Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gotta love Greavsie.

4 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gotta love Greavsie. Empty Gotta love Greavsie. Sun Jan 22 2012, 09:53

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A good article written by Jimmy Greaves in The People.

Big time needs its small-town heroes.

Ever since the Premier League announced the hare-brained scheme of playing a 39th fixture in different corners of the globe, it has become fashionable to knock the likes of Blackburn, Bolton or Wigan.
It's not easy to 'sell' those clubs as part of a ' global brand',they are quick to tell us.
As if small-town Lancashire clubs have no real part in this brave new world- when in actual fact they are the hotbed of English football.
It's been sad to see that trio of clubs in the bottom three for much of the season and it would be very sad if they were wiped off the face of the Premier League.
Those clubs all suffered a major downturn in the 1980's and early '90s but they have defied the odds to play at the top level and the Premier League has been richer for them.
These Lancashire clubs used to be owned by prominent local businessmen, who knew their clubs intimately and who instinctively understood what supporters expected and wanted.
Bolton, like Blackburn, are enjoying an 11th straight season in the top flight but look to be in the most parlous state of all, in terms of finances and playing resources.
Personally, I'd love to see all three stay up-if only to annoy those big-time chairmen who think that playing Bolton, Blackburn and Wigan is beneath them.

I salute you Jimmy.

2Gotta love Greavsie. Empty Re: Gotta love Greavsie. Sun Jan 22 2012, 11:41

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Well said that man.

It would make my year to see QPR go down.

3Gotta love Greavsie. Empty Re: Gotta love Greavsie. Sun Jan 22 2012, 11:50

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

QPR have a very interesting February. They are away to Villa, home to Wolves, away to Blackburn and home to Fulham. Apart from Villa the other three teams are all likely to be involved in the relegation battle so it's a win win situation for us.

4Gotta love Greavsie. Empty Re: Gotta love Greavsie. Sun Jan 22 2012, 11:56

wolves seem to be struggling big time, and wigan can't buy a win despite some decent performances. rovers and qpr have performed similar to us of late. i think we can stay up.

5Gotta love Greavsie. Empty Re: Gotta love Greavsie. Sun Jan 22 2012, 19:45

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I still think the Vicar will save Wolves so it's Blackburn, Wigan and QPR of Fulham for the drop. I think we could finish 16th.

6Gotta love Greavsie. Empty Re: Gotta love Greavsie. Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:04

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Somebody with a kind word to say about us, Blackburn and Wigan? Are my eyes playing tricks on me? He's summed up so many of my thoughts there. I'd also like all three of us to stay up for the reasons he's mentioned.

Many don't know that half of the 12 founder members are Lancashire clubs! Those are Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington, Preston and Everton. Each with the exception of Everton isn't as big as it could have been had it not been for unfortunate circumstances such as the rise of the Manchester and Liverpool clubs.

7Gotta love Greavsie. Empty Re: Gotta love Greavsie. Sun Jan 22 2012, 20:44

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

And the best of it is that Greavsie is as cockney as jellied eels.

8Gotta love Greavsie. Empty Re: Gotta love Greavsie. Sun Jan 22 2012, 21:00

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

He as always been a top bloke.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum