Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Don't take your eye off the ball, Rigby and Tetlow are back

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

A Message from the BWFCST Board

The BWFCST fully recognises and appreciates that sport is quite justifiably some way down many people’s agenda during this public health emergency, and our thoughts continue to go out to all those affected in so many different ways.

We make no excuse, however, for taking this opportunity to highlight that football is clearly not immune to the problems, pressures and uncertain future that all businesses are currently facing, and that is why we are in contact with the club to see how we can best assist in helping to successfully negotiate a route through this current crisis.

It is no exaggeration to assert that professional football in the UK is facing a huge crisis, and that this is felt most acutely at the lower levels of the English league where revenue streams have dried up but outgoings remain. With financial advances from the EFL likely to have been fully used by the end of April and the spectre of player contracts being extended beyond the end of June should the current season be extended, lower league clubs face the realistic prospect of potentially going out of business.

Given the well documented financial issues afflicting Bolton Wanderers over recent years, and despite the tentative rebuilding steps taken this season, it is highly probable that the club remains particularly vulnerable at this time of crisis and arguably faces threats to its existence every bit as great as those faced last summer.

It is at times of adversity like this that clubs in general, and Wanderers in particular, could benefit most from an independent and supportive Supporters’ Trust that is representative of the vast majority of supporters. This last point is key, as a Trust with a membership that comprises the majority of supporters will be in a position to better exert influence with the club’s hierarchy.

New Trust Board member Robin Fletcher summed it up well when he said “I believe the Trust is the best vehicle for supporters to safeguard the long term future of the club. Furthermore, the more members the Trust has, the more influence it can bring to bear.”

As a reminder, the Trust is legally registered and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is a democratic, not for profit organisation with an independent election process overseen by Civica, an independent advisor on elections. It has a suite of internal governance policies to ensure it complies with best operating practices, is financially solvent and is affiliated to the national Football Supporters Association. Its professional organisation and operating practices put it in a good position to engage in structured dialogue with the club owners as required by EFL regulations as well as to undertake effective liaison with other national football related bodies.

We are pleased to report that following the recent 2020 elections we have welcomed four new additions to the Board in Robin Fletcher, Paul Wood, Sue Higson and Will Jones. This greatly enhances the diversity of the Board both in terms of gender and age range and this will create a fresh dynamic in terms of views and approach as we move forward, complementing the remaining 3 Board members and the 2 recently co-opted members, Maggie Tetlow and Terence Rigby (Chair) who will provide much needed continuity at this time of change.

The four new Board members will each bring their individual skills and attributes to the Board, but the one thing they all have in common is that they are regular, longstanding supporters who wish to make a positive contribution to the long term survival of the club they all love. 

Some were formerly members of the Trust’s Strategy Group, which is a wider group of Trust members who work alongside the Board, providing a valuable insight into the role of Board members which no doubt informed their decision to put themselves forward for election. Any Trust member who wishes to attend Strategy Group meetings would be very welcome and should register their interest to enquiries@bwfcst.co.uk or via direct message on the various Trust social media channels.

Once again, however, while a fully compliant election process was undertaken, there was no requirement for a ballot process as only four members opted to put their names forward for election, and this points to a larger issue the Trust faces. While Trust membership can be secured for a one-off administration fee of £10.00, the more new members we can enlist, the stronger the supporter voice and influence, which is of utmost importance considering the very real threats that we have faced, and continue to face, regarding the club’s very existence.

Notwithstanding that there will be some supporters unable or unwilling to spend £10.00, the Trust recognises that there are many other affiliations within the wider Wanderers fan base, all comprising loyal fans with the best interests of the club at heart. It is important to stress that membership of the Trust is not mutually exclusive to belonging to other Wanderers related groups, as evidenced by new Board member Will Jones who has also been a prominent member of the Lion of Vienna group. The Trust isn’t positioned to compete against other fan groups as all have their vital role to play in all things Wanderers, but all fans concerned about the long term future of the club should consider becoming Trust members alongside their other affiliations, as many have already done. 

Granted there are much more important issues in the world today, but if you love your football club, please don’t take your eye off the ball. These are concerning times, and there is a choice to stand by and simply watch events unfold, or commit to at least trying to influence things for the better.

In the meantime, stay safe, stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives.

BWFCST Board                                                                                                                    14 April 2020

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Did anyone else think that that stupid survey the ST came out with yesterday had the stamp of the ancien regime?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I think we all know the ST is a complete irrelevance.

Interesting to see that 'some' were existing ST 'Strategy Group members' - 'some' implying more than one (I'm guessing three of them were, with the twenty year old Manning acolyte being the exception) and with the 'co-option' back of Tetlow and Rigby (as Chair? why didn't he stand in the election then, was it preordained that whatever the result he was always going to be Chair?) - something smacks of being underhanded and not transparent here to my mind at least. Anyway my point being that nothing much has changed with them - same people (and their Strategy Group mates) with the same mind set pursuing no doubt the same strategy as previously towards their own (personal) agenda.

Rather smacks of those two simple rules of politics, number one, obtain power, number two, keep it!!!

Anyway I look forward to their already long delayed AGM in two or three years time or so for the coronation of Rigsby once again!!!

Any news on the £20k rescue fund yet?

Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Did anyone else think that that stupid survey the ST came out with yesterday had the stamp of the ancien regime?

Of course it does - same people (apart from the young kid) who were all there before the faux election.

Clearly from the questions they've set they aren't anywhere near to being in the loop with FV - nor I doubt they ever will be with the same people FV have purposely kept at arms length up to now.

Survey here for anyone who wants a peep at it -

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CN92Y7K

I assume anyone can fill it in which begs the question of how representative it is of the ST membership only - if that is there intent? And also the security and validity of the survey if all and sundry can complete it - I assume it is possible to fill the questionnaire multiple times if one had a wish to?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:It's time you two gave it a rest.

It's clear you don't like the ST and what it stands for. And it's fine to have that opinion.

But to continually slag them off is becoming tiresome.

Let me ask you this, what have you two done for the club in the last 10 years?

Not sought to become owner of it.
Not incessantly tried to undermined its owner.
Not sided with the person who lumbered the club with the BM debt, who 'took' a £1m for the privilege of doing so.
Not been publicly critical of Michael James and FV as the club faced oblivian - from which of course the ST would of course been best place to form a successor club.
Not raised £20k in public donations and constantly refused to account for it.

And that's just off the top of my head - is that enough to be going on with?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Not sought to become owner of it.
Not incessantly tried to undermined its owner.
Not sided with the person who lumbered the club with the BM debt, who 'took' a £1m for the privilege of doing so.
Not been publicly critical of Michael James and FV as the club faced oblivian - from which of course the ST would of course been best place to form a successor club.
Not raised £20k in public donations and constantly refused to account for it.

And that's just off the top of my head - is that enough to be going on with?

As I thought, nothing.

You may not agree with what they do and say, but at least they are putting themselves out there.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You bang on an awful lot about them Sluffy, considering they're irrelevant.

RangersDave

RangersDave
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Sorry guys,

As an outsider can i ask a question or 2.
1) Do the trust members own the club?
2) do any owners actually sit on the Trust?
3) does anyone think that sitting on the trust if your not a shareholder or owner of the club will make a blind bit of difference in what they will do and how they will spend their money?
4) That BW is actually safe financially from selling and or the whole lot up for nice redevelopment as the land is prime and well positioned for transport etc? 

Please don't think i'm stirring i'm merely trying to just find some facts.
Cheers
Dave

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:You bang on an awful lot about them Sluffy, considering they're irrelevant.

If you say so.

They are irrelevant - or do you genuinely believe otherwise?

They are on the periphery of peoples mind who support the club, so do warrant a mention from time to time.

I tend to only mention them when they've put themselves into the public domain as in the case of this thread.

They couldn't help in the slightest when things looked the darkest for us some months back and nothing changed since - isn't that simply fair comment from me?

I think slippers are irrelevant but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that you bang on about them all the time as I know you do it in fun.

I laugh at the ST - I don't see much difference between the two of us really.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

RangersDave wrote:Sorry guys,

As an outsider can i ask a question or 2.
1) Do the trust members own the club?
2) do any owners actually sit on the Trust?
3) does anyone think that sitting on the trust if your not a shareholder or owner of the club will make a blind bit of difference in what they will do and how they will spend their money?
4) That BW is actually safe financially from selling and or the whole lot up for nice redevelopment as the land is prime and well positioned for transport etc? 

Please don't think i'm stirring i'm merely trying to just find some facts.
Cheers
Dave

1, 2 and 3 - No (I assume you mean sitting on the 'BWFC board' rather than 'trust').

4 - I had thought that the owners plan was to develop/sell the land and re-site a smaller financial self sustainable club back in Bolton somewhere.  

Maybe it will go that way anyway if FV can't get it's investment back from football in the time they require it - which is looking likely the longer this virus effects football being played and income being generated to stop clubs from going under.

RangersDave

RangersDave
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Hi mate,
Thanks for clarifying. my old brain box gets easily befuddled.
Cheers
Dave

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

4 - I had thought that the owners plan was to develop/sell the land and re-site a smaller financial self sustainable club back in Bolton somewhere.  

If that had been the plan, it woudn't really fit with Sharon's initial public pronouncements.

But its always been hard to see where a financial return could be made and now its even harder.
The whole economy is going to take a long time to recover and I expect the commercial value of land and property will take a hit.

I went out for the first time in over a fortnight on Sunday and met a couple I'd known for about forty years. We stayed about 12 feet apart.

They have never had any interest in Bolton Wanderers or football at all that I know of but it turns out that they knew Eddie and Sue Davies and the man who wrote the impressive eulogy to Eddie read out by Phil Mason at Eddie's memorial service. I knew the latter from my own research but I hadn't been aware that they also knew Eddie and Sue.

Very interesting, but all too brief, a chat. I hope there might be a chance to follow it up at some stage.

Eddie's final £5m loan remains unpaid. Will it ever be repaid?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:I went out for the first time in over a fortnight on Sunday and met a couple I'd known for about forty years. We stayed about 12 feet apart.

Did you spend the whole conversation talking about Vince?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy thinks slippers are irrelevant, so I'll never mention them again. This is a great day for Nuts.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Ten Bobsworth wrote:I went out for the first time in over a fortnight on Sunday and met a couple I'd known for about forty years. We stayed about 12 feet apart.

Did you spend the whole conversation talking about Vince?
No. Got nowhere near Vince or the spicy vegan balls he's told the world he's donating to the NHS to prove his overwhelming generosity.

Nowt about Iles, Bonnar, Holdsworth, Simple Simon, Rigsby or any of the other rabble rousers either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum