Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Bolton Town and District » If you are an exile, what do you say when people run Bolton down?

If you are an exile, what do you say when people run Bolton down?

+10
King Bill
rammywhite
wanderlust
Biggie
Norpig
finlaymcdanger
Bollotom2014
whatsgoingon
Natasha Whittam
Chairmanda
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

i really resent the reaction I get when I say I am from Bolton to Southerners. I get oh so funny quips about flat caps, whippets, dark satanic mills. Or asked if I know Peter Kay cos I should tell him he really isn't funny. There is obviously a logical fallacy in me defending Bolton too much else I leave myself open to 'if it's that good, why don't you live there, then?'. It's also ok for Boltonians to slag it off, but not folk who have never been. I used to wax lyrical about things no longer there, so help me out, what can I say that's positive, true, and shows Bolton at its best?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chairmanda wrote:what can I say that's positive, true, and shows Bolton at its best?

The road to Chorley?

Chairmanda

Chairmanda
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Chairmanda wrote:what can I say that's positive, true, and shows Bolton at its best?

The road to Chorley?
Very Happy

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Chairmanda wrote:what can I say that's positive, true, and shows Bolton at its best?

The road to Chorley?
That would only be true if it was one way and you couldn't come back  Very Happy

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Chairmanda wrote:i really resent the reaction I get when I say I am from Bolton to Southerners. I get oh so funny quips about flat caps, whippets, dark satanic mills. Or asked if I know Peter Kay cos I should tell him he really isn't funny. There is obviously a logical fallacy in me defending Bolton too much else I leave myself open to 'if it's that good, why don't you live there, then?'. It's also ok for Boltonians to slag it off, but not folk who have never been. I used to wax lyrical about things no longer there, so help me out, what can I say that's positive, true, and shows Bolton at its best?

Yep. Among the Landaners and Norfolk folk I always get the impression that they think I must have got here by accident. I honestly believe, in the main, it stems from "Them Norvern upstarts beating Arse, Chelski and The 'Ammers. Though I also get asked if I lived near Fred Dibnah as they say I speak like him.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Look puzzled and use your most condescending tone to ask 'have you ever spent any time up in the North?'. Make the fuckers feel like the idiots they are because they have never been and have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

to be honest when i go back it gets worse every time, the town centre is a mess and the town in general is in decline. That's not just me saying this but the many people i keep in contact with who still live there (including all my family)
I only live in Manchester so i'm not that far away but the difference is massive, i honestly can't think of one thing that i could mention to show Bolton at its best and that saddens me greatly as i'm Bolton born and bred and lived there for the first 35 years of my life

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Chairmanda wrote:i really resent the reaction I get when I say I am from Bolton to Southerners. I get oh so funny quips about flat caps, whippets, dark satanic mills. Or asked if I know Peter Kay cos I should tell him he really isn't funny. There is obviously a logical fallacy in me defending Bolton too much else I leave myself open to 'if it's that good, why don't you live there, then?'. It's also ok for Boltonians to slag it off, but not folk who have never been. I used to wax lyrical about things no longer there, so help me out, what can I say that's positive, true, and shows Bolton at its best?
Say - "tha knows nowt" and pull a ferret out of your trousers

Biggie

Biggie
Admin

I live in Bolton and it is shit.
I went down south for a bit recently and it was like a different counrty. I thought I was on holiday or like all the locals thought I was a foriegner.

http://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

finlaymcdanger wrote:Look puzzled and use your most condescending tone to ask 'have you ever spent any time up in the North?'. Make the fuckers feel like the idiots they are because they have never been and have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.
This. I'm from the north of Bolton and still have a share in a house there and it's a beautiful part of the world so in Norfolk I tend to wax lyrical about the lakes, the reservoirs, the woods, forests and hills that they don't have around here to make it clear that they've missed out if they haven't been to Rivington, Belmont, Turton, Rammy, Affetside and the Bolton green belt.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
finlaymcdanger wrote:Look puzzled and use your most condescending tone to ask 'have you ever spent any time up in the North?'. Make the fuckers feel like the idiots they are because they have never been and have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.
This. I'm from the north of Bolton and still have a share in a house there and it's a beautiful part of the world so in Norfolk I tend to wax lyrical about the lakes, the reservoirs, the woods, forests and hills that they don't have around here to make it clear that they've missed out if they haven't been to Rivington, Belmont, Turton, Rammy, Affetside and the Bolton green belt.

Glad you mentioned Rammy there- its a great little town . Its certainly not a tourist trap- just  a good place to live.
To be honest,the Bolton I knew 40 years ago was also a great place to live,but now its just an embarrassment with the heart ripped out of it.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

wanderlust wrote:
This. I'm from the north of Bolton and still have a share in a house there and it's a beautiful part of the world so in Norfolk I tend to wax lyrical about the lakes, the reservoirs, the woods, forests and hills that they don't have around here to make it clear that they've missed out if they haven't been to Rivington, Belmont, Turton, Rammy, Affetside and the Bolton green belt.

That's not really Bolton though is it, more the fringes. A couple of places you mentioned are not even in the Borough. Bolton's working class history lies in the heart of the town and in the tightly packed houses around it, and as has been said, it has had its heart ripped out. The town centre is on the decline, no matter how the so called town council try to "re-invent" it.
In a morning, traffic is generally going one way, and that is out of the town.
Other town centres have addressed their slide. Bury's one of them. Bolton's not, and I can't see it turning around anytime soon.
Such a shame.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Does look a good read that bb, cheers. I'm still trying to get hold of 'A Grammar of the Dialect of the Bolton Area part 2'. Got part 1, but still searching for part 2.

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

King Bill wrote:Does look a good read that bb, cheers. I'm still trying to get hold of 'A Grammar of the Dialect of the Bolton Area part 2'. Got part 1, but still searching for part 2.
Had a search on 'AbeBooks' and Bookfinder.com with no luck. Must be a copy out there somewhere.
I'll keep my eyes open.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Cheers bb SmileSmile

DEANO82

DEANO82
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

boltonbonce wrote:
King Bill wrote:Does look a good read that bb, cheers. I'm still trying to get hold of 'A Grammar of the Dialect of the Bolton Area part 2'. Got part 1, but still searching for part 2.
Had a search on 'AbeBooks' and Bookfinder.com with no luck. Must be a copy out there somewhere.
I'll keep my eyes open.
Is this not what you are looking for?



http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19693354414&searchurl=x%3D64%26y%3D10%26sts%3Dt%26sortby%3D17%26tn%3Ddialect%2Bof%2Bbolton

Obviously wouldn't want to pay £135 for a book.

I use http://founditatlast.vpweb.co.uk/ who seems to be pretty good at finding rare books, and also sells Bolton fanzines (White Love) and videos, although only 1 he seems to have now is the Tranmere play-off match which I wouldn't want to buy.

King Bill

King Bill
David Lee
David Lee

Cheers Deano, £135 is a bit dear, gonna email the foundatlast site tomoz Smile

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Here you go, Bill. Have a gander at these. They're in the main the author's own spellings, but some good examples there. 

http://www.dunkerley-tuson.co.uk/pages/lancashiredialectpoemsindex.aspx

Sponsored content



Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum