Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parkinson is keeping his number one options open

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers’ goalkeeper’s spot is seemingly still up for grabs with just six days to go until the start of the season.

Phil Parkinson admits there are still places up for grabs in his team to play Sheffield United at the weekend and nowhere is the competition fiercer than in the battle for the number one shirt.

Mark Howard appeared to nudge ahead of Ben Amos after playing 90 minutes of the 0-0 draw with Preston North End on Saturday.

But the Whites boss stressed he has not made either of his keepers ‘first choice’ and hinted the decision may yet be made over the coming days.

“There is a rivalry for the shirt, a healthy one, but we are lucky to have two very good goalkeepers vying for one position,” he told The Bolton News.

“Ben was outstanding the other night at Crewe and likewise Mark was very good today (against Preston).

“You want them to push each other, never to feel comfortable that they are an automatic choice and it would be great to have those sorts of problems in every position on the pitch.

“We have a fair idea what team we want to play against Sheffield United but I’d be lying if I said every single spot was taken.

“We have a week of training now to sort out our thoughts, so we’ll wait and see what happens.”

Wanderers have yet to give a firm contract offer to David Wheater, Frazer Richardson or Danny Collins, who all featured on Saturday. Neal Eardley is still under consideration despite not figuring at all in the squad.

Parkinson had called for the club to “push the button” on signings in recent weeks but has now softened his stance.

“I think we all want to bring in new players and I’m not unlike any other manager in that sense,” he said. “Everyone is a little edgy but I think we have to accept that it might take a little longer than we would like.

“That isn’t anyone’s fault, it’s just things have to go through a process and that is going to take more time.”

Wanderers do hope, however, that Zach Clough and Jamie Proctor will be clear of minor injuries to face Sheffield United.

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TBH Amos has been more of a number two than a number one.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum