Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parky warns his high-flying Wanderers: It won’t all be plain sailing

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The ship is turning at Wanderers but Phil Parkinson has warned there will still be difficult waters to navigate.

Even the most optimistic of Bolton fans would have struggled to predict their team would lead the way in League One after seven games, following a year from hell at the Macron.

The addition of Parkinson’s calming presence as manager, plus the remedial work being done by the new ownership gave rise to hope for the future but most people were still content that this season would be one of stability.

It has not taken long for that to change. Just five weeks in, and with Parkinson clutching a manager of the month award, the Whites boss is already having to manage increasing expectations.

Some impressive transfer deadline day captures stirred the pot of excitement and added to the sense of frustration felt as both Southend and MK Dons escaped from the Macron with a point when three appeared there for the taking for Wanderers.

Parkinson continues to dodge the hyperbole and is trying hard to keep fans’ feet on the floor for now.

“We have had a good start but I keep stressing to people, it is only a start,” he said. “We have got a lot of work to do at this club on the pitch and off the pitch. We’ve got to be really careful we don’t get carried away and just keep building things, to keep looking at players, so when January comes we’re ready to add to the squad.

“We have made strides, we have started to turn the ship around. Getting that first away win, that first home win. I inherited a team which had only won five games last season and that can be a mental problem as well as an ability one.

“But I’ve been delighted by the way the lads have tackled every individual training session so far.”

Wanderers’ relative success in League One to date has been a welcome tonic to the awful 12 months that went before.

The hurly-burly under Neil Lennon, the High Court appearances, the dalliance with insolvency, the financial chaos, all seeming like a horrible nightmare from which the club has just stirred. The scars are still there, however, and Parkinson is mindful that they will take time to heal completely.

Looking back on his decision to leave Bradford City after five years to join Bolton – one which was questioned heavily by some at the time – Parkinson insists the long-term gains were worth the gamble.

“I’ve had some tough jobs,” he added. “Colchester when I first went there and Bradford was in a very difficult situation. You never get jobs when everything is rosy, there’s always work to be done. But you have to look beyond that. There’s great potential here, a fantastic stadium, the training ground, there are so many good people working here, desperate to get the club going again and I’m going to play my part.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum