Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What would you prefer: 2nd place or Play-off victory?

+7
doffcocker
Sluffy
Lofty_Love
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
Keegan
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

We would return to the Barclays Premier League in either instance. Do you want to smugly watch two teams fight to join you in promotion or do you want to wave a trophy that pretty much says "We are not as good as the two teams that went up automatically but by God we have a trophy and we are still going up!"

I can see the good points to both but as long as we are in the Premiership next year, I'd take a trophy and a trip to Wembley. What is your view?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

2ND

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd rather walk the league like we did under Colin Todd. No better feeling than knowing you could potentially knock three or four in every game.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'd rather walk the league like we did under Colin Todd. No better feeling than knowing you could potentially knock three or four in every game.
That was not an option. we all want that obviously.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd rather choose second that the Wembley lottery play-offs. The top three teams should go up automatically and they should sack the play-offs.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Reebok Trotter wrote:I'd rather choose second that the Wembley lottery play-offs. The top three teams should go up automatically and they should sack the play-offs.

The play-offs are the best thing about the Championship

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Lofty_Love wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:I'd rather choose second that the Wembley lottery play-offs. The top three teams should go up automatically and they should sack the play-offs.

Yeah maybe but not if you lose though.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Second and guaranteed promotion - it's the only sensible answer really.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If it involved knocking out Burnley in the final, play-off victory. That would be better than pissing the league.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lofty_Love wrote:

Not for me Lofty. It's just another expensive trip to Wembley to fill the coffers of corporate sponsors. The top three should go up but TV rights and advertisers make vast sums of money from the play-offs. You can be in third place and 12 points clear of the team in seventh and lo and behold you have to go to Wembley and play them in a one off FA Cup style sudden death game. Exciting ? Yes, especially for the fans whose team finished in seventh.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Would you rather to have won the play-off to gain promotion or to have come second though? You are still up, but second just spends a shorter time in the Championship whereas third gets to win at Wembley and hold up a trophy and have confetti blowing about. The only team of the three that doesn't get to hold a trophy while being promoted is the second place team.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Leads to problems with players though - which division will they be in - finish the season some three weeks or so after everyone else - possible targets on holiday or perhaps signed up by clubs who already know where they will be playing.

Any club would rather have the certainty than the entertainment of the play offs (and perhaps ultimate disappointment).

Bolton Nuts

Admin

test

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Don't be jealous of our big game mentality Doffcocker.

If you knew the outcome and it was guaranteed then it has to be the Play Offs every time.

If you have even half the season as we did when Susan's lad was last in this league, then you're in for a cracker.

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Copper Dragon wrote:

If you knew the outcome and it was guaranteed then it has to be the Play Offs every time.

This is true

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

True. But nobody knows the outcome and it isn't guaranteed. I do agree that it is exciting and gives four teams a chance to get promoted but I think it is very unfair on the team that finished third. If you asked the fans of the team that finished third whether they would prefer to be promoted automatically or have a go in the play-offs, I know what the answer would be. In fact, I can guarantee it.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

How about keep the play offs and have 4 up 4 down top 3 go up auto just a thought.

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I would rather go up withoput play-offs, even if it means coming 2nd and having no trophy!!!

Talking of play-offs I would rather see bottom 2, of the higher division, get automatic relegation and top 2, of the lower division, getting automatic promotion the 3rd bottom and 3rd top play off against each other for the final spot in the higher division!

Hopefully that didn't sound too complicated!

Born to be a wanderer

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

1st or 2nd play offs too much tension.Bolton v Reading 95 what would have happenned if keith Branagan had not saved that penalty.Where would we be know.But he did and we have had some great times.KB legend.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum