Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Taggart: Sensible manager choice in summer made Wanderers a stable ship again

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gerry Taggart believes the safe choice has proven to be the right one for his former club Wanderers.

The gritty Northern Irishman reckons Phil Parkinson’s appointment in the summer provided the right note of stability at a time when the Whites looked to be sinking fast.

Taggart, who who made 81 appearances for the club between 1995 and 1998, is happy to see Bolton on the up again after a good start to life in League One.

And he feels by passing on some of the more ‘fashionable’ names in the summer, Wanderers gave themselves the best possible chance of bouncing back immediately to the Championship.

“I think Parkinson is a fantastic appointment for the club,” said the former centre-half in an interview with Bwin Sports. “He is an established manager at Championship and League One level and knows the latter division inside out.

“The most impressive attribute about him is his way of slowly grinding out results and I think he was the best and safest choice to get the club out of this rut they have found themselves in.”

Taggart was virtually ever-present for Colin Todd as his side romped to promotion in 1996/97 in the final year at Burnden with a record points total and, though it is still early days in the season, feels there is a similarly indestructible quality about the modern days Wanderers too.

“They currently sit second in the league and they have a great chance of automatic promotion. Parkinson is building a good balance of youth and experience in the team,” he said.

“I’m confident he’ll continue to go about his business with no nonsense and get the job done at Bolton. The club has needed stability and he will bring it.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum