Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Proctor believes Wanderers have the quality to challenge in League One

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is a new, upbeat feel to today's Wanderers – and new recruit Jamie Proctor is confident the feelgood factor can carry them through to promotion.

Proctor followed his manager at Bradford City Phil Parkinson across the Pennines to the Macron this summer and clearly has no regrets at leaving a club that narrowly missed out on promotion to the Championship last term.

Parkinson's side missed out in the play-offs, with Millwall reaching the final at their expense. But, putting that disappointment behind him, the striker is targeting going one better with his new club.

“I think looking around the quality of the squad, there’s absolutely no reason why we can’t go further," said the Whites' new striker, who found the net twice in the summer friendlies for his new club.

“It’s hard to be certain in pre-season and you probably shouldn’t read too much into the results but going off the quality in the squad there is enough to be challenging.

“I don’t think we should put too much expectation on ourselves from the start. Fans will do that, and deservedly so because of the size of the squad.

“But we have to concentrate on getting results, getting consistency. We’d be doing ourselves an injustice if we didn’t."

A world away from the doom and gloom of last season, one of the worst in Wanderers' history, 24-year-old Proctor says under Parkinson the club has embarked on a fresh start and, looking around the squad, there is little to suggest any misery remains at the Macron.

“I wasn’t here last year so I don’t know what the mood was like but I’m guessing it wasn’t great," said Proctor, who scored on his Bradford debut last January and went on to net five more for the club. "Getting beat every week will have an adverse effect on the side.

“Since I have been here the lads have been upbeat and there has been talk of putting the past behind them. I think they are starting to do that.

“The lads who were here last year have got something to prove and the lads coming in know where this club wants to be, and where it deserves to be.

“I think you can see the lads are going to work for each other, we’re going to be solid, we’re going to be hard to beat. We can mix it up and I’d like to think at times we’ll be entertaining and do things the right way.

“That will come gradually but we’ve seen already that certain things that the gaffer wants to enforce are coming into the team.

"We’re pulling in the same direction and that will stand us in good stead.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum