Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vela told to dump his twitter account!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

DAVID Wheater has advised Josh Vela to step away from social media as he fights his way back into the Wanderers side.

The club skipper feels some of the online criticism aimed at academy graduate Vela following the recent defeat against Sheffield United was over the top.
Vela was dropped to the bench for last weekend’s draw at Preston North End and Wheater believes the 24-year-old should filter out any unnecessary distraction as he plots his way back into Phil Parkinson’s starting 11.

“Some of the reactions were a bit disappointing, and he got a bit down about it, but I’ve told him a few times to get off Twitter,” Wheater told The Bolton News.
“There are thousands of people who are there watching us who can criticise us if they feel that they want to – that’s their call – I just don’t see why you’d invite others. That’s just my view.

“Josh will be fine, he’s a big player for us, and I think most people know that.”
Vela has been with Bolton since the age of nine and made his first-team debut as a Premier League player in 2012.
Wheater reckons home-grown players can often attract fiercer criticism from their own supporters.

“Stewart Downing used to get it at Boro,” he said. “I was about 15 or 16 when he broke through and I realised what was going on.
“He’d get massive praise one week and then the next one he’d get battered.
“I remember my dad warning me that the local lads tend to get it worse than anyone else, so maybe that’s the case for Josh?
“He’s a top player and he’s perfectly fine and will play on now, but I still don’t think Twitter is the best idea.”

One player who has hit the ground running this season is Polish full-back Pawel Olkowski, who was voted into the EFL’s Championship’s team of the week alongside team-mate Sammy Ameobi.

“I’d never heard of him before he signed for us but he’s a quality player,” Wheater said of the defender, who had played at FC Koln before his summer arrival in England.
“His English is coming along well. I text him every day to make sure he’s alright and he’s working really hard. He’s quite a quiet lad.
“He wears some horrendous gear, I have to say, but on the pitch he’s been outstanding for us.”

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16697319.wheater-tells-vela-stay-away-from-twitter-after-fans-slay-him-on-social-media/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum