Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Michael Appleton has big shoes to fill at Lincoln says Wanderers boss Keith Hill

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Life after the Cowley Brothers was always going to be an adjustment for a Lincoln City side riding a long-lasting wave of momentum in recent seasons.

After six years in the non-league wilderness, these have been virtually non-stop good times for the Imps, who romped to the League Two title last season to rise into the third tier for the first time this millennium.

The club came to a crossroads, however, when the architects of that success – brothers Danny and Nicky Cowley – were poached by Championship Huddersfield Town in September.

Their replacement, ex-Blackpool and Blackburn Rovers boss Michael Appleton, is now looking to do things on his own terms. Results thus far have been mixed; a credible home victory against a pre-Phil Parkinson Sunderland has been followed by a run of one point in three games, with no goals scored.

Keith Hill believes Appleton has the nous at this level of football to keep the good times rolling at Lincoln but admits the former Manchester United defender has some big boots to fill.

“It could be a tough job,” he told The Bolton News. “When you get the church of the Cowley brothers, and it does happen. Those players have bought into absolutely everything that the Cowleys brought in from the moment they took over in the non-league.

“That got reinforced by the momentum, the continual success, so every one of them is going to be a disciple of the Cowley brothers. And you knew that they were going to leave at some point, they just had to. It was impractical for a football club for the manager to keep being linked with every single Championship job that came up. It happened similar to Eddie Howe when he was at Bournemouth the first time around, they just had to leave.

“It can leave a massive hole for those players because they have only ever known one way. It can leave a void but Michael Appleton is experienced, not just in management, but at League One level as well so I think he’ll be able to deal with every situation that develops.”

Lincoln have averaged just under 9,000 for their home gates since promotion and the gate will be boosted by a 1,500-strong travelling contingent from Bolton tomorrow.

Hill is glad to see the club back at a level they appear to suit.

“They are a team that’s big on the rise,” he said. “They will plateau out somewhere but they have got an unbelievable following and under the Cowleys they had such success. They have always been a club I’ve enjoyed pitting my wits against.

“I think they were always going to come back to the fore. They were a big non-league club trying to get back into a pyramid they belong in.”

Appleton watched Wanderers in defeat against Rochdale at the UniBol last weekend but feels the psychological boost of a first victory of the season adds an extra layer of difficulty to tomorrow’s game.

“Getting the first win is a big thing for them. It possibly makes them a little more dangerous going into Saturday’s game,” he told Lincolnshire Live.

“I had a good look at them on Saturday against Rochdaleand there was nothing in the game. We know we’re going to be up against a side which has got a lot of experience, not only at League One level but in the Championship too.

“After the players they brought in on deadline day, they’ve had time to adapt and gel now.

“There’ll end up winning a lot more games in this division, there’s no doubt about it, and give it a good go as they look to stay in the league. There’ll be very dangerous.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum