Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Newspaper Seller

+6
Sluffy
karlypants
Bread2.0
boltonbonce
Natasha Whittam
Andylad
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Newspaper Seller Empty Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 18:29

Andylad

David Ngog
David Ngog

Just been watching some archive footage of Bolton town centre, that brought back some memories! Hands up who used to take the piss out of the newspaper seller that always shouted "Eeeeeeeeeevening News!"

2Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 18:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Andylad wrote:Just been watching some archive footage of Bolton town centre, that brought back some memories! Hands up who used to take the piss out of the newspaper seller that always shouted "Eeeeeeeeeevening News!"

Most on here don't know what a newspaper is.

3Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 18:49

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They were giving the Bolton News away, outside the ground today.

I didn't bother.

4Newspaper Seller Empty Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 19:24

Andylad

David Ngog
David Ngog

There was also a disabled bloke with a speech impediment who sold newspapers form his wheelchair, always parked outside Kingburger. I felt a bit sorry for him Crying or Very sad

5Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 19:27

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Bernard.

6Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 19:38

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He ended up selling stationary. 

I think the BEN run an article on him when he died?

I remember always seeing him pushing himself in the wheelchair with his legs backwards as he couldn't really use his arms.

7Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 19:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The article is here: 

http://theboltonnews.co.uk/news/4128554.Death_of_well_known_Bolton_town_centre_character_Bernard/

There is apparently a plaque in Victoria Square in memory of him.

8Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 20:44

Andylad wrote:Just been watching some archive footage of Bolton town centre, that brought back some memories! Hands up who used to take the piss out of the newspaper seller that always shouted "Eeeeeeeeeevening News!"
What kind of special cunt are you?  Who used to take the piss out of the bloke with a disability who still managed to hold down a job putting some of the absolute scroats who did take the piss to shame?

Fucking prick.  I wasnt planning on posting on here again but as someone who knew him i think you are fucking scum mate.

Go back under whatever rock you crawled out of

9Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 20:49

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:
What kind of special cunt are you?  Who used to take the piss out of the bloke with a disability who still managed to hold down a job putting some of the absolute scroats who did take the piss to shame?

Fucking prick.  I wasnt planning on posting on here again but as someone who knew him i think you are fucking scum mate.

Go back under whatever rock you crawled out of
Johnny, funnily enough I actually posted something very similar until I realised that he was banging on about the usual BEN sellers who got lazy with saying what they were selling and deleted my post mate.

But I gave him benefit of the doubt but if that's the case then I take it back and he can go fuck himself.

On another note, not sure why you have stopped posting.

I will miss you! Sad

Last edited by karlypants on Sat Sep 03 2016, 20:51; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell)

10Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 21:10

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What? Boggers and Scott are back,and Johnny is gone? How has this occurred?

11Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sat Sep 03 2016, 22:47

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:The article is here: 

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/4128554.Death_of_well_known_Bolton_town_centre_character_Bernard/

There is apparently a plaque in Victoria Square in memory of him.

How sad, I remember him well.

I hadn't realised he had died but I guess the years drift pass without you knowing at times.

The article below -

A POPULAR Bolton town centre character has died at the age of 64.
Bernard Mills, of Tonge Moor, who died in the Royal Bolton Hospital on Tuesday, has no known family in the area, but was a well-known figure in Victoria Square, where he sold gifts and stationery from his wheelchair.

Close friend Fred Atherton, who lived near Mr Mills, said: “His death has come as shock. He had a cold which seemed to get worse. He was taken to hospital and died the next day.”

Originally from Accrington, Mr Mills lived in Bolton for 40 years, and according to those who knew him, was an inspiration to others.

Mr Atherton said that Mr Mills was “fiercely independent” despite having cerebral palsy.

At one time he worked selling The Bolton News outside Marks and Spencers in Bolton.

Mr Atherton said: “He was an inspiration, he never let his disability stop him from doing what he wanted.

“He worked, was independent, travelled. He was known to so many people and will be missed.”

Mr Mills was also a regular at Tonge Moor Labour Club, where members held a minute’s silence.

Bolton Social Services is arranging the funeral of Mr Mills.

I don't remember him being outside M and S, maybe he did that later in his career, I remember his 'pitch' being outside W H Smiths / British Homes Stores.

RIP Bernard.

12Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sun Sep 04 2016, 03:52

Andylad

David Ngog
David Ngog

Right....just to make things clear here.....I wasn't making fun of the disabled bloke "Bernard", and there's no need to be so hostile. I was referring to another guy, he wasn't disabled in any way, (that I was aware of ) he just had an amusing way of accenting his speech ..."Eeeeeevening news!".....did you really think I would mock a guy in a wheelchair?? Mad

13Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sun Sep 04 2016, 05:57

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:What? Boggers and Scott are back,and Johnny is gone? How has this occurred?

What's happened pal?
You were much nicer, when you weren't ganging up.

14Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sun Sep 04 2016, 08:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Seriously, this is a fucking embarrassing thread. At no point did AndyLad mock disabled people. He was simply remembering the funny way one seller (and he wasn't alone) used to advertise the fact they were selling the BEN. I have a similar memory.

Is it any wonder we hardly ever get new posters when the regulars treat them like this.

15Newspaper Seller Empty Newspaper Seller Sun Sep 04 2016, 09:17

Andylad

David Ngog
David Ngog

Thank you. Surprised

16Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sun Sep 04 2016, 10:13

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sleep

17Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sun Sep 04 2016, 10:34

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:He ended up selling stationary. 

I think the BEN run an article on him when he died?

I remember always seeing him pushing himself in the wheelchair with his legs backwards as he couldn't really use his arms.
When he was parked outside BHS at Christmas he had more stock than the store, because he was selling wrapping paper and other bits which they also sold they tried to stop him and they got pelters and soon backed down.
I used to drink in the flag where he was a regular and he even came on a pub trip to Belgium one year and he was a rum bastard.

18Newspaper Seller Empty Re: Newspaper Seller Sun Sep 04 2016, 10:54

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i think Johnny realises he got the wrong end of the stick but he is still annoyed about Scott being allowed back, that's the main reason he's gone.

Think we all need to step back and calm down,doesn't help the site when new people come on and we are all at each others throats

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum