Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton hit problem in chase for Blackburn Rovers' Danny Graham

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

BLACKBURN Rovers striker Danny Graham is on Wanderers’ summer shortlist - but now looks to be slipping further from reach.

The 32-year-old was ear-marked as one of the best value free transfers on the market by Wanderers boss Phil Parkinson, and looked odds-on to switch Lancashire rivals until recently.

The stumbling block, however, is that Rovers have the option of extending Graham’s contract by another 12 months and after initially stalling on offering the new deal, the newly-promoted side has now moved to do so.

Wanderers would be unwilling to pay a fee for the experienced former Middlesbrough, Watford and Sunderland front man, so sources at Wanderers suggest Parkinson has stepped away to concentrate his efforts elsewhere.

Graham does fit into the mould of player Parkinson is looking for - a physical striker able to lead the line, who is also able to inject a measure of pace into his attack. His goal record is also impressive, with 17 in League One for Rovers last season and 134 during the course of his career.

For now, however, sights have been switched to another Championship striker, who could be made available on loan.

After making another Rovers old boy, Jason Lowe, his first capture of the summer last week, Parkinson and his recruitment staff are working hard to mop up the best of the free transfers.

Walsall’s diminutive playmaker Erhun Oztumer remains on the cusp of a deal after indicating he will not sign another contract at the Banks's Stadium.  

A goalkeeper to challenge Ben Alnwick is also on the list, although reports linking the club with Bristol City’s Frank Fielding have been dismissed.

Full-back Jon Flanagan could make a return after his contract at Liverpool expired. The former England international is looking to kick-start his career after a couple of difficult years and spent the last few months of last season on loan at the Macron, making nine appearances.

At 25, the defender is not short on options but wants to get his future sorted quickly to enable him to get a full pre-season at his next club.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/16281694.Blackburn_striker_just_out_of_Wanderers__39__reach__for_now/

Leeds_Trotter

El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Danny Graham doesn't fill me with hope.

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

He is 33 in August which makes him too old for me.McGinlay did a great job for us at the latter end of his career but he was only 28 when he signed.I wouldn't want a 33 year old as the main striker unless he was an ex top class international in his last couple of seasons which Graham clearly isnt.

Beggars can’t be choosers rings true here.

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

We shouldn't be beggars given the £6 million fee for Madine, £4 million extra TV revenue for staying up and the 15,500 average gates.
I don't see why a 33 year old from a newly promoted Div 3 club on a free should be what we are targetting.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:We shouldn't be beggars given the £6 million fee for Madine, £4 million extra TV revenue for staying up and the 15,500 average gates.

We also have an estimated £6 million trading loss last season (prior to the Madine transfer) and £4.5 million for the BluMarble payment due in September.

That's without taking into account the other 'softer' debts that are overdue for payment.

We are far from being out of the 'financial' woods yet.

To be honest I think you knew all that already.

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

No, the extra £10 million we have got this year (from Madine and staying up) is bonus money.If luck had gone the other way we could still have Madine, been relegated and be £10 million worse off.I assume Ken had reckoned for that.
Ken makes extra money from hosting concerts and rugby league matches to add to the pot.He has also now got rid of all the high earners from the previous owner apart from Amos who Charlton are paying some of the wages for.
It is not right to say despite having a bonus £10 million and only one high earner we are still too skint to look at decent signings.
I would expect to be looking at someone like Graham if we had been relegated.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree with Growler, the likes of Lowe & Graham are just lazy (possible) signings with little ambition. They were probably both decent at one time, but both are clearly way past their best with little evidence they can still cut it at this level.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Growler wrote:No, the extra £10 million we have got this year (from Madine and staying up) is bonus money.If luck had gone the other way we could still have Madine, been relegated and be £10 million worse off.I assume Ken had reckoned for that.
Ken makes extra money from hosting concerts and rugby league matches to add to the pot.He has also now got rid of all the high earners from the previous owner apart from Amos who Charlton are paying some of the wages for.
It is not right to say despite having a bonus £10 million and only one high earner we are still too skint to look at decent signings.
I would expect to be looking at someone like Graham if we had been relegated.

Following your logic we would be £10 million better off than a League One club facing a £4.5 million repayment in September (probably requiring us to reschedule it to a later date for a further fee) and a trading debt last season of £6 million.  In other words we would be in a pretty bad financial position - and probably was the reason most of the contracts were scheduled to finish at the end of the season.

Like it or not wages and bills still had to be paid last season and the BluMarble loan needs to be settled.

It looks as though Anderson/Parkinson has managed somehow to breakeven on trading last year and still stay up - and now with the help of being in the Championship again, have additional money to help resolve the BluMarble position.

This however doesn't allow substantial surplus monies to spend significant sums on transfers - but does probably allow us more money for wages to attract better quality frees and loan players.

Again I think you already know this.

Natasha Whittam wrote:I agree with Growler, the likes of Lowe & Graham are just lazy (possible) signings with little ambition. They were probably both decent at one time, but both are clearly way past their best with little evidence they can still cut it at this level.

Who do you sign with no budget? Players past their best or those who have not shown it yet - this is the market we’re in (neither of which are going to be popular with the majority it seems).

Having said that Lowe has had one bad season, for which he struggled for fitness. He conceivably has his best ahead of him.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

T.R.O.Y wrote:Who do you sign with no budget? Players past their best or those who have not shown it yet - this is the market we’re in (neither of which are going to be popular with the majority it seems).

We have a budget, albeit in the free and loan market. But let's not pretend we're the only club in that boat.

But the market Parky seems to be working in is the "were decent once, but have been pretty shit for at least a season or two" market. Which is why we keep ending up with the likes of Buckley & Noone.

I'd much rather be taking a chance on younger players who have the potential to be at least average, rather than players who are proven not to be good enough at Championship level.

A good manager can spot potential regardless of budget, I'm sick of hearing that Parky has no budget so we should be happy with dross.

It’s been confirmed (if you believe Nixon) there is no budget for transfers again, but wages are available at the moment. At present, I don’t think there’s another team in the division operating on those constraints, there wasn’t last year.

As I said, when you’re in this situation you either sign players who have been good  
before but have lost their way (Allardyce style) or players with potential - but as we can see with the prices being banded about for Marriott even this is increasingly out of our reach.

Nobody’s suggesting we should be happy with dross, it’s more important than ever to get it right. By to write off Lowe before he’s played a game is foolish, remember Juke? Or Henry last year? If he can get something out of ‘has beens’ then he’s fulfillig his brief.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Signing "has-beens" can only take you so far. And next season, in a tougher league, it will only take us down. Plus, if you keep signing players past their peek you can never have a long-term plan. How many of the current contracted squad could we sell for money? Le Fondre maybe, not many of the others.

But, ultimately, we need some pace in the team and you're not going to get that by signing the likes of Lowe, Ireland or Graham.

There are managers around who can spot talent in the lower leagues, sadly I don't think Parky is one. Until we break the cycle of signing past it players nothing will change.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The unhappiness about Lowe seems to stem from Blackburn supporters saying how negative he was (Captain Back-pass was how one described him).

If he is here to fill the Henry role though, then what else do people want for 'free' other than to win the ball and pass it off to someone else safely.

Muamba basically did just that and we paid £5 million for him.

Henry wasn't a creative defensive midfielder but he worked out well for us.

If reports are to be believed then the little 'Turkish Messi' will be signing for us soon and if he does then all we really would want Lowe to do when he wins the ball is to be able to pass to him safely, for him to do something great with the ball.

Anyway we've got Lowe now so not much point people writing him off before he's even kicked a ball for us.

Natasha Whittam wrote:Signing "has-beens" can only take you so far. And next season, in a tougher league, it will only take us down. Plus, if you keep signing players past their peek you can never have a long-term plan. How many of the current contracted squad could we sell for money? Le Fondre maybe, not many of the others.

But, ultimately, we need some pace in the team and you're not going to get that by signing the likes of Lowe, Ireland or Graham.

There are managers around who can spot talent in the lower leagues, sadly I don't think Parky is one. Until we break the cycle of signing past it players nothing will change.

I agree on most of that. But I think your last point highlights the issue, there is talent in the lower leagues, but those players also need to be available on a free and not have a better offer on the table for us to get them - which limits the pool significantly.

So we need a blend of has beens and potential to plug the (sizeable) gaps in our squad.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Look, only a complete idiot would shoot himself in the foot by not giving a manager money to buy players if that money was available and Ken Anderson doesn't strike me as an idiot. He knows that if he wants to make a profit then the club needs to do well on the field and that means getting the very best players available within our budget. Since it's pretty clear the purchase budget is zero I'd suggest that means we simply don't have the funds to go out and buy without compromising wages so Ken has made the sensible choice in allocating what money there is to pay players who come in on free transfers or loans.

Sadly that does mean we're going to be looking at "has beens", "never were's" or "Maybe one day" players for the moment and while I agree with Nat that the situation is far from ideal I think we simply have to accept it for now. It is what it is.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Danny Graham signs new contract with Blackburn...

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/june/danny-signs-new-deal/

I’m over it already

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Parky follows my work.

Natasha Whittam wrote:I think Parky follows my work.

Maybe he’s heard the investment rumours and decided to hold off.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum