Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let's get on the front foot, says Wanderers boss Parkinson

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Phil Parkinson feels if his players can start today’s match on the front foot they are more than capable of adding to hosts Ipswich’s own predicament.

Wanderers have collected just a single point from four outings since beating Birmingham on August 22. But, having seen his side more than match the much-fancied Middlesbrough in the second half on Wednesday night, the manager says the belief can begin to flow once more.

“We’ve spoken to the lads today about starting games positively,” he told the Bolton News. “We can’t hide from the fact we’ve been reacting to going a goal behind, so if we can work hard from the start we can get the first goal, which is so important.

“It’s not going to be easy at Ipswich, I watched their game against Brentford on Tuesday and I know Paul [Hurst, manager] will be pleased with how they did in the second half.

“They played well and got a good point against a Brentford side that’s flying high in the league.

“They are at the bottom but we’re expecting a tough match, they have lost some tight games, those are fine margins.”

Wanderers will be without injured duo Sammy Ameobi and Andy Taylor at Portman Road this afternoon but Jack Hobbs is available following his first-half substitution at Middlesbrough for a gash to the head.

But Parkinson is retaining his own confidence, happy to put his faith in whichever of his players is on duty today.

“Jack is fine, he could have continued on Wednesday night but it would have just taken too long,” he added. “It was a shame because he’s worked hard and waited patiently for his chance but we’re happy to have Mark Wilson in there.

“Obviously losing Sammy is a blow and it’s disappointing for Tayls, he’s had a bit of a setback and he’ll be a couple more weeks, but Groundsy [Jonathan Grounds] is up to speed, we’re happy with how he’s done.

“We have quality players coming in, we have to utilise the squad when we have games coming Wednesday-Saturday, like most teams will. We’re looking in good shape physically and we’re looking to hopefully add to Ipswich’s problems.”

Source

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

karlypants wrote:Phil Parkinson feels if his players can start today’s match on the front foot they are more than capable of adding to hosts Ipswich’s own predicament.

Wanderers have collected just a single point from four outings since beating Birmingham on August 22. But, having seen his side more than match the much-fancied Middlesbrough in the second half on Wednesday night, the manager says the belief can begin to flow once more.

“We’ve spoken to the lads today about starting games positively,” he told the Bolton News. “We can’t hide from the fact we’ve been reacting to going a goal behind, so if we can work hard from the start we can get the first goal, which is so important.

“It’s not going to be easy at Ipswich, I watched their game against Brentford on Tuesday and I know Paul [Hurst, manager] will be pleased with how they did in the second half.

“They played well and got a good point against a Brentford side that’s flying high in the league.

“They are at the bottom but we’re expecting a tough match, they have lost some tight games, those are fine margins.”

Wanderers will be without injured duo Sammy Ameobi and Andy Taylor at Portman Road this afternoon but Jack Hobbs is available following his first-half substitution at Middlesbrough for a gash to the head.

But Parkinson is retaining his own confidence, happy to put his faith in whichever of his players is on duty today.

“Jack is fine, he could have continued on Wednesday night but it would have just taken too long,” he added. “It was a shame because he’s worked hard and waited patiently for his chance but we’re happy to have Mark Wilson in there.

“Obviously losing Sammy is a blow and it’s disappointing for Tayls, he’s had a bit of a setback and he’ll be a couple more weeks, but Groundsy [Jonathan Grounds] is up to speed, we’re happy with how he’s done.

“We have quality players coming in, we have to utilise the squad when we have games coming Wednesday-Saturday, like most teams will. We’re looking in good shape physically and we’re looking to hopefully add to Ipswich’s problems.”

Source

How happy now?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Better than being a goal down.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:Better than being a goal down.

You are now tempting the fates.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

observer wrote:

You've got to take a risk every now and again otherwise life would be boring!

Very Happy

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:
observer wrote:

You've got to take a risk every now and again otherwise life would be boring!

Very Happy
Fortuitously, the fates did not take the point away.   Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Parky's front foot = zero shots on target against bottom of the league.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think Parky should have made his last two subs as soon as Ipswich were down to ten men as well but other than that I don't have too many gripes really. The important thing for me is we stopped the losses albeit against a very poor side and did it despite being a man short for almost two thirds of the game. It's easy for us to sit at home and say he should have done this or that but that's most often with the benefit of hindsight. Overall I'm just happy that (for the moment at least) we've arrested what could have been a very rapid slide down into the bottom three. Before the match I'd have taken a point and I think it would be churlish now to complain given that we got it.

I don't know if we could have won with a more attacking style but Parky couldn't have foreseen us losing a man so early or that Ipswich would use all their subs then get an injury. I appreciate many here find his mindset too negative and defensive, to a degree I share those worries but given how close we came to relegation last term the fact we're mid table now with a dozen points on the board actually strikes me as progress. Would I like more? Yes of course I would but for now we're still heading mostly in the right direction with what is still a somewhat threadbare squad and very little in the way of resources. I'll take it for now, let's see where we are come Christmas which I think would be a better time to judge if PP is moving us forward or not.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum