Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton looking to sign quality goalkeeper

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson says Wanderers cannot afford to gamble by signing an untested goalkeeper as competition to Ben Amos this summer.

Concerned by changes to the emergency loan rules, the Whites boss wants two strong options in goal to legislate for any fitness problems his side may encounter.

Under the new system clubs can still loan a keeper on an emergency deal if they do not own a “fit registered keeper who has made five senior appearances for any club”.

That means Parkinson has to bring in a man he trusts will be available to come in at a moment’s notice.

“We need to look at the goalkeeping department because I think the emergency loan rule this season for goalkeepers is a slightly worrying one,” he told The Bolton News.

“The keeper we get in has got to be good enough to play. Once you get them registered they count if there were injuries and you can’t go and sign another one if it doesn’t work out.

“It isn’t worth us getting a young lad in who we don’t know will definitely be able to step in and play.”

Wanderers discussed a deal with ex-Burnley keeper Matt Gilks earlier in the summer but he got a lucrative offer from Glasgow Rangers and moved to Scotland.

Parkinson wants an alternative of similar quality and is close to moving forward with a deal.

“We are weighing things up now and have a few options,” he said. “By the time we get back to England I hope we’ll have made some progress.”

Fans have clamoured for Wanderers legend Jussi Jaaskelainen to be considered for a return to the club – where his son Will is currently cutting his teeth in the professional game.

The Big Finn, now aged 41, recently signed a 12-month extension to his deal at Wigan Athletic and came close to joining Parkinson at Bradford last summer.

The Latics have been linked with a number of keepers of late, including ex-Wanderers man Adam Bogdan and Northern Ireland’s Euro 2016 hero Michael McGovern.

But Parkinson played down the chances of a return for Jaaskelainen under existing circumstances.

“He’s under contract at Wigan and I have not had any discussions with him recently,” the manager said.

“We had him at Bradford and I must say, what a professional he is, he’s outstanding. But before we got a chance to progress it, he got a great offer from Wigan.

“I’d imagine he’s happy to see what he can do there at the moment.”

Source

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

There are a few about by the looks of it, Steve Harper, Joe Lewis, Paddy Kenny have all been released and are free agents

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not Paddy Kenny again!

Steve Harper would be great as first choice never mind second

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Joe Lewis was considered the next England prospect at one point and might even be capped so must be worth a look. PP might consider Harper but if Brown had got the job he wouldn't have because there is no way he's have signed someone with a dodgier tan than him.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Scrap Lewis apparently he's signed for Aberdeen

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jussi will end up back here when Wigan sign Bogdan. he was on trial at Bradford before Wigan snapped him up, makes sense

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

would absolutely love to see Jussi back, he can then help bring his son through the ranks as well

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum