Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton boss pinpoints key area he needs to strengthen in January

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers will be seeking more firepower in the January transfer window to try and encourage a promotion push.

With Shaun Miller out of action until April, Bolton have no recognised senior back-up to frontline strikers Eoin Doyle and Nathan Delfouneso.

Arthur Gnahoua, pictured, is not seen as a direct competitor to the central strikers, and is also sidelined with a dislocated shoulder, while Bright Amoateng is not considered ready to step up to senior level having featured in pre-season.

Ian Evatt will look to sign at least one striker next month and could scour the loan markets for options higher up the league.

“You look over at the bench and I more or less haven’t got anything in the final third to bring on and change the game at the moment,” he said.

“We are swapping wing-backs, that’s where we’re at, and there is an imbalance in the squad, there is no doubt about that.

“It is especially the case with Shaun Miller being injured, so we have to rectify that in January.”

Evatt wants up to four signings next month and has already hinted that some players signed in the summer could also be moved on.

Wanderers remain 15th in the table and five points off the play-off places following their weekend defeat and travel to third-placed Carlisle United on Boxing Day.

Despite his team’s inconsistency, Evatt pointed out that another unbeaten run like the one in November would see the Whites challenging again.

“We put another run like that and we’ll end up in the top three,” he said.

“There is no doubt about it, the division is crazy. But we have to actually go out there and do it.

“Obviously, the January transfer window is huge for us now to improve the team and the squad. We have to make sure we get the right ones in.”

Evatt has also challenged his fringe players to up their game and force their way into the first team over the festive period.

If Wanderers are to gain a measure of consistency by the turn of the year, the Bolton boss wants to see a lot more on the training ground from some individuals.

“We have to keep working with the players, doing the video analysis and showing them what is going wrong, show them what we expect,” he said. “But we have to improve the squad and make sure there are more players available to us.

“We might then be able to rotate a bit more, give some players rest and have a freshness when it is Saturday-Tuesday as it was this week.

“We haven’t got that at the moment, in my opinion.

“We have a squad and the ones out of the team, as I have said many times, have to do more to get into the team. It’s that simple.”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Striker is a must as is another defensive midfielder if Tutte is not fit regularly.

I hope we don't lose Kioso back to Luton in January as he would be a big miss and hard to replace. I would like to see a few shipped out as well if they aren't going to play.

Not sure if Kioso is great or our other options are terrible - Jones aside, really like him. New Wing back, new DM and a new striker are all musts.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum