Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bennell and Gary Speed

+2
Reebok Trotter
okocha
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Bennell and Gary Speed Tue Jan 09 2018, 19:36

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42623499

There is a suspicion that Gary might have been one of Bennell's victims. As a young man, Speed apparently spent a weekend at Bennell's house when he was coaching/talent spotting in the area as many other promising starlets did.
 Speed's father has spoken briefly  about the possibility and wonders if it might have been an issue in what was otherwise an unexplained suicide.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiI8si50cvYAhVEJMAKHR9NDTwQFgg8MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-news%2Ftragic-gary-speed-stayed-paedophile-9349710&usg=AOvVaw2dxO2y4uOycqenfKDZn9f5

2Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Wed Jan 10 2018, 16:03

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not just Gary Speed. Alan Davies who played for United was another who was coached by Bennell. He also committed suicide. That evil bastard Bennell has a lot to answer for.

3Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Thu Feb 15 2018, 21:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

STATEMENT: On behalf of Gary Speed’s family. #LMA #SSN

Bennell and Gary Speed DWGZEKjX4Ac6cB7

4Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Fri Feb 16 2018, 08:43

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There was a programme on channel 4 last night about Bennell and one of the abused men said categorically that Speed was abused as he was in the same bed as him when it happened.

The programme also said that 2 of the high profile footballers who were the first to come forward had actually written letters supporting Bennell back in the 90's. It just shows how much they wanted to hide this away and not admit it happened so it's plausible to believe Speed just didn't want to admit anything had happened. It would explain a lot about why he took his own life as well.

5Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Fri Feb 16 2018, 11:06

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Whatever the eventual outcome, I think it would be best if the press did as the family requested, and let it rest. Its much more than a headline to them.
Seemingly, another 86 have now put in reports of his actions.

6Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Fri Feb 16 2018, 12:00

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Obviously everyone would want to respect Speed's parents' wishes.

However, it beggars belief, knowing what we know now, that Gary evidently spent at least one weekend at Bennell's house and did not, at the very least, become the victim of approaches by him. 

I witnessed mild sexual abuse in my first year at senior school. When the boy committed suicide much later, I felt I should report what I had seen to the police, who then interviewed the PE and junior school teacher involved, and, in their words, put the fear of God into him, but did not have enough to charge him. 

This teacher left his job and became a physio (a related profession??) at Wanderers! The police told me they investigated at the junior and senior school and at BWFC. They kept in touch with me throughout....I was impressed, especially as they had contacted the relevant football-child protection officer based at Wembley Stadium, who also rang me to get further details. I don't think the authorities could have done more, but the teacher denied everything and my memories did not carry enough weight to bring charges, of course. 
It turns out that the boy's brother who went to the same junior and senior school and had the same teacher also apparently committed suicide. The parents had passed away by the time the police investigated.

7Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Fri Feb 16 2018, 15:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

8Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Fri Feb 16 2018, 15:44

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It truly is shocking he got away with it for so long and clubs like Crewe did nothing about it. As you say Sluffy, a grim read.

Thank God things are changing. my Son plays for a local team and i've been roped in as a parent lead (assisting the coaches essentially) and i've had to have a DBS check. Although it's no guarantee as people can slip through the net, a lot more emphasis is placed on safeguarding so lets hope none of these types of incidents ever happen again.

9Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Fri Feb 16 2018, 19:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fortunately Bennell has throat cancer and has had part of his tongue removed. Kharma.

10Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Mon Feb 19 2018, 16:14

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bennell just sentenced to 31 years, although he will only serve half (if he lives that long, lets hope not) and then the other half on license.

11Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Mon Feb 19 2018, 16:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dario Gradi and the board at Crewe,must be put under the microscope.

12Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Mon Feb 19 2018, 17:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

boltonbonce wrote:Dario Gradi and the board at Crewe,must be put under the microscope.
Especially as a former board member has stated that the problem had been presented to them

13Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Tue Feb 20 2018, 08:35

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've been very disappointed with Crewe and their constant denials, they knew what was going on for sure. For a club that has built it's reputation on developing youth it must be hard to admit it but they keep burying their heads in the sand. I wouldn't let my Son go to Crewe if he ever got scouted just on principle alone now.

14Bennell and Gary Speed Empty Re: Bennell and Gary Speed Tue Feb 20 2018, 13:28

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Dario Gradi and the board at Crewe,must be put under the microscope.

Especially as one of the former directors of Crewe claimed they had a board meeting about Bennell's conduct in 1990 and that Gradi was present during the meeting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum