Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton miss out on ex-Newcastle star Papiss Cisse in loan deal!

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

WANDERERS have made an ambitious attempt to lure ex-Newcastle United striker Papiss Cisse back to English football – but look like missing out, for now.

The Senegalese striker is currently under contract with Chinese Super League side Shandong Luneng but was offered a top secret chance to train at Bolton this week with a view to a move.
Cisse impressed Phil Parkinson and his staff and was keen to stay in the North West, where he owns a house in Wilmslow.
But on the advice of his representatives it now looks as if he will explore the possibility of a short-term move to Turkey until the end of his contract, which expires at the end of December.

Wanderers would be unable to match the massive wage he currently earns in China, or the tax-free riches on offer in Turkey. But the player, who is a friend of Lee Anderson, is understood to be keen on a return to English shores and could well link-up with the Whites again in the future.

Now 33, Cisse spent five seasons with Newcastle United and scored 44 goals in 131 appearances in all competitions.
A terrace favourite in his spell on Tyneside, he earned a reputation for scoring audacious goals and is understood to be in excellent physical shape, judging by his few days in the Wanderers camp.
Though a move for Cisse was always regarded as a ‘wildcard’ move for Bolton, they remain active on the final day of the loan transfer window and have three bids lodged for strikers.

Anderson flew back in from France this morning to assist with incoming deals – and the club has confirmed again this morning that no out-going transfers are expected, at present, with the potential exception of Connor Hall leaving on loan.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16611227.bolton-try-to-tempt-ex-newcastle-star-papiss-cisse-in-loan-deal/

I like Iles but this goes to show how far out of the loop he is at the club, reporting after the event again.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm amazed this info bypassed Boggers.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm amazed this info bypassed Boggers.

Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:I like Iles but this goes to show how far out of the loop he is at the club, reporting after the event again.

I like Iles he seems very personable but also but he is clearly an idiot on so many levels!

How could he not think to himself 'there must be some story here' when a small footballing town like Bolton racked up debts which were on a par with Manchester United and Real Madrid - how was that even feasible to be on a par financially with super clubs?

What really was Eddie Davies wealth and where did it come from - even the biggest football fan in the world wouldn't piss away £200 million of his own personal wealth on a football club unless that was a drop in the ocean financially for him. So how did an accountant from Bolton turn himself into someone who can drop £200 million down the toilet and not even notice the loss?

What made Davies turn of the money taps so spectacularly and why did he let Gartside spend all the money so foolishly, without seemingly any concern or control over it?

Why does he pointedly NOT follow the big two BWFC forums - Wways and Nuts on twitter - there's an awful lot of Wanderers fans that read one or both of our sites on a daily basis and I believe the views our combined posters express certainly influence many people's views on BWFC related matters - particularly on the way the majority now view the ST and the vast decline in anti-Anderson hatred.

Why did he clearly write and support Holdsworth and the ST's position from the start, yet failed even to this day to report on anything negative against them?

Why on earth did he allowed himself to be played by exclusively reporting the unofficial players strike, when he could so easily have held the story back - particularly in the last two weeks of the transfer window! Having the EFL and the players union having to be called in when we desperately needed to sign at least seven players in less than fourteen days, risk a further player embargo and so easily risk the whole of our coming season - showed an incredible lack of judgement on his part - when it was needed the most!

In short he's missed ALL the massive stories and upset successive club owners of Eddie Davies and Ken Anderson, whilst backing the wrong horses of Holdsworth in a two horse race!

It's little wonder at all that Iles is outside of the loop really is it!

Sorry, you’re now blaming Iles for any impact of the players strike?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'm amazed this info bypassed Boggers.
I deal in big news

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:Sorry, you’re now blaming Iles for any impact of the players strike?

I said so at the time that the strike was almost certainly unofficial and that reporters can and do sit on stories they have.

An unofficial strike, with less than two weeks to go, bringing in the EFL and players union, whilst having to sign at least seven players.

I know what I would have done in Iles position.

If he hadn't reported the story it would not have got into the public domain.

Fwiw I believe that it did affect a number of potential signings we had set up at the time but I obviously am unable to prove that.

I'm sure Ken Anderson was over the moon to read Iles 'exclusive' in the Bolton News, in the middle of trying to sign numerous players for the club!

Maybe Anderson should have heeded the warnings and paid the players then, as he’s legally obliged to.

Iles is paid to provide a window into the club for his readers, which is exactly what he did.

You’ve become one eyed when it comes to KA.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:Maybe Anderson should have heeded the warnings and paid the players then, as he’s legally obliged to.

Iles is paid to provide a window into the club for his readers, which is exactly what he did.

You’ve become one eyed when it comes to KA.

You are entitled to your opinion however it doesn't mean to say that it is a correct one.

The press is famous for the stories that they have kept out of the papers over the years - for all sorts of reasons, some commendable, some not.

Iles certainly knows things/have been told things about the club - such as several of the transfer targets we are looking at today - but even though he knows that, he doesn't print the story does he?

There's nothing wrong with the players telling him that some (one) hadn't been paid but he should be experienced enough by now to know what stories to rush to print and what to hold on to. It was an unofficial, unauthorised by their own union strike, with the players obviously using him for their own agenda.

That's not impartial reporting from Iles to run the story at what could easily be the most damaging to the clubs season in its attempts to recruit multiple players with only days of the window left - that's either sheer stupidity or malice from him against the club owner.

Neither the club, the club we were playing, the player who was unpaid, his agent, the players union, or the players who went on strike themselves, even the Scottish local paper - all who could have easily said something on their official sites or through social media, to break the story but Iles without even a second thought did!

Why did no one else - who all knew what was going on sit on the story then and left the players to 'play' Iles to get him to go and break his 'exclusive'?

Don't forget the players went on to officially 'regret' their actions regarding the unofficial strike!

Seeing what I've already said about Iles above, I'm hardly on my own when it comes down to judging Iles ability to spot a story at the club or his clear knack of backing the wrong horse on every occasion so far and thus leaving him grateful for any scraps of news given to him by the club.

It’s nothing to do with malice or stupidity - it’s reporting what’s going on at the club, let’s not try and twist facts to fit a narrative.

The players as a group went to Iles with the story as getting their strike in the press was what would put pressure on KA to pay? Why are you mentioning St Mirren or Amos individually?

You also keep mentioing words like “unofficial” and “unauthorised”, but it’s an irrelevant point. This is not a normal employment contract, why do you think players strike on an individual basis to force moves through yet legal action against them is  never taken by clubs? A strike is a strike, and that’s all that maters to Iles.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:It’s nothing to do with malice or stupidity - it’s reporting what’s going on at the club, let’s not try and twist facts to fit a narrative.

The players as a group went to Iles with the story as getting their strike in the press was what would put pressure on KA to pay? Why are you mentioning St Mirren or Amos individually?

You also keep mentioing words like “unofficial” and “unauthorised”, but it’s an irrelevant point. This is not a normal employment contract, why do you think players strike on an individual basis to force moves through yet legal action against them is  never taken by clubs? A strike is a strike, and that’s all that maters to Iles.

Of course they are legally binding employment contracts, that's why both players and clubs have their legal teams pour over every word in them.

Of course clubs could enforce individual contracts if they wanted to but the reality is that they pay the top players so much money that it's financially more sensible to get them out of the club as quickly as possible than to keep them on their wages not wanting to play for the club for half a season.

Of course there is a massive difference between official and unofficial strikes - that's why there is legislation as to the process their union have to adhere to call a strike and the penalty for holding illegal strikes is actually imprisonment!

You are again wrong when you say the pressure of calling the illegal strike led Anderson to pay the wages/bonuses - in fact he stopped the payment he had already made for the payment to be and seemingly now deliberately held back payments - despite EFL and PFA now being involved - for at least a further week.  If anything the players illegal strike made their payment into a greater delay!

I'm not sure why you are asking me why I've mentioned Amos and St Mirren individually?  

I have pointed out that both Amos and St Mirren knew about the strike yet neither reported it publicly, St Mirren iirc correctly simply let their fans know that the games was off due to issues beyond their control - and not telling the world the Bolton players had gone on strike.

This was what Iles should have done also.

I'm twisting no narrative.

Reporters simply don't report all they know and the better ones have a filter for knowing what is the right thing to report and when to sit on stuff.

Clearly Iles doesn't have that filter!

I said all this at the time it happened, why have you suddenly decided to start arguing over it now - or is it yet just another of you're having an argument for arguments sake!

So in your mind the players come to Iles ask him to release a statement on their behalf on the matter and he should have said no to them?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

IMO a contract as you say is a contract and it was the club, not the players who broke the contract by not paying them in accordance with those very contracts. What is reported in the media is of no value inasmuch that the media is beholden to the club if they want to prolong their working relationship and for Iles BWFC is his bread and butter. The players said they were sorry, not in any kind of admission of guilt but for having to do what they did having been put in that position by the club in the first instance - effectively the self-defence argument. Water under the bridge now.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:So in your mind the players come to Iles ask him to release a statement on their behalf on the matter and he should have said no to them?

Yes in a nutshell.

He should have thought through if it was actually news or if he was being 'used'.

Even a novice journalist would attempt to establish the validity of what he was being asked to do by someone he probably thought was/is his mate/s amongst the players by establishing things like is the strike legal, if not why not, if so why isn't the PFA announcing it, if so what's the PFA's view on things, what's the club stance on the strike, is it true a wage and some bonuses haven't been paid, when will they be paid, why haven't they been paid so far, does the club have a comment, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe if he'd done that he quickly find out that the players intended to go on an illegal strike, that the PFA had not sanctioned (probably didn't even know about it!) that the monies had been scheduled for payment the next working day (Monday), that the players had been told this, maybe had been given an official statement from the club regarding the issue, etc, etc.

He then could have done a story about financial issues at the club and late payment on a specific players wage / outstanding bonuses, a comment from the players union about this matter (if indeed they actually knew anything about it) and a comment from the club over the issue and the plans they had already made to rectify the situation.

He could still have had a story with this one being legitimate news reporting on facts and not mentioning an illegal players strike at all!

That's what his jobs about not spreading tittle tattle to keep in with his mates the players.

Not rocket science is it really!

Just a load of rubbish I’m afraid Sluffy.

Players/squad strikes never get validated before they happen, see my point to you above. Are we about to see Celtic start legal action against Moussa Dembele for breach of contract? Nope and his actions have affected their season.

Nice of you to suggest a story for iles - so you think he should have written about unpaid bonuses but not comment on the players strike? Meanwhile everyone’s left guessing about why the players didn’t turn out against St Mirren?

Why would he not want to retain the support of the players? Quite integral to his  day to day aren’t they? And according to your insight he’s fallen out with KA long ago over Holdsworth?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Christ you would argue for arguements sake until the cows came home - no wonder most people swerve you on here.

Dembele on what say £25k per week at Celtic - doesn't want to play therefore at least 16 weeks to next transfer window - so Celtic already £400k wasted.  Clubs wanting to buy him in January bid low because they know Celtic want shut, otherwise it's another six months to the summer window - thus another £600k for him to train with the reserves in all that time.

Clock also running down on the contract he has left, so his resale value plummeting and clubs that want him bid low because Celtic need to shift him.

It's not really rocket science to sell him to get shut now is it?

So they keep him and sue him what do they get, a player that will not give anything to the club, a millionaire who simply passes up his wages until he gets paid even more money at his next club and Celtic sitting on a catastrophic loss until then.  Hardly worth the bother for Celtic to do that, certainly doesn't make any financial sense for them to do so does it?  And that's why players always get their way in these days of silly wages and financial constraints on clubs.

He's written about unpaid wages before and it's down to St Mirren and BWFC to state their reasons why the game didn't go on.  It's not Iles job to spread player propaganda.

Isn't my insight at all - KA has publicly banned Iles from public interviews in the past.

Player gossip might be all he really has these days but that doesn't give him the right to stick in the paper whatever propaganda they may feel they have about the club owner by means of going on strike.

There was a story for him to break about late payment of one wage and some bonuses - the story should never have been about an illegal strike by the players which I again remind you the players later officially 'regretted' their actions for.  They did the wrong thing at the wrong time - and so to did Iles.

1. You’re misunderstanding. Celtic could sue even though he’s gone, it’s not one or the other.

2. Propaganda implies embellishment of some sort, the statement was factual.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

T.R.O.Y wrote:1. You’re misunderstanding. Celtic could sue even though he’s gone, it’s not one or the other.

2. Propaganda implies embellishment of some sort, the statement was factual.

1 How do they 'prove' that Dembele has forced through his transfer and that as had a negative effect on a season they've never even started on properly yet?

2 The statement wasn't factual, the players went on an 'illegal' strike - they/Iles implied it was officially sanctioned. (Iles could easily have confirmed that by contacting the PFA or the club - who have to be notified in the case of legally organised strikes - not hard to have done really was it?).

1. Dembele went on strike. Look it up.

2. Nobody implied it was sanctioned as nobody (except for you) cares, it is of absolutely no issue in the world of football - contracts are worth next to nothing.

3. Glad I’ve found a way of reducing your word count, let’s keep all of your posts to bullet points Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum