Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The English Abroad

+8
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
Numpty 28723
aaron_bwfc
xmiles
doffcocker
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The English Abroad Empty The English Abroad Thu Jul 12 2012, 21:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

On my recent holiday to Portugal I was often left speechless by the actions of my fellow English men and women. It seems that when we go abroad we expect everything to be just like it is at home.

For example, I heard several people complain that the reception staff didn't speak English very well. I also overheard people moaning to the holiday rep that there wasn't any English food on the menu. I even witnessed a child moaning that the Pepsi in Portugal was different to the Pepsi in the UK.

It's fucking Portugal people! They speak Portuguese and eat Portuguese food!

Do you expect your hotel staff on holiday to speak perfect English? Do you expect to eat steak and chips every night? I am genuinely interested.

2The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Thu Jul 12 2012, 21:29

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

See post below!

Last edited by bwfc71 on Thu Jul 12 2012, 21:34; edited 1 time in total

3The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Thu Jul 12 2012, 21:31

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

bwfc71 wrote:I know you have brought teh subject up, but it is a complete bug-bear with me....

Every weekend there is always trouble with English people either starting fights, or breaking laws etc etc, here in Amsterdam.

But the worst has to be, "My pint is not a pint - it has too much of a head on it!!" Firstly, the Dutch bars may have "pint" glasses, but they do not serve pints - they are large beers! Legally speaking the bars are not allowed to sell pints as on the mainland they are not allowed the lea-way of using imperial measures and as such the large beer is approx 0.5litres! Secondly when it comes to beer in Holland, they are meant to have an head and the perfect large beer has a head of two medium size figers (first and second after the thumb put together and horizontal to the glass to measure).

The Englis (and those from the former Yugoslavia) do seem to be the worst culprits. Even the Welsh, scottish and Irish are nowhere near as bad.

4The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Thu Jul 12 2012, 23:20

Natasha Whittam wrote:On my recent holiday to Portugal I was often left speechless by the actions of my fellow English men and women. It seems that when we go abroad we expect everything to be just like it is at home.

For example, I heard several people complain that the reception staff didn't speak English very well. I also overheard people moaning to the holiday rep that there wasn't any English food on the menu. I even witnessed a child moaning that the Pepsi in Portugal was different to the Pepsi in the UK.

Do you expect your hotel staff on holiday to speak perfect English? Do you expect to eat steak and chips every night? I am genuinely interested.

I think most people are guilty of that to some extent. I must admit I get annoyed when foreign places don't do simple things like steaks and fish fingers!

5The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Thu Jul 12 2012, 23:34

Owen Owen Owen wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:On my recent holiday to Portugal I was often left speechless by the actions of my fellow English men and women. It seems that when we go abroad we expect everything to be just like it is at home.

I think most people are guilty of that to some extent. I must admit I get annoyed when foreign places don't do simple things like steaks and fish fingers!

Is the last bit about fish fingers and steak a joke?? I hope it is! I never understand why you'd want/expect to go to another country and eat the same shit we do here!

Agree with Natasha, if your in another country the least you can do is attempt the language, most speak English anyway but they respect you trying. I'd get annoyed if somebody came to my work and started trying to speak Spanish to me.

6The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Thu Jul 12 2012, 23:42

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I like sampling a bit of the foreign lifestyle.
I can't be doing with going on holiday, only to go rooting for an Only Fools and Horses sort of bar that does things like steak and chips. I like going out for tea every night to eat stuff that I couldn't easily get at home. I'm also quite good at languages so I always try to learn a bit before I go.

7The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 11:48

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I go abroad to enjoy things that are different not to pretend I am in England with a bit more sunshine. I like to eat and drink what the locals eat and drink.

I only speak a little French but most French people appreciate you making the effort and are helpful not rude contrary to legend.

8The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 12:18

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

When I was on holiday a few weeks back we were behind an english bloke, we had just arrived and ready to check in, this bloke was kicking off about something or other with the guy behind the reception desk because he didn't speak good enough english for his liking. I was rather tired from the traveling so I just said to him your in spain mate what language do you want him to talk japanese.

He wasn't impressed but just walked out and shouted to the guy behind the desk ''hire someone who can speak english next time''

9The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 12:28

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Remember that Monty Python sketch with Eric Idle in the Travel Agents including -

...and being herded into endless Hotel Miramars and Bellvueses and Continentales with their modern international luxury roomettes and draught Red Barrel and swimming pools full of fat German businessmen pretending they're acrobats forming pyramids and frightening the children and barging into queues and if you're not at your table spot on seven you miss the bowl of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, the first item on the menu of International Cuisine, and every Thursday night the hotel has a bloody cabaret in the bar, featuring a tiny emaciated dago with nine-inch hips and some bloated fat tart with her hair brylcreemed down and a big arse presenting Flamenco for Foreigners...

...and then some adenoidal typists from Birmingham with flabby white legs and diarrhoea trying to pick up hairy bandy-legged wop waiters called Manuel and once a week there's an excursion to the local Roman Remains to buy cherryade and melted ice cream and bleeding Watney's Red Barrel and one evening you visit the so called typical restaurant with local colour and atmosphere and you sit next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing "Torremolinos, torremolinos" and complaining about the food - "It's so greasy isn't it?" - and you get cornered by some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and Dr. Scholl sandals and last Tuesday's Daily Express and he drones on and on about how Mr. Smith should be running this country and how many languages Enoch Powell can speak and then he throws up over the Cuba Libres...

10The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 13:07

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

doffcocker wrote:I like sampling a bit of the foreign lifestyle.
I can't be doing with going on holiday, only to go rooting for an Only Fools and Horses sort of bar that does things like steak and chips. I like going out for tea every night to eat stuff that I couldn't easily get at home. I'm also quite good at languages so I always try to learn a bit before I go.

Now where is the like button????

Totally agree.

My French and german are only secondary school standard, but slightly better as have relatives in live in France and travelled through "West" Germany quite a lot to Austria and Switzerland (and Lichtenstein) when I was younger - so picked up quite a few colloquialisms - but the locals do apprecaite you trying and do actually help out.

My Dutch, although getting better by the week, thansk to night classes, started off very poor, only knowing certain words because they are similar to Englih, but many of my Dutch friends have helped me over the last few years and still helping now.

I just really do not understand the ones that go on holiday, do not even try to speak the lingo or try the local deicatessens (although Dutch has very little in way of true Dutch food as most of it comes from Indonesia) and simply think they are English and as such want to act and be treated as though they are still in England!!!

11The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 13:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I tend to agree with most of the comments. When I go abroad I tend to eat the local cuisine and show willing. The best way to learn about foreign dishes is to try them.

I was on holiday in Thassos once and I got talking to this miserable Brummie. He said he had never been to Greece before and wouldn't be going back again because the food was rubbish. He said he had always gone to Spain before because you could get ' proper ' English food but his missus had talked him into trying Greece but he couldn't stomach any of the food. He said he was living off omelettes.

What a pillock. It's a bit like going in a Japanese restaurant and ordering fish and chips. Some people shouldn't be allowed to go abroad.

12The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 13:26

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As with some of the other comments...

if i go abroad i go there to "bathe" in the culture, it's fascinating.

the last thing i want when i go abroad is a fcuking fish and chips supper in a bit of newspaper and a bunch of sunburnt cockneys pissed up effing and jeffing in my ear.

I absolutely loathe those places in Spain which are choc full of ENGERAAARRLANDNDDD tossers with about as much culture as cats piss.

13The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 14:15

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I never go to foriegn countries cant stand them or the crap that gets called food or the language problems or their weird ways. Usa only for me.

14The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 14:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:I never go to foriegn countries cant stand them or the crap that gets called food or the language problems or their weird ways. Usa only for me.

Ha ha, you think they make good food in the USA?

15The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 14:26

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:I never go to foriegn countries cant stand them or the crap that gets called food or the language problems or their weird ways. Usa only for me.

Good old USA, the culinary capital of the World! Most yanks thinks a balanced diet means a double cheeseburger in each hand.

16The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 14:30

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Damn right it is i love their food.

17The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 14:31

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I never got the shits eating in the us.

18The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 14:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:Damn right it is i love their food.

I have nothing against American food, I love a good steak. But a burger or a hot dog is hardly world class food.

19The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 14:32

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The English Abroad Sign+pickled+pig+lips+3

20The English Abroad Empty Re: The English Abroad Fri Jul 13 2012, 14:44

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Numpty 28723 wrote:The English Abroad Sign+pickled+pig+lips+3