Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this a good use of public money?

+9
Cajunboy
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
Reebok Trotter
y2johnny
karlypants
wanderlust
Norpig
xmiles
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Is this a good use of public money? Empty Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 12:45

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Feel free to chip in with other examples but this seems to sadly be a complete waste of money:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43550383

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It is a waste of money sadly but i do feel this case gets far more publicity than lots of other similar cases. 
For what it's worth i don't believe the parents are involved,they were just idiots for leaving their kids alone and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Norpig wrote:It is a waste of money sadly but i do feel this case gets far more publicity than lots of other similar cases. 
For what it's worth i don't believe the parents are involved,they were just idiots for leaving their kids alone and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

Exactly how I feel Norpig.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
Norpig wrote:It is a waste of money sadly but i do feel this case gets far more publicity than lots of other similar cases. 

The reason more funding was granted is exactly because it was a high profile media case and is therefore political due to ongoing media attention.
Unfortunately there are hundreds of less known other cases of families seeking answers and justice that will be denied the funding as a result of this.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:

And me.

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

But kate and gerry are doctors.  Upstanding middle class at its finest.

Deplorable if you ask me

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

If shaz and dave left the kids at home while they nipped in the top bull on the corner and one of their kids got "abducted!" Im pretty sure the other 17 would be taken off them.

Deplorable if you ask me
Well said Johnny!  :clap:

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

:agree:

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:By leaving their kids alone while they was out drinking they are involved.  Simple as.

Deplorable if you ask me

I take your point Johnny, but the day we give up searching for a missing kid is the day society has finally imploded.

10Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:47

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Deplorable if you ask me

I take your point Johnny, but the day we give up searching for a missing kid is the day society has finally imploded.
What about the other missing kids that never got this money spent on trying to find them?

11Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This has been going on for eleven years and they have had millions of pounds spent on searching for one child with some police officers having their jollies abroad with it.

How many other children could we have helped with all that money?

12Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 19:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:What about the other missing kids that never got this money spent on trying to find them?

I presume you have examples? I'm not aware of any other kids being snatched abroad other than Ben Needham, and I believe money was made available just recently to dig a patch of land in Greece.

I don't believe the police would give up on any kid who they thought had been abducted.

13Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 20:48

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

14Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 21:20

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I'd never leave my kids on their own and go out on the piss therefore putting me in their position

15Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 21:34

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

How much funds did the Portuguese government put into all the investigative work etc?

16Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 21:38

y2johnny

y2johnny
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Deplorable if you ask me

I agree Nat. We shouldnt give up. But they've never been brought to account for the fact they left them on their own in the first place. 

Too many inconsistencies. But thats just my opinion. Like ive said above.

Id never leave my kids on their own (drugged or otherwise) while i went out living the high life

17Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Tue Mar 27 2018, 21:46

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

At a time when money is tight you have to wonder why it was decided to spend more money on what is almost certainly a complete waste of time. Ultimately you do have to put a price on a child's life just as you do when deciding whether someone should be given very expensive medical treatment. There is not an unlimited supply of money.

18Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 07:58

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:Its not about the money, nor the parents. Its about an innocent child being either stolen and possibly/probably killed. Can you really put a price on that child's life, especially if the authorities, for whatever reason, are prepared to fund the investigation ? Just thank your lucky stars that you haven't been put in their position.

At a time when money is tight you have to wonder why it was decided to spend more money on what is almost certainly a complete waste of time. Ultimately you do have to put a price on a child's life just as you do when deciding whether someone should be given very expensive medical treatment. There is not an unlimited supply of money.
Taking your argument a little further, do you stop treating somebody when they reach a certain age, or they have a little less than a 50/50 chance. With your progressive thinking, have you contemplated what happens when the likes of you and I get to a certain age, and society deems us an irrelevance, (because its going that way)? 
If its as black and white as you say, ask the old person on the hospital bed if they would like to stay alive at the expense of a missing child. I accept some of what your saying, but there are times when compromises have to be made, and the money isn't really that much in the great scheme of things. (after all, they gave a billion to the DUP)

19Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 09:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not sure how you can use the DUP as an example Glos as that was just a bribe for the Tories to stay in power.

Win at all costs and all that.

Don’t forget that there definitely is no money tree now! Very Happy

20Is this a good use of public money? Empty Re: Is this a good use of public money? Wed Mar 28 2018, 09:32

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:

Taking your argument a little further, do you stop treating somebody when they reach a certain age, or they have a little less than a 50/50 chance. With your progressive thinking, have you contemplated what happens when the likes of you and I get to a certain age, and society deems us an irrelevance, (because its going that way)? 
If its as black and white as you say, ask the old person on the hospital bed if they would like to stay alive at the expense of a missing child. I accept some of what your saying, but there are times when compromises have to be made, and the money isn't really that much in the great scheme of things. (after all, they gave a billion to the DUP)

I am just being realistic. There is a finite amount of money and hard decisions need to be made all the time. The NHS cannot buy all the medicine it would like to and a body called NICE decides which are the most cost effective and allows the NHS to buy them and only them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum