Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are British unemployed really lazy and flaky?

+6
wessy
Angry Dad
Norpig
boltonbonce
xmiles
wanderlust
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In a review of British employers commissioned by Amber Rudd (story here) there was considerable concern about their ability to recruit EU workers when we finally leave the EU.
Many employers suggested that EU workers are more reliable and more willing to work longer and antisocial hours when the job requires it than UK born workers.
The report concluded that lower migration into the UK may lead to lower growth.

In my experience, EU workers do a sterling job in construction, healthcare, agriculture and leisure/hospitality industries for the most part and I do see a lot of British wasters who have never done a days work in their lives, live off benefits, drop kids like there's no tomorrow and whinge about foreigners taking the jobs that they'd never do anyway.

So in your opinion, do you reckon that there actually is a sufficient number of unemployed Brits who are genuinely able and moreover willing to work for a living if and when EU immigration declines? - or have we become a nation of whingeing parasites who feel eternally hard done by?

Maybe after years of living in an affluent modern western society with a welfare state, we have become the softest of nations and expect the world to owe us a living?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

To answer your question, is there a sufficient number of unemployed Brits who are genuinely able and moreover willing to work for a living if and when EU immigration declines? the simple answer is no. All the areas you describe are going to be in serious trouble after brexit.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I retired in January. They're now begging me to return to work.

Apparently,they've employed four people since my departure,each one of them leaving because the work was too hard for the money they were being paid.

The last one to leave refused to work in the rain!

I've no intention of returning to work,but the attitude of some of my replacements is pretty poor by all accounts.
One said he could rake in almost as much sat on his arse,and signing on the dole.

OK. ..dunno..

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is an underclass of people in this country who will not work no matter what and the EU have filled that gap very well for many years.
I work at Central Manchester Hospitals and this organisation would struggle very badly if EU and other nationalities stopped coming here to work, The underclass i mentioned won't be prepared to do the so called dirty jobs as the pay, conditions and hours won't be to their liking, but something has to be done to stop the wasters from living the life of riley they have now.

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

boltonbonce wrote:I retired in January. They're now begging me to return to work.

Apparently,they've employed four people since my departure,each one of them leaving because the work was too hard for the money they were being paid.

I've no intention of returning to work,but the attitude of some of my replacements is pretty poor by all accounts.
One said he could rake in almost as much sat on his arse,and signing on the dole.

OK. ..dunno..
Were you a lollipop man bonce? Rain n all .

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Ironically it was probably a lot of those who wont do the jobs, that voted (Brexit) to stop the ones that will work from coming in. They also though the borders would be shut the following Monday.

Brexit is the result of framing a very difficult and compex problem into a yes or no solution.

Stand up Mr Cameron well done.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I retired in January. They're now begging me to return to work.

OK. ..dunno..
Do you seriously think standing in the middle of the road would be a good option for yours truly?

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

boltonbonce wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:

OK. ..dunno..
Do you seriously think standing in the middle of the road would be a good option for yours truly?
No havin a laugh Razz

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It's all about respect and get up and go, sadly lacking these days I'm afraid. 
I've had periods of unemployment from engineering and worked assembling desks and in a bottling plant for peanuts to avoid signing on and presume my self esteem and purpose.
Nothing lasts forever, I have the skills and sooner or later I concluded they'd be required. 
For the last fifteen years or so engineers have been retiring and those behind are not up to scratch generally. Yes they can work computers but original thought and can do is sadly lacking in most cases.
Part of this is down to safety legislation and folk frightened of making decisions.
I did a rework on some lifting gear that had been functional for the last 25 years without any problems. Certification was required to substantiate the kit prior to commencement of mods, unfortunately the tefal yeds failed it from day one of working previously!
If it looks reet 99.9 of the time it is reet, unfortunately it's the 0.1 that kills it.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I think we should wait and see what develops in the employment market before throwing so many  people on the scrap heap. We cannot expect people to change their ways of life overnight, but I'm certain that there are a lot of people out there who want to work, and we are doing them a disservice by slating them before they can even apply for a job. Lets try and be constructive for a change !

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

More whistling in the dark glos. There is plenty of evidence that Brits won't work as hard as non-Brits for low wages.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Its not whistling in the dark. Its a case of giving those who want a job, and currently cannot get one, the correct training and opportunity to get themselves out of the rut. I believe there was an item in the news last night suggesting this very solution. We won't be able to just walk people into these positions, nor should we just write them off. Its too easy to blame someone else nowadays, rather than get up off our arses and do something about it.
Its not just the unemployed who seem to be using a lazy and defeatist attitude, it seems to be permeating the whole of society.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When applying for a job that entails working outside,saying you won't work if it's raining doesn't wash.

My old employer is having to deal with young men of 18 and upwards,who simply won't do the job unless they get everything to their liking.

They'll quite happily sign on the dole.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I accept there are some like this, many in fact, but not all people are. And, if some need a little prompting, such as the threat of withdrawing certain parts of their allowance, then go for it. 
There must be rather a lot of men and women who want to work, but have been kept out of it when the cheaper, and sometimes smarter, foreign workers come in, and are prepared to work for less. We cannot condemn all the British workers, when, over the years they have been paid and supported to such an extent that any changes in their circumstances will mean a lowering of their standards even further. We have a term for it, poverty trap, where any attempt at bettering themselves means loss of income.
Why do we revel in knocking those who, through no fault of their own, are at their lowest ebb. Just knowing one or two lazy bastards doesn't mean they all are.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Are British unemployed really lazy and flaky? Unknow12
boltonbonce wrote:When applying for a job that entails working outside,saying you won't work if it's raining doesn't wash.

My old employer is having to deal with young men of 18 and upwards,who simply won't do the job unless they get everything to their liking.

SURELY if it's raining it will wash.

Just keep a little piece of soap in your  pocket.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When I come to think of it,I made a rod for my own back by constantly going the extra mile for my boss. I got no appreciation for it,and at the end,he expected it as the norm.
They got rid of my mate,then had me doing two jobs,with no extra hours,leaving me to do hours of unpaid overtime to keep the client happy.
I'd had enough by January,and basically told him to stick his job up his arse. Now he's asking me to come back.
Well,he can whistle. He used to threaten us with 'I can soon get a couple of Poles in'.
You do that mate,and good luck to you.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:When applying for a job that entails working outside,saying you won't work if it's raining doesn't wash.

I'll bet they have to be told to breathe!?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

boltonbonce wrote:When I come to think of it,I made a rod for my own back by constantly going the extra mile for my boss. I got no appreciation for it,and at the end,he expected it as the norm.
They got rid of my mate,then had me doing two jobs,with no extra hours,leaving me to do hours of unpaid overtime to keep the client happy.
I'd had enough by January,and basically told him to stick his job up his arse. Now he's asking me to come back.
Well,he can whistle. He used to threaten us with 'I can soon get a couple of Poles in'.
You do that mate,and good luck to you.
Bonce, being the Devil's advocate here, and nothing personal. Did your mate appreciate that all your efforts possibly helped push him towards the door, and as a result, he would probably be branded a lazy bastard by some on here ?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

The point I'm making, is that not everything is black and white. Apologies if I upset you.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Having read the last couple of posts again, I feel I've done Bonce a disservice. My apologies Bonce if it looks as though I said you'd pushed your mate out the door. It wasn't meant to sound like that at all. Not one of my finer moments  Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum