Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Keith Hill's Post Match Reaction: Bolton Wanderers 2 Tranmere Rovers 0

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keith Hill was delighted to see Chris O’Grady reach his century of league goals as Wanderers grabbed their first victory of the new year against old foes Tranmere Rovers.

The experienced striker returned to the starting line-up, partnering Daryl Murphy up front, and grabbed the second of the afternoon in a long-awaited win.

“I’m really pleased for him,” said Hill after the final whistle. “We have worked together really well and I just felt it was time for him to come back in. He has shown in substitute performances that he has made a real impact and he gives me everything. I am so pleased he got his goal.

“After the second goal went in we played a bit more football as well. There is still that element of doubt if you haven’t been winning football matches but the second goal sealed the deal, really.

Dennis Politic had opened the scoring with a fine volley – his fourth of the season – and Wanderers went on to claim their first two-goal league victory on home turf in just over three years.

The last came in December 2017 when Gary Madine and Josh Vela scored to beat Cardiff but Hill felt the result was just reward for the hard work his players had put in during a tough period of results.

“There was courage, I think it has been a difficult two months leading into the window, loan players asking about their future in December, so it has been pretty unstable,” he said.

“But this performance was pretty secure. There was energy, hard work, football intelligence and it resembled a team.

“My selection over the last six weeks has been very difficult, it has been up and down, full of young energy who have potentially made mistakes. It is about winning, ultimately, and when you can’t win them you try and develop.

“Sometimes with young players you do lose a lot of games and I have done it in the past. But there has to be a payback, there has to be a moments as a manager where you need to win.

“There’s no relief because we do so much work to win, every single game. The performance reflected a win and it gives me belief. Sometimes you have to be a bit patient, sometimes ignorant with tunnel vision, that’s the life of a manager. You have to stick to your principles and that is what I expect from a team today.

“We have had bits – but today that’s a result that will give everybody that bit of belief, the fillip that the players, the supporters and everybody needed.

“Once that window slammed shut it was brilliant. There’s security now – from my point of view and the players know that they are locked in, so it’s a great 18 we’ve got to perform in.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum