Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When did you last use cash?

+3
boltonbonce
Banks of the Croal
Sluffy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1When did you last use cash? Empty When did you last use cash? Fri Feb 12 2021, 20:33

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

A neighbour of mine was out food shopping the other day and saw something (battered haddock), which by chance some time back I mentioned I was a big 'fish and chips' man, on offer and not only bought for her own needs but on the spur of the moment got me some too.

When she saw me later on in the day she popped round (social distanced of course) with the fish to give to me saying if I didn't want to eat it right away them simply freeze it until I did.

Obviously very kind of her and she didn't want payment for it (it was only something like £1.50 anyway) but I insisted that she must, I don't like beholding to anyone (that's how I was brought up) and besides I don't think it is right for anyone to be out of pocket for doing me a good turn.  So I nipped indoors found some change and gave it her.

It got me thinking though, when was the last time I bought anything with cash before then?

Even at the start of the first lockdown I preferred to buy normal day to day stuff with cash, more of a habit from prior to credit and debit cards becoming widely used and also it gave you a physical idea of what you've spent since the last time you drew any money out.

Since first lockdown though and with shops seeming to shy away from cash and facilitate contactless patments, plus the bother of queueing up (social distantly) half way around the block from the nearest cash machine it just became far, far simpler to go cashless.

I know from my daughter that she and her generation had done this a good few years back already but I'm surprised how, within probably a matter of a few weeks I've changed sixty odd years of paying for things with good old pounds, shillings and pence that was, to simply a tap of my debit card at the self service tills.

Anybody still use cash or was I the last one to do so?

As Bob (not that one) sang, 'the times they are a chagin'!

Anything else anyone has notice has changed since the virus first visited us?

2When did you last use cash? Empty Re: When did you last use cash? Fri Feb 12 2021, 20:53

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I still use cash but only in small amounts, reason being when i go out for a walk/bike ride i might want to call for some refreshments especially if we get far from home, also i don't like carrying my Card around with me not in this day and age.

3When did you last use cash? Empty Re: When did you last use cash? Fri Feb 12 2021, 21:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Since lockdown I've used very little. If a buy a newspaper maybe, or pay the window cleaner. Don't think I've visited an ATM for three months.

4When did you last use cash? Empty Re: When did you last use cash? Fri Feb 12 2021, 21:48

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I would be happy to never use cash again.

5When did you last use cash? Empty Re: When did you last use cash? Fri Feb 12 2021, 21:56

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:I would be happy to never use cash again.

I quite like it. Gives me something to rattle down at the youth club. There's only four of us left, if you don't count Terence, who was rushed to hospital when he got stuck in his drainpipe trousers.
He's stable.

6When did you last use cash? Empty Re: When did you last use cash? Sat Feb 13 2021, 01:31

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

We have most of our groceries delivered due to COVID and I always make sure to leave a tip outside for whoever drops off.

Also, to support them during this shit show of a pandemic, we order from local restaurants once or twice per week. I refuse to use the likes of Deliveroo, GrubHub, Seamless etc. as they take a huge % from the restaurants which makes me twinge with anger whenever I think about it. I only order directly and also leave a tip outside for the poor bastard who has to brave this brutal weather we're having.

Other than that I don't use cash at all but would be prepared to if someone could tell me how many actual posters there are on Nuts. By my latest reckoning there are only about 3 of you schizos on here.

7When did you last use cash? Empty Re: When did you last use cash? Sat Feb 13 2021, 08:22

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Tipping is something I would abolish if I could.

Why are some jobs deemed worth tipping and not others? The situation in the USA is completely out of control.

8When did you last use cash? Empty Re: When did you last use cash? Sat Feb 13 2021, 13:49

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I use cash for things like bread and milk from the local shops but i have a small fortune in my wallet that i can't spend. Its due to Christmas and my kids getting money, so every time they want to buy something online i pay for it and they give me the cash and it just sits in my wallet.

9When did you last use cash? Empty Re: When did you last use cash? Sat Feb 13 2021, 13:50

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I've got a 10 and 5 pound note in my wallet. I don't know how long they've been there, but I no longer feel silly about using my card for purchases of only £1. (I also have a single £2 coin from way back when)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum