Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sam Allardyce: I won't manage Bolton again, but I'd be willing to help them in the future

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sam Allardyce is back in demand as a manager but he has ruled out ever returning to the Bolton dugout.

Odds-on favourite for the vacant job at Everton, the 63-year-old looks set for a return to football, five months after handing in his resignation at Crystal Palace.

Allardyce left Wanderers in 2007 after a fall-out with former chairman Phil Gartside but still lives in the town and has often been linked with a comeback.

But speaking exclusively in The Bolton News, the Whites legend said he would only be interested in a role “upstairs” should one become available in the future.

“Would I ever go back to Bolton? No, not as a manager,” he said.

“Maybe one day, if they needed help, and they wanted to properly move forward, get back into the Premier League and re-invent themselves then I’d come on in some capacity.”

Allardyce says he regrets the bitterness which ensued after his departure at Wanderers, shortly before they embarked on a second European campaign.

“Even now, I will say it was still such a shame to have left the club under the circumstances I did. It was my very, very sad decision to make,” he said. “But that decision came from my mind, and at the time I just couldn’t let my heart overrule that decision.”

Source

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've been asked to post the following up -

The Gospel according to Samuel begins:

“When I got there, the club was clearly in a bad position, which is why I was given the job''
and ends:

“The club had such a fantastic period of time which the fans won’t forget.”

Well as I remember it, when Samuel was given the job, BWFC had a fantastic new stadium had only just failed to regain a position in the Premiership (losing to Watford in the play-off final) and had players on its books like Bergsson, Jaaskelainen, Gudjohnsen, Jensen, Johansen, Gardner and a few decent English players like Warhurst, Elliott and erm Holdsworth.

There was a bit of a cash flow issue which was immediately resolved by recruiting a certain E Davies to the Board who bankrolled the club for the next fifteen years and allowed Allardyce to get Per Frandsen back from Blackburn and go on to bring in the likes of Djorkaeff, Campo, Okocha, Hierro and Anelka, to name just a few.

But Allardyce doesn't want to give any credit to the man who provided the financial security for it all to happen and who was paying Allardyce £1.5million p.a. before the great one waltzed off to Newcastle leaving 'little old Bolton' in the crisis from which it is still struggling to recover.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:I've been asked to post the following up -

By whom?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
Sluffy wrote:I've been asked to post the following up -

By whom?

By someone who sent me a pm, saying they've stopped posting on all forums but would appreciate it if I would kindly post up what I did.

I guess they have their reasons for doing what they did and as the post seems reasonable comment in my opinion and it was no hardship in posting up - I did so.

They didn't specifically ask me not to state who they were but I guess they would have simply posted it up themselves if they wanted people to know who they are.

Sorry if I'm being somewhat mysterious but it was an unusual request, which put me in a slightly awkward position (we want people posting themselves, obviously) but was something that could be easily done and hopefully will lead to that person posting stuff directly themselves in future.

Hope so anyway.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OK. Hope we all don't start posting that way though. Laughing

In passing,is it an ex poster? If so,I don't see why he/she is so shy.

As to the meat of the post,I'm not having it. We were in the bottom half of the table when BSA arrived,and,good as the squad was,he was the catalyst for all that followed.
For some reason or another,there are still people ready,and willing, to belittle his achievements with the Wanderers,and,for the life of me,I can't understand it.
I know some are even blaming him for the position we're in now. It's all bollocks.
I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:OK. Hope we all don't start posting that way though. Laughing

In passing,is it an ex poster? If so,I don't see why he/she is so shy.

As to the meat of the post,I'm not having it. We were in the bottom half of the table when BSA arrived,and,good as the squad was,he was the catalyst for all that followed.
For some reason or another,there are still people ready,and willing, to belittle his achievements with the Wanderers,and,for the life of me,I can't understand it.
I know some are even blaming him for the position we're in now. It's all bollocks.
I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

They have certainly posted on Nuts in the past (and I've seen them on at least one other forum) but they've not posted as far as I believe for over a few months now.

I wished they would - that's what having a forum is all about in the first place - but obviously that choice is thier's.

As for Allardyce, I don't think anybody would seriously argue that he wasn't the best manager we've had in living memory, with probably only the likes of Armfield, Greaves and possibly Todd being worthy of mention.

I do however think Allardyce knew completely what he was doing in jumping ship when he did - leaving us with an aging squad, with little resale value (Anelka apart) and a massive squad rebuilding exercise being required - of which non of our subsequent managers (perhaps Megson apart) has been able to achieve until current times under Parkinson and the Andersons.

Maybe if he had stuck it out until the new Sky money came in the following season things may have turned out differently but he left us to spend time with his family only to pop up two weeks later as the new manager of Newcastle.

I can't foresee  Allardyce ever returning as manager simply because his stock is way too high as an in demand Premier League manager still.

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

BSA did do us good, along with Eddie. But both up sticks and sodded off at such short notice that we were absolutely stuffed on both occasions. No argument about the good they both did. Even Ginger Mourinho saw us in Europe before the wheels came off. The days of Todd, Rioch and Allardyce will never be repeated without the same result happening. Look at Leicester now as opposed to last season. It is not only the manager who gets us promoted, the players also have some responsibility in things and this season will be different to last and next season.
   The top lot can afford the obscene millions they chuck at players and we'll never aspire to that level in a 28,000 seater stadium, even topped up every match but as long as we keep fighting, we'll do okay.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whoever posted it should have the balls to admit to it and not hide behind Sluffy. Their opinion is a load of bollocks by the way if they are reading this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum