Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Beanotown

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Beanotown Empty Beanotown Wed Nov 18 2020, 14:00

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Dominic Cummings 'turns up with PM in Beanotown'

Beanotown _115533554_mediaitem115533553

This week's Beano comic includes a pull-out section called Bean-OLD, designed to cheer up adults in the midst of the pandemic - and who better to help in that than Mr Cummings, the former Vote Leave impresario who quit his government role last week?

One strip - commissioned before his resignation - features him (sort of) reprising his famous lockdown road trip from London to County Durham earlier this year.

This time he has Boris Johnson in the back seat - alongside Wilbur Brown, the square-jawed mayor of Beanotown, who could be said to bear a slight resemblance to Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer.

The Beano makes play of Mr Cummings's discomfort at the furore that followed his journey and his subsequent drive to Barnard Castle, which he insisted had been an attempt to test his eyesight before the longer return south.

Beanotown _115533558_mediaitem115533557

In the comic, corrupt Mayor Brown's plot to steal Beanotown's Christmas presents goes wrong, just as Mr Johnson arrives by parachute.

With Mr Brown's glasses broken by a Christmas pudding kicked in his face by footballer Marcus Rashford, Mr Cummings - who has already been lurking in the vicinity - agrees to act as the mayor's getaway driver.

Their intended destination is Barnard Castle.

But, after a prang in the wintry road conditions around Beanotown, wise-cracking policeman Sgt Slipper tells him: "I'm sorry, sir, but I'll have to give you a ticket for driving without glasses."

Mr Rashford and fellow prominent campaigners Captain Sir Tom Moore and Greta Thunberg are among those who join forces with Beano anti-hero Dennis the Menace's father to try to foil Mr Brown's plot.

This is not the first time the Beano has forayed into political satire in its 82-year history.

In 2018 it sent Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg a cease-and-desist letter, ordering him to stop "copying" the sartorial style and "snootiness" of Walter the Softy, the son of Mayor Brown and nemesis of Dennis the Menace.

Mr Rees-Mogg, who has since become leader of the House of Commons, denied snootiness and refused to change his appearance, arguing that "compared to me, Walter is Mr Muscle".

Beanotown _100701806_dz2zxvjwkaaavvh

A bit more here including this!

Beanotown _115533757_b86feb7e-7a6f-483a-9933-374e4b3375f4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54976553

2Beanotown Empty Re: Beanotown Thu Nov 19 2020, 13:20

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Used to love the Beano as a kid and read it regularly as well as the Dandy, Whizzer and Chips and Roy of the Rovers

3Beanotown Empty Re: Beanotown Thu Nov 19 2020, 21:44

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Gordon Bennett, I take a day off and discussion descends to house plants and boy's comics Norpig read as a kid. I can't help thinking that the Beano might be the most illuminating publication he's ever read but how much of it did he grasp?

4Beanotown Empty Re: Beanotown Thu Nov 19 2020, 22:16

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm still reading the Beano. Inside this week, there's an 8 page Beano for grown ups.

5Beanotown Empty Re: Beanotown Thu Nov 19 2020, 22:27

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:I'm still reading the Beano. Inside this week, there's an 8 page Beano for grown ups.

Who will you be giving yours to?

6Beanotown Empty Re: Beanotown Thu Nov 19 2020, 22:31

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Who will you be giving yours to?
Very Happy
I'll send it to Bob. I'm pretty sure he'll grasp it.

7Beanotown Empty Re: Beanotown Fri Nov 20 2020, 08:08

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Gordon Bennett, I take a day off and discussion descends to house plants and boy's comics Norpig read as a kid. I can't help thinking that the Beano might be the most illuminating publication he's ever read but how much of it did he grasp?
Beanotown 2Q==

8Beanotown Empty Re: Beanotown Fri Nov 20 2020, 09:45

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:I'm still reading the Beano. Inside this week, there's an 8 page Beano for grown ups.
Pleased to hear it, Boncey. It occurred to me some time ago that the Beeno was for kids and the Beano for theĀ  grown ups.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum