Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gary Megson

+9
Hip Priest
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
gloswhite
Growler
Bollotom2014
Reebok Trotter
karlypants
Sluffy
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Gary Megson Empty Gary Megson Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:54 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

New interim boss at West Brom.

Tony Pulis has been sacked as West Brom head coach with the club a point above the Premier League relegation zone and without a win in 10 top-flight games.
The Baggies were beaten 4-0 at home by Chelsea on Saturday.
Albion won their first three games of the season, but have drawn four and lost seven since beating Accrington in the Carabao Cup on 22 August.
Former West Brom manager Gary Megson, who had been Pulis' assistant, is taking over "until further notice".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck to him I say - although I'm sure that many Bolton fans won't share that wish!

2Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:14 pm

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Good luck to him I say - although I'm sure that many Bolton fans won't share that wish!
No because he's a tosser. Very Happy

3Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:New interim boss at West Brom.

Tony Pulis has been sacked as West Brom head coach with the club a point above the Premier League relegation zone and without a win in 10 top-flight games.
The Baggies were beaten 4-0 at home by Chelsea on Saturday.
Albion won their first three games of the season, but have drawn four and lost seven since beating Accrington in the Carabao Cup on 22 August.
Former West Brom manager Gary Megson, who had been Pulis' assistant, is taking over "until further notice".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck to him I say - although I'm sure that many Bolton fans won't share that wish!

I was watching Meggo pacing the touchline on MOTD during the Chelsea game and he looked a forlorn figure. Interim manager is about right! I can't see him keeping the job long! Since Pulis took him on as his No 2 the Baggies have suffered a terrible run of form. Meggo can have that effect on players. He should change his name to Jonas.

4Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I wonder if he had a few whispered conversations with the chairman. Could be a meeting of minds next term if we have to face WB in the Championship.

5Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Let's hope so! It means we have survived and Meggo has brought the Baggies down!

6Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 am

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I'm hoping he keeps Pulis's team up and is then given £40 million to build a new team as he was at Bolton.
Let him ruin another club

7Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:03 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Why did they keep him as well ?  he must have had some input into the baggies wayward form.

8Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

West Brom fans still love him from his time there before so the board probably thought it wouldn't be an issue leaving him in charge. I personally wouldn't let him run my bath nevermind a football team.

9Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Meggo cheerful as always, looking forward to his trip to Wembley against Tottenham

""Getting to Wembley is being an international player or reaching a cup final. I played in three semi-finals and lost the lot. This is a league game that happens to be at Wembley. It isn't the same."

10Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:05 pm

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Just watched his post match interview and I still can't stand the sight or sound of the bastard. I'm clearly not softening up in my old age.

11Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Heard a half time report from Wembley and I couldn't help laughing. The commentator said " Spurs are really going to have a struggle to get level in the second half. You're all familiar with teams playing with a conventional back 4 but since Albion pinched an early lead they've been playing with a back 10" Laughing
Yes, I remember it well.

12Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Lets not forget that Meggo spent a lot more money in his 2 years as Bolton manager than big spenders Wolves have the last two years.
Its a crying shame that £40 million was given to Meggo to play in the transfer market with rather than a quality manager.

13Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:51 am

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Just watching his post match interview, I think even if I wasn't a Bolton fan I'd have an intense desire to see him fail miserably at everything. I really don't understand how anybody ever could be endeared by him as a person. He's sort of like the series dick on The Apprentice; massive egomaniac, no character, just a moaning dullard that takes himself way too seriously.

14Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:23 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Growler wrote:Lets not forget that Meggo spent a lot more money in his 2 years as Bolton manager than big spenders Wolves have the last two years.
Its a crying shame that £40 million was given to Meggo to play in the transfer market with rather than a quality manager.
Mixed bag his signings. I thought Gary Cahill, Gretar Steinsson, Tamir Cohen (for 650K) Chung Yong Lee, Sam Ricketts, Fabrice Muamba, and Ivan Klasnic were all good business. Elmander was a quality winger but cost way too much and mysteriously was hyped as a striker although I still can't work out where they got that from. And there were a few disappointments like Danny Shittu, Rasiak, Matty Taylor, Puygrenier, Smolarek and Makukula. There were a handful that I thought he was unlucky with i.e. good players who picked up injuries especially Sean Davies and Mavies and some that worked out as "average" e.g. Zat Knight and Paul Robinson.
He gambled on players to get us back to the top - which he had to do with only £40 million - and got mixed results, but it was his playing style more than his signings that made him unpopular. It was effing dire.
But to organise a losing team like the Baggies so that they can get a draw against the mighty Spuds attack is decent. You know what you're getting with Megson - grab a goal and sit back in numbers - very similar to Parky but better at organising the defence.

15Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:28 pm

Wanderers for 45

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Yes they could of give it BSA when we were 3rd in the Premier New Year’s Day 2007,he only wanted £20 million. We can only sit scratching our balls (and ladies their bits NW,)what may have happened if the money BSA wanted to get us to the Champions Leauge had been given. BSA was refused funds yet Smegson was given a fortune.

16Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:06 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Wanderers for 45 wrote:Yes they could of give it BSA when we were 3rd in the Premier New Year’s Day 2007,he only wanted £20 million. We can only sit scratching our balls (and ladies their bits NW,)what may have happened if the money BSA wanted to get us to the Champions Leauge had been given. BSA was refused funds yet Smegson was given a fortune.

Could be something to do with the new Sky money kicking in from the start of the season after Allardyce 'retired' to spend time with his family - and with the first available chance to spend it being when Megson was in charge (following Lee's disastrous period in charge).

17Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I see Meggo's final match as the West Brom manager saw him squander a 2-0 lead at home to draw 2-2.The same as his last match as Bolton manager when he felt that sending on Gavin McCann would be the best way to see out the lead against Hull's about to be relegated team.

18Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:22 pm

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember his final game for us, i was screaming abuse at him from my seat and was extremely happy he was sacked the next day.

19Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Nice to see Megson end that little stint on a downer last night.

As for the appointment of Pardew, didn't he lose his last two jobs for being in more or less the same position West Brom are in now?

Give it a year, he'll keep them up, maybe even get them in the top half, then they'll have a bad start the season after and bring a Pulis type in to keep them up.

20Gary Megson Empty Re: Gary Megson Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:32 pm

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

One of my "favourite" Meggo memories was after spending £40 million on players he set a team up to draw 0-0 at  home to Hibernian in a pre season friendly/testimonial.

One of my first matches at Burnden Park was a 5-5 draw in a testimonial and then along came Meggo to thrill us.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum