Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Doyle proved his point" - Ian Evatt backs striker ahead of Bradford reunion

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt believes he has the best attack in League Two – but wants to keep his star men on their toes.

The Wanderers boss wants at least one more experienced striker through the doors before next month’s transfer deadline and says the club has scope in the salary cap to add quality.

The additions of Eoin Doyle and Nathan Delfouneso turned heads this summer and it is likely they will lead the line against Bradford on Saturday.

But Evatt now wants another man capable of pushing them for a first team spot this season.

“I think we’re light up front, there’s no denying that,” he said. “We’ve got two excellent strikers for the level, probably two of the best I believe.

“They need some help, someone who is going to push them, someone who they know is capable of coming in and taking their place if they are not up to scratch and on form.

“That’s an area we have recognised needs strengthening.”

Doyle will be coming up against his former club tomorrow – a year after leaving the club on loan for Swindon Town.

The Irishman found a rich vein of scoring form at the County Ground, grabbing 26 goals, and Evatt doubts he will allow a cup reunion with Bradford to play on his mind.

“Doyle proved his point last season with the awards and the goals he got at Swindon,” he said. “I don’t think he needs to add any more than that with Bradford.

“He wants to go out there and be the very best he can be.

“He’s a top player, the way he trains is exceptional as are the standards he sets for the younger players. He’s exactly what we want from a senior player but also a top striker.

“I am more than confident he will go out there on Saturday and beyond and get the goals we brought him here to get.”

Wanderers have sent out George Thomason and Callum King-Harmes on loan and are looking to arrange similar deals for a handful of younger players in the squad.

Adam Senior saw a move to Ashton United fall down at the last moment this week but now has interest from elsewhere and Sonny Graham, Matt Alexander and Muhammadu Faal could also be loaned out to get more experience.

Evatt feels the arrangement can suit both parties.

“They are still training with us, so it is important that they are still getting that education and training they need to make them into better players, physically, mentally and tactically,” he said.

“But they also need to be able to play men’s football and footballers need to go into a weekend knowing there is a game for them. It is no good training Monday to Friday without one.

“They need to go out there and feel that intensity and pressure of playing against men. Physically it will develop them and it will only bode well for them into the future.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum