Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Max Clayton can still be a goal-getter, says Phil Parkinson

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson reckons Max Clayton will still have a say in Wanderers’ promotion run-in.

The Whites boss watched the young striker score for the Development Squad in a 2-1 win over Sheffield United on Monday night.

Encouraged by what he saw at Bramall Lane – Parkinson is now challenging Clayton to stake his claim for a regular first-team spot.

“I think that’s the best Max has played this season, so I’m very pleased for him,” he told The Bolton News. “We played him in a slightly different position, number nine right at the top of the pitch, and he did well.

“We used Viv Solomon-Otabor alongside him and I thought with his real pace the two of them worked great together. Max got a real goal-scorer’s goal and I’ve said all along he has that intelligence around the box. It was good to see.”

All of Clayton’s eight appearances for the Whites this season have been from the bench following long-term injury.

The former Crewe front man missed nearly 12 months with a severe hamstring tear and then persistent knee problems but returned in November in the Checkatrade Trophy and also scored a equaliser at Coventry City in January.

Parkinson insists the 22-year-old has got a part to play as Wanderers’ season boils down to the last dozen games, starting with a trip to in-form Fleetwood Town.

“Everyone has to understand that when you have been out for that long that things will take time,” he said. “I keep saying to Max that he needs to keep himself sharp because we will need him.”

No clearance has yet been received on midfielder Jem Karacan from the Football League – which means he is unlikely to make the squad travelling to Highbury on Saturday.

The club is not commenting on how long Jay Spearing’s knee injury will leave him on the side-lines, although The Bolton News understands it is not a significant ligament tear as first feared.

Meanwhile, tickets for the April 1 game against Chesterfield are now just £5 as the club designated it a community fixture.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum