Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

All time Burnden Park XI

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1All time Burnden Park XI Empty All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 13:21

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Bolton News have an article today about this so i thought i would shamelessly steal it and put it on here for us to come up with our favourite players from the Burnden Park era.

I'll have to get my thinking cap to remember if certain players actually played at Burnden but a few pick themselves like Supa John.

Go on give it a go  Very Happy

Last edited by Norpig on Thu 3 Nov - 13:44; edited 1 time in total

2All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 13:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Branagan  

Brown    Bergsson    Seagraves   Cowdrill

Johannsen   Frandsen   McAteer  Alan Thompson

McGinlay Walker

Mine are only from when i first started going to Burnden in 1987 but i think it's a decent team!

3All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 20:00

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I don't get this ? if your picking the best team then it needs to reflect the best players, so to just pick players you have seen to me makes it a nonsense.

It seems blatantly obvious that for instance Lofthouse who scored 30 goals in 33 games for England despite if you saw him or not, his record makes Mcginlay and Walker who only delivered outside the top tier a bit of Joke. Plus Frank Worthington was better than both?

Branagan again a great club man but against Hopkinsons record for both club and country he just doesn't figure.

This is not supposed to be the best team you have seen but the best to have ever played at Burnden park, I cant even take your back four seriously.

If we go down this route then most will just pick the team that went up in 1995 under Rioch similar to your team. No Paul Jones, Peter Thomson, Peter Reid, Freddy Hill , Francis Lee kept out by Cowdrill and Seagrave etc ?

4All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 20:25

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:It seems blatantly obvious that for instance Lofthouse who scored 30 goals in 33 games for England despite if you saw him or not, his record makes Mcginlay and Walker who only delivered outside the top tier a bit of Joke. Plus Frank Worthington was better than both?

It's blatantly obvious that the standard of football was far greater in Division 3 in the 90's than Division 1 in the 50's.

5All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 20:52

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

You can only really pick a team from those you have seen surely.

6All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 20:59

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No i have never seen Pele but everything tells me he was better than Cowdrill?

If your right then the majority of posters will be from the final ten tears at Burnden so you might as well just name the promotion side from the Rioch era.

7All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 21:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:No i have never seen Pele but everything tells me he was better than Cowdrill?

Pele wasn't a left back. Are you mixing him up with Moxey?

8All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 21:22

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Peter Nicholson

9All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Thu 3 Nov - 21:24

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Point take Wessy but the question was "Your all time  Burnden era 11"

So some have a greater range to choose from mine would be 1977 to 1997.

10All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Fri 4 Nov - 8:40

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:I don't get this ? if your picking the best team then it needs to reflect the best players, so to just pick players you have seen to me makes it a nonsense.

It seems blatantly obvious that for instance Lofthouse who scored 30 goals in 33 games for England despite if you saw him or not, his record makes Mcginlay and Walker who only delivered outside the top tier a bit of Joke. Plus Frank Worthington was better than both?

Branagan again a great club man but against Hopkinsons record for both club and country he just doesn't figure.

This is not supposed to be the best team you have seen but the best to have ever played at Burnden park, I cant even take your back four seriously.

If we go down this route then most will just pick the team that went up in 1995 under Rioch similar to your team. No Paul Jones, Peter Thomson, Peter Reid, Freddy Hill , Francis Lee kept out by Cowdrill and Seagrave etc ?
Taking this all far too seriously Wessy, calm down and stop being so pompous

As i said on my team they are from when i first started going to Burnden and yes they may not be the best players we've ever had but they are my personal favourites

11All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Fri 4 Nov - 20:43

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Norpig wrote:
wessy wrote:I don't get this ? if your picking the best team then it needs to reflect the best players, so to just pick players you have seen to me makes it a nonsense.

Taking this all far too seriously Wessy, calm down and stop being so pompous

As i said on my team they are from when i first started going to Burnden and yes they may not be the best players we've ever had but they are my personal favourites
Apologies Norpig did sound like a bit of an arse, just meant that by picking the team we have seen rules out some of the greatest players to wear the shirt, most people that will bother will be the younger end, so your going to get a team that will not represent the best. However the so called experts will end up picking a team to appease all.

12All time Burnden Park XI Empty Re: All time Burnden Park XI Fri 4 Nov - 22:06

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

11 Mark Pattersons would piss this league

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum