Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Parkinson wants in-form midfielder Josh Vela to stay grounded

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson won’t let Josh Vela get carried away despite his white-hot form for Wanderers.

The midfielder, who turned 23 this week, has scored four goals in his last eight games and earned praise from fans and pundits alike.

But while his manager is delighted to see the young Salfordian realising his potential at the Macron, he singled him out this week as an example to the rest of his squad, urging them to keep their focus in this weekend’s meeting with Chesterfield.

“Josh is a good player playing well but he’s an example to the rest who have got to keep their feet on the ground at the moment,” he told The Bolton News.

“I’m expecting big things from him – and this is just the start. But I’ve said to the lads on many occasions that the attitude has to be just right. The moment you think you’ve cracked it, things have a nasty way of catching up to you. I can’t fault the way the lads go about their business. We’ve got some good leaders in the camp like (David) Wheater and (Jay) Spearing – you’ve got a great chance with players like that in your team. They will help keep things going the right way for us.”

Wanderers have won each of the six games in which Vela has scored this season, and Parkinson feels his natural instincts around the penalty box could see him add plenty more to his total.

“He’s got a real calmness in front of goal and you see that time and time again in training,” he said.

“At the start of the season he got some important goals and obviously his all-round play has been excellent – he’s not just a player who arrives in the box, he passes it, gets back into the midfield and helps out all the time tackling.”

Wanderers chairman Ken Anderson claimed this week he would turn down all but the most outlandish bids for his top players in January to give the club maximum chance of promotion – a statement which was naturally welcomed by Parkinson.

“Like I’ve said all along, we want to build this squad, we want to give these supporters something back,” he said. “We want to improve, not to lose our best players.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum