Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt on the "dream" goal that fans might have missed

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt is frustrated that the beauty of Bolton Wanderers’ equalising goal against Bradford City on Saturday was lost in the event.

The Whites head coach has watched his side’s 2-1 defeat back a few times now, and believes the slick build-up which led to Antoni Sarcevic’s strike was overlooked at the time.

Wanderers showed plenty of positive signs, despite the score-line. And though Evatt was unhappy with some of the defending on the day he was left purring over the standard of some of their possession play.

He will be looking for something similar tomorrow night in what is likely to be a much-changed line-up in the EFL Trophy to play Crewe but admits his main focus will be on getting it right against Forest Green in the League Two opener.

“Saturday is the main one, the big start of the season,” he said. “Obviously we want to gain promotion from this league and that’s when the eyes will be focussed on us.

“Saturday was hard to take, on reflection, and having watched the game back two or three times now we should never have lost it.

“We had 60-odd per cent possession first half, got ourselves back into it. But we conceded poor goals, and that’s been the last couple of games now. We have found a way of shooting ourselves in the foot.

“We have gone over a few things with the players, defensive responsibilities, and we’re trying to improve.

“I don’t know how many people saw our goal on Saturday but it’s direct from kick-off, 19 passes, and they don’t touch the ball. That’s the dream, and we’ll get there consistently.”

Those who watched the official highlights of Saturday’s game may only have seen the last few touches of a flowing move.

But the 2,500-plus who bought a Match Pass will have got a much better view of what life might be like for Wanderers, if they can strike the balance Evatt is looking for.

Conjuring images of a goal scored by Mark Davies against Evatt’s Blackpool several years back, the Wanderers boss joked that he now wanted to see Sarcevic’s strike on repeat.

“I think because there was no crowd and only a minority would have seen it, that’s the dream. How many goals like that has a Bolton team scored like that in recent history?

“I can remember one – and I know because I played in the game and it’s forever being thrown in my face. So, to be honest, I’d like that goal to be shown a lot more now.

“We want to have possession, move teams around, and have goals at the end of it.

“That was a fantastic goal at any level of sport.”

Source

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:“I don’t know how many people saw our goal on Saturday but it’s direct from kick-off, 19 passes, and they don’t touch the ball".

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ha ha, I thought it was going to be a wonder goal, but was just a pretty simple goal gifted by the opposition.

Comparing it to the Mavies goal is ridiculous.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum