving!!

11referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 15:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

12referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 15:24

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:Everyone is simply accepting that parliament will pass the legislation to withdraw from the EU. From 649 MPs only 140 agreed with leave. I have a feeling that this isn't finished yet. What will all of you Brexiteers do if parliament simply doesn't pass the law?  Suppose they're given a free vote and they reject the result of the non legally binding referendum. That is not beyond the realms of possibility. The vast number of MPs utterly oppose the idea of leaving!!
Then what would've been the point of a referendum?

The people of Britain has spoken, end of.

13referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 15:25

scottjames30 wrote:The people of Britain has spoken, end of.

For somebody so nationalist it would be great if you could learn to speak English.

Last edited by bwfc1874 on Sun 26 Jun - 15:28; edited 1 time in total

14referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 15:28

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

For such somebody so nationalist it would be great if you could learn to speak English.

Sorry, I'm driving 90 miles an hour down a motorway, breaking EU rules.

15referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 15:50

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

16referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 16:02

scottjames30 wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

For such somebody so nationalist it would be great if you could learn to speak English.

What rule?

17referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 16:03

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

What rule?

The speed one.

18referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 16:12

Don't take amphetamines when driving?

That's not an EU rule, I'm afraid.

100% British Law that one.

19referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 16:16

The EU set our speed limits..

:facepalm: 

Glad you know what you were voting for Scott!

20referendum - Second EU Referendum Empty Re: Second EU Referendum Sun 26 Jun - 16:22

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That palm thing makes you look like a right tart .

It nearly made me crash.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum