Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Burke a better player than Wheater?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

REECE Burke’s recent form has helped him nudge ahead of David Wheater in the centre-back pecking order at Wanderers, says Phil Parkinson.
The West Ham loanee has started the last two games at Reading and Sheffield Wednesday, whereas Wheater – one of this season’s mainstays – has been dropped from the squad entirely.
Burke had a patchy loan spell in the first half of the season but since returning from the Hammers for a second stint at the end of January, has started five of the last seven games. The 21-year-old substantiated his inclusion at Hillsborough with a man-of-the-match performance.

But Wheater’s disappearance from the match-day squad has set tongues wagging among the Bolton fans and Parkinson hinted the 31-year-old could continue his spell on the sidelines if he sticks with the 4-5-1 formation against Aston Villa on Saturday.
“We felt we wanted to go with the back four against Reading, and Sheffield Wednesday, and have Dorian (Dervite) on the bench,” Parkinson told The Bolton News. “It’s good we have decisions to make. We have to choose the right team and that will be the same for Aston Villa.”
Only Ben Alnwick and Mark Beevers have started more Championship games than Wheater this season – but Parkinson believes Burke has dealt well with his return to the team.
“Sheffield Wednesday was a huge test because the player he was marking, Atdhe Nuhiu, is a big unit who gets a load of stick from the Wednesday fans,” he said. “I’ve seen him come off the bench loads of times and the fans start moaning – but right now he looks like a better player, to me, because there are a lot of games in the players’ legs.
“It was always going to be a question of whether we could handle his physicality. Reece is good on the ball but he’s also a really tough customer. And even though he’s only a young lad learning his trade, I think he is handling himself well.
“I am pleased because he’s been out of the team but not let his head get down.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/16085270.Burke_is_doing_the_business_for_Wanderers__says_Parkinson/

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I would rather have Wheater and Burke together as Beevers hasn't been anywhere near as good as last season and in my opinion Wheater is the better defender.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:I would rather have Wheater and Burke together as Beevers hasn't been anywhere near as good as last season and in my opinion Wheater is the better defender.

I'm fairly sure that Wheater and Burke are naturally right sided defenders and Beevers left sided. Maybe Parkinson has gone for the balance at the back being better than the two best players having to fit in together?

Seems reasonable thinking to me if that is what he's opted for.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm better than both of them. Have they scored a glorious 25 yard volley at Deepdale with a broken ankle?

Sluffy wrote:
Norpig wrote:I would rather have Wheater and Burke together as Beevers hasn't been anywhere near as good as last season and in my opinion Wheater is the better defender.

I'm fairly sure that Wheater and Burke are naturally right sided defenders and Beevers left sided.  Maybe Parkinson has gone for the balance at the back being better than the two best players having to fit in together?

Think Parkinson is looking for the best blend of players, but not left side right side. Think it’s more that Burke has more pace and is better on the floor, so a better compliment for Wheater or Beevers.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

I'm fairly sure that Wheater and Burke are naturally right sided defenders and Beevers left sided.  Maybe Parkinson has gone for the balance at the back being better than the two best players having to fit in together?

Think Parkinson is looking for the best blend of players, but not left side right side. Think it’s more that Burke has more pace and is better on the floor, so a better compliment for Wheater or Beevers.

Yes, so?

If Burke's natural side is on the right and he's considered our best centre back then wouldn't it be obvious to play him in that position?

So that being the case you either play him with a centre back playing in his natural position - Beevers, or one that is not - Wheater.

That's why I think Parkinson has paired him with Beevers rather than Wheater - for better balance at the back - ie players playing in their natural positions, rather than forcing maybe a better player in Wheater in the team in not his natural position and risk effecting and unsettling the whole of the defence.

That's my thinking anyway.

So? What do you mean, so? 

I’m giving my opinion that Parky sees Burke as a better partner due to his pace and ability on the floor.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:So? What do you mean, so? 

I’m giving my opinion that Parky sees Burke as a better partner due to his pace and ability on the floor.

I'm not disputing that.

Did you think I was?

No, I’m asking why you’re saying ‘yes, so?’ Implying you’re waiting for me to make a point. 

What more would you like me to add?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:No, I’m asking why you’re saying ‘yes, so?’ Implying you’re waiting for me to make a point. 

What more would you like me to add?

To be honest I've not a clue what point you are trying to make.

Burke is the best current centre back we have in Parkinson's opinion and it seems mine and yours also.

The only question seems to be, is which out of Wheater or Beevers he pairs with him.

I believe that to be Beevers because Burke is naturally right sided and Beevers left sided. The alternative is to play Burke or Beevers out of position.

Seeing that you agree Burke is currently the best centre back of the three (so should be in the team) and not made any case of who should play alongside him, I'm at a loss to understand whatever it is the point you are trying to make?

I think Parky prefers to play Burke over Wheater because he has more pace and is better on the ground, therefore a better foil for Beevers.

I’ve no idea who the best centre back is at the club, I haven’t seen enough of them all this season.

If you can’t grasp that point we may as well give up and shut the forum down, it’s hardly complicated.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:I think Parky prefers to play Burke over Wheater because he has more pace and is better on the ground, therefore a better foil for Beevers.

I’ve no idea who the best centre back is at the club, I haven’t seen enough of them all this season.

If you can’t grasp that point we may as well give up and shut the forum down, it’s hardly complicated.

You've already said that he's a better compliment for either Wheater or Beevers - no one has disagreed.  I've simply stated how I believe Parkinson's partnered him with Beevers instead of Wheater.

Norpig and I were already discussing which was the best pairing with Burke was when you quoted us to join in on that point. Norpig saying it should be Wheater and me saying it's a better balance with Beevers I believe.

Now you are saying you weren't making any point about what the best partnership would be - so why did you join in on that discussion then?

No wonder your post made no sense in the context you posted it in.

Almost as though you were looking for some sort of an argument!

Sluffy, what are you talking about? All I did was offer an opinion on the topic of why Burke is in over Wheater.

You responded with ‘yes, so?’. I’ve clarified my point for you twice now, the point was obvious. What your issue is (beyond the usual) is not.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:Sluffy, what are you talking about? All I did was offered an opinion on the topic of why Burke is in over Wheater.

You responded with ‘yes, so?’. I’ve clarified my point for you twice now, the point was obvious. What you issue is (beyond the usual) is not.

I responded 'yes, so?', because you quoted Norpig and I, yet you didn't add anything to what we were discussing - namely which was the better centre back PAIRING alongside Burke?

I couldn't understand what you were trying to add to what Norpig and I had said (neither of us were saying Burke should not be in the team - indeed we were discussing which of the other two should join him!).  

You certainly didn't state any preference on the best pairing between Burke and Wheater or Burke and Beevers.  In fact you still haven't.

As you hadn't added anything to the point that was specifically being discussed it's little wonder that I queried 'so what?' to what you posted (which had no relevance as to which of Wheater or Beevers should play alongside Burke in the team) and went on to elaborate the point we were talking about again because I honestly thought you had completely missed it!

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is Burke a better player than Wheater? 200w

Okay, so you felt my comment didn’t add anything. I disagree, can we leave it at that?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is Burke a better player than Wheater? E31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Is Burke a better player than Wheater? E31
Yeah. So? Cool

Laughing Laughing