Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brexit negotiations

+17
gloswhite
Dunkels King
wanderlust
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
Hipster_Nebula
Growler
wessy
Cajunboy
rammywhite
okocha
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
karlypants
luckyPeterpiper
Sluffy
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 45 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 40 of 50]

781Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 11:29

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have been to Aldi today to get some beans and bottled water. 

Cashier stated to me "brexit" I nodded the queue behind me came together in prayer it really was quite touching.

782Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 13:22

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In a move likely to enrage Brexiteers and cause yet another political row in Westminster, on Wednesday Brussels unveiled proposals for the UK to keep up its payments for the 2019 EU budget and beyond. The UK would have to consent to the plan, with a deadline to agree set for 18 April – deliberately placed after the effects of a no-deal would have become apparent.
“What we were thinking is we need to give a period which would allow some time for reflection,” one EU official said of the chosen cut-off date. 
The EU says keeping up payments would help soften the impact of the no-deal cliff edge in areas such as agriculture and research funding that rely on EU payments.

Watch more

The commitment would cover any EU contracts in effect on 30 March 2019 when the UK is due to crash out. Some of the contracts last two or three years, meaning payments could continue for some time.
“As highlighted on many occasions, all commitments taken by the 28 Member States should be honoured by the 28 Member States,” A statement released by the European Commission said.
“This is also true in a ‘no-deal’ scenario, where the UK would be expected to continue to honour all commitments made during EU membership.”

The statement continues: “Today's proposal enables the EU to be in a position, in a ‘no-deal’ scenario, to honour its commitments and to continue making payments in 2019 to UK beneficiaries for contracts signed and decisions made before 30 March 2019, on condition that the UK honours its obligations under the 2019 budget and that it accepts the necessary audit checks and controls.
“This would help mitigate the significant impact of a “no-deal” scenario for a wide range of areas that receive EU funding, such as research, innovation or agriculture. “This issue is separate from and without prejudice to the financial settlement between the EU and the United Kingdom in a no-deal scenario.”

783Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 14:50

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just don't pay them.

What are they going to do invade?

784Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 14:52

Reneging on a payment hardly the best way to kick off a 'new, close relationship with our European allies' is it?

785Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 15:10

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Like I said what are they going to do about it?

786Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 15:42

Should we come out with no deal (which seems to be what you favour?). We’ll be looking to negotiate a trade deal with the EU - so as I said not the best way to kick things off.

And if we do get a deal a good relationship is still preferable for security and international influence.

787Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 15:45

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I honestly don't favour anything anymore.

Obviously I voted leave and I hoped that would happen. I'm quite sick of the whole thing and honestly couldn't care less what we do now.

I think the "anger" people talk of is overstated. If they did cancel it a few Tommy Robinson types would take to the streets but most leavers would just think "I knew this would happen" and just get on with their lives.

788Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 16:26

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Just don't pay them.

Put a 40% or 50% tarriff on British imports and source their own goods from the 40 countries they have trade deals in place with already. Kick out British companies and expats. Cut off the supply of energy to Britain  (we import 22% of our electricity and 10% of our natural gas from the EU) Close down British road transport exports. Create a one year waiting list for travel visas to the EU. Pillage our fishing grounds. The list goes on and on.

Other than bring the UK to it's knees, nothing.

789Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 16:44

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

May is completely delusional if she thinks there is any way to negotiate an alternative to the backstop. So she will damage the country for years to come just to keep the brexit extremists in the Tory party.

Bizarrely some people think this constitutes "a good day for May". Never mind what it means for the rest of the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47061650

790Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Wed Jan 30 2019, 18:44

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

Put a 40% or 50% tarriff on British imports and source their own goods from the 40 countries they have trade deals in place with already. Kick out British companies and expats. Cut off the supply of energy to Britain  (we import 22% of our electricity and 10% of our natural gas from the EU) Close down British road transport exports. Create a one year waiting list for travel visas to the EU. Pillage our fishing grounds. The list goes on and on.

Laughing yes and that's in imaginary land.

791Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Thu Jan 31 2019, 10:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Laughing yes and that's in imaginary land.
Pointing out that they have these and many more options available to them if they wish, all of which are more likely than an invasion. We're an island so setting up a siege and starving us out would be easy. Although they do have a much bigger army and would batter us in a war so you never know.

792Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Thu Jan 31 2019, 11:00

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The EU doesn't have an army and never will this is a dangerous fantasy as you know.

And as for the other nonsense we would just respond in kind.

Back in the real world Italy is now in recession. So that's Germany and Italy now.

EU going strong.

793Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Feb 01 2019, 00:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:The EU doesn't have an army and never will this is a dangerous fantasy as you know.

And as for the other nonsense we would just respond in kind.

Back in the real world Italy is now in recession. So that's Germany and Italy now.

EU going strong.
If you're basing that on the GDP growth forecasts, then you should look at the UK which is set to vie for bottom place with Italy by 2020.

World forecast is 0.5% though. Which will cause even more problems for everyone.

794Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Feb 01 2019, 07:29

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

UK growth outstripping eurozone growth.

Oh dear.

795Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Feb 01 2019, 08:21

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Hipster_Nebula wrote:UK growth outstripping eurozone growth.

Oh dear.

On the other hand:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47083214

796Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Feb 01 2019, 08:54

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Considering.

797Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Feb 01 2019, 09:29

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Question Time last night turned into another undignified, childish slanging match over Brexit (and domestic issues) between Labour and Conservatives......despite a very sensible Siemens businessman and most of the audience agreeing that party politics should have zero role to play in discussions about the future direction of our country. Fiona Bruce added to the finger-pointing very unhelpfully.

Aiming for civilised consensus, rather than slating each other, should dominate the way we discuss if we wish to make progress. Our newspapers add to party and societal hostilities alarmingly.

My experience is that school pupils respect others' views in debates and would never be allowed to jeer, heckle, interrupt or be abusive....... and yet our political system is set up to allow appalling, confrontational behaviour from those who should be setting an example. There is very little willingness to really listen or to be prepared to adapt viewpoints in the light of convincing arguments.

798Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Feb 01 2019, 11:31

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

okocha wrote:Question Time last night turned into another undignified, childish slanging match over Brexit (and domestic issues) between Labour and Conservatives......despite a very sensible Siemens businessman and most of the audience agreeing that party politics should have zero role to play in discussions about the future direction of our country. Fiona Bruce added to the finger-pointing very unhelpfully.

Aiming for civilised consensus, rather than slating each other, should dominate the way we discuss if we wish to make progress. Our newspapers add to party and societal hostilities alarmingly.

My experience is that school pupils respect others' views in debates and would never be allowed to jeer, heckle, interrupt or be abusive....... and yet our political system is set up to allow appalling, confrontational behaviour from those who should be setting an example. There is very little willingness to really listen or to be prepared to adapt viewpoints in the light of convincing arguments.

:clap:

799Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Feb 01 2019, 11:34

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes indeed. I've given up on the QT circus.

800Brexit negotiations - Page 40 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Feb 01 2019, 11:39

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I stopped watching it after David Dimbleby retired.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 45 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum