Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ben Amos - worst signing ever - signs for Charlton

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Worst signing in terms of value for money - £16k per week on a four year deal just as Eddie turned off the financial taps to the club.

Played roughly 50 games for us which works out as around £65k per game - and the muppet clearly needed glasses to see beyond the penalty area!

Crazy, crazy signing - what was going on at the club?

Anyway -

Addicks fan favourite Ben Amos has returned to Charlton signing a permanent deal with the club.
The goalkeeper, who enjoyed an exceptional loan spell at The Valley during the 2017/18 season, has signed a one-year deal with an option of a second year, following the expiry of his contract at Bolton Wanderers.
The 29-year-old played 50 games for Charlton during his season with the club and will train with the team today as he looks to compete for a place in the starting lineup with Dillon Phillips.

Speaking of his return, Charlton’s fifth signing of the summer, said: “It feels great, it doesn’t really feel like I’ve been away to be honest. I enjoyed my time here last time, I know a lot of the people and the staff here and I want to play Championship football. I’m excited to get going.”
Head of Recruitment Steve Gallen said: “We’re really pleased to get Ben back. Behind the scenes all summer, we’ve been pushing it and pushing it – trying to get him back. Lee (Bowyer) in particular is pleased we have our goalkeepers lined up. Since I’ve come to the club it’s always been about looking to get loan goalkeepers to support Dillon, or help him, or push him along.

“So now we have our own two goalkeepers at the club, two permanents, two good goalkeepers, it is really, really pleasing. They know each other well, there is a mutual respect between them.”

Amos started his career at Manchester United representing England at every age group from U16 to U21. He would go on to represent the Red Devils in the Champions League, the League Cup and once in the Premier League.
While with United, Amos enjoyed domestic loan stints at Peterborough United, Oldham Athletic, Hull City, Carlisle United and Bolton, before joining the latter permanently in July 2015.

He made 53 appearances for Wanderers - 49 of which were in the Championship – before his time at Charlton and then a loan spell at Millwall last season.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d2c4884493a2/done-deal-ben-amos-returns-to-charlton

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I wouldnt have paid him 250 quid a week. IMO you could get Premier League players to play for a couple of grand a week. Those who want more, get rid.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was the wages more than anything i objected to, he wasn't a bad keeper but he was on far too much money when he signed for us. I presume because he came from United he was on similar money there?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:It was the wages more than anything i objected to, he wasn't a bad keeper but he was on far too much money when he signed for us. I presume because he came from United he was on similar money there?

I just think that was the type of money we threw about back then.

I remember when we signed Alex Baptiste from Blackpool and one of the chairman of another club found out what wages we were paying him, described them as an eye watering amount for players in that division!

I've nothing against Amos or Baptiste, the problem was clearly at the clubs end - so I put the blame at Gartside's feet for being so profligate with the money.

What I never understood with Amos signing though was that Gartside must have been aware/suspicious at least, that Eddie had said he wasn't going ti fund the club anymore - yet lashed out on a four year contract at £16k per week.

Utter madness.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think the issue was we probably still had players like Mark Davies on premiership wages and other players coming in were expecting similar. 
It was crazy as wasn't Spearing on big money as well? I'm sure there were plenty others and i remember that when we were relegated to the Championship no players had it in their contract that their wages would be reduced by a set amount. We certainly used to do that.

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:I think the issue was we probably still had players like Mark Davies on premiership wages and other players coming in were expecting similar. 
It was crazy as wasn't Spearing on big money as well? I'm sure there were plenty others and i remember that when we were relegated to the Championship no players had it in their contract that their wages would be reduced by a set amount. We certainly used to do that.

It makes me angry just to read this again. Between this and the inability to negotiate half-decent transfer fees (in or out) - what an absolute shambles of an organisation. Any business run the way BWFC has fully deserves to be in the shit we're in. Unfortunately, other small local businesses have been dragged down and shafted too.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

finlaymcdanger wrote:
Norpig wrote:I think the issue was we probably still had players like Mark Davies on premiership wages and other players coming in were expecting similar. 

It makes me angry just to read this again. Between this and the inability to negotiate half-decent transfer fees (in or out) - what an absolute shambles of an organisation. Any business run the way BWFC has fully deserves to be in the shit we're in. Unfortunately, other small local businesses have been dragged down and shafted too.
It might seem like they dont know what they are doing, but those over-inflated prices, allegedly, there are bungs and backhanders all over in it. I would imagine that `sometimes` when someone is paid say 16 grand a week that some of it allegedly goes somewhere else every week. I am not saying this is always so or even ever at Bolton, but when huge money is being thrown away, you have to wonder.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember andranik teymourian. 

What a player.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum