Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre

+15
wanderlust
Resistance is Futile
wessy
bwfc71
Banks of the Croal
Cajunboy
finlaymcdanger
Boggersbelief
Sluffy
boltonbonce
Bwfc1958
Soul Kitchen
Norpig
whatsgoingon
karlypants
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No. what was it?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

ah you youngsters  Very Happy it was an aviary in the Arndale, can't remember what kind of birds it had in it though, i presume it was budgies and the like?

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Norpig wrote:ah you youngsters  Very Happy it was an aviary in the Arndale, can't remember what kind of birds it had in it though, i presume it was budgies and the like?
That must have been the days when Bolton town centre had some decent birds knocking about.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I seemed to spend most of my childhood in W.H Smith,C&A and Gregory and Porritts.

I remember those bloody budgies.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I remember the time before the Arndale was even built.

There used to be a previous (small) shopping roofed thoroughfare leading on to Bradshawgate, where Clarks shoe shop used to be and where I was always taken for my shoes (I don't think trainers had even been invented back in my day).

They had a sort of x-ray machine they used to check out how the shoes fitted once you had them on - probably highly dangerous and completely banned these days!

I also remember catching the bus for home from the stop at the bottom of the Town Hall steps and also the time before the fountains were built outside WH Smiths and going to a family party in the Commercial Hotel (pictured below).

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 172

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

you must be ancient Sluffy  Very Happy

Where was the Commercial Hotel? I can't work it out from that picture

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

pissheads, pigeons and polish accents.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

you missed out on the golden era Boggers, Friday and Saturday night down Bradshawgate, every pub rammed and then off to Ritzys, Central Park or for me, Pink Panthers, Happy days  Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:you must be ancient Sluffy Very Happy

Where was the Commercial Hotel? I can't work it out from that picture

I am!

It is on the Town Hall Square and was turned into Mothercare's.

The picture is on the diagonal, where the car seems to be parked on the left is the bottom of the Town Hall steps.  

The thing in the centre of the picture is the war memorial thingy (directly facing the Town Hall) and the Commercial is the big white building to the left.

If you walked past it (in the direction the car is pointing) you would pass Boydell toy shop and the Army and Navy store on your right - heading towards the Market Hall.

Note Boydell's toy store used to be originally at the top end of Newport Street opposite roughly where the Wheatsheaf was but I would think you would be too young to remember in there.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:you missed out on the golden era Boggers, Friday and Saturday night down Bradshawgate, every pub rammed and then off to Ritzys, Central Park or for me, Pink Panthers, Happy days  Very Happy
used to be a set route that everyone followed because you used to bump into the same people in every pub. We used to start in the Man & Scythe, over to the Brass Cat, round to Swannies across to Yates's for an Aussie White and then Maxims then Ritzy's. Went to Sundowners as well which was a dive but you always pulled in there.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy, are you from the Cloggs era? Very Happy

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

thanks Sluffy, it looks so different to now, i've seen pictures of when you could drive past the town hall but was before my time. I remember Boydells and the Army & Navy store though

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:
Norpig wrote:you missed out on the golden era Boggers, Friday and Saturday night down Bradshawgate, every pub rammed and then off to Ritzys, Central Park or for me, Pink Panthers, Happy days  Very Happy
used to be a set route that everyone followed because you used to bump into the same people in every pub. We used to start in the Man & Scythe, over to the Brass Cat, round to Swannies across to Yates's for an Aussie White and then Maxims then Ritzy's. Went to Sundowners as well which was a dive but you always pulled in there.
 we did similar but i think it must be a town thing because in Manchester people tend to stay in one place and not move on very often.
When i first started seeing the wife (she's a Manc) she couldn't believe it was one drink then move on  Very Happy

Never heard of Sundowners, where was that?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:Sluffy, are you from the Cloggs era? Very Happy

When I was little there was an old woman who lived on the same street as me who wore clogs and a shawl, Mrs Whittle I think her name was.  

My mam used to send me up to her house every so often to see if she wanted me to bring her anything from the corner shop in the next street.

I also remember that she always gave the kids in the street cups of black peas and treacle toffee on bonfire night.

True story - so yes I guess I am, just about.

Last edited by Sluffy on Thu Jul 21 2016, 15:36; edited 1 time in total

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:
 we did similar but i think it must be a town thing because in Manchester people tend to stay in one place and not move on very often.
When i first started seeing the wife (she's a Manc) she couldn't believe it was one drink then move on  Very Happy

Never heard of Sundowners, where was that?
Back Street behind Newport Street it was the Bus Inn prior to that, I'm sure half the women in there were hookers

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:

Now it's, start in hogarths, the. Man n scythe if you fancy a thatchers, over to Yates, possibly dragon fly/C2 then off to courtneys to pull the best looking bird you can find

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd not been out in Bolton for years until about a year ago and i was amazed how quiet it was on Bradshawgate, Hogarths was busy but the rest of town was dead which is a shame as i've had many great nights out in Bolton town centre over the years

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

anyone used to go to the kids versions of the Dance Factory and Ritzy's? We used to buy a bottle of Strongbow each and drink it in Queens Park before trying to act sober and get in  Very Happy

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:anyone used to go to the kids versions of the Dance Factory and Ritzy's? We used to buy a bottle of Strongbow each and drink it in Queens Park before trying to act sober and get in  Very Happy

We used to drop opened bottles of Poppers on the floor at the Dance Factory. Not when there were any kids there of course! Had some good times (and fights) in there.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

used to spend a lot of time in here playing 5 a side, badminton and squash on occasion, everyone recognise it?

Your childhood memories of bolton town centre - Page 2 4972358

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum