Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can Ian Evatt coax the best out of Charlton loanee Maddison?

+5
doffcocker
gloswhite
boltonbonce
Norpig
karlypants
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt could be forgiven for sitting back and enjoying the view as his Wanderers machine continues its relentless march up the League Two table at the weekend.

Having taken the brickbats when things were not going well, the Bolton boss may also be entitled to crow a little about the fact his side are on an 11-match unbeaten run – something the seven other men who sat in the hotseat since Sam Allardyce could not manage to do.

But while talk at Port Vale centred Bolton’s new-found reserves of fight to go with the flair, another discussion was pushed to one side about a name conspicuous by its absence on the team-sheet.

Evatt has done splendidly to bind a winning team from the signings he made in January and the squad which had under-achieved in the first half of the season – but perhaps his biggest challenge is to coax the best out of enigmatic winger Marcus Maddison.

The manager was kind last week when he described Maddison’s start at Bolton as “slow-ish” and the incredible rate of improvement the team has shown since the start of February has certainly made it easier to side-line the Charlton loanee’s disappointing showings to date. Maddison has played 251 minutes of football thus far for the Whites, starting three games and lasting a little over an hour in each.

His previous start at Charlton had been on December 19 in a 2-2 draw at Swindon and the only time he completed 90 minutes this season was in an EFL Trophy game against Leyton Orient in November.

His relationship with then Charlton boss Lee Bowyer – now poised to take over at Birmingham City – had deteriorated, with rumours that he was no longer training with the first team.

With that in mind – was it unrealistic to expect the 27-year-old to hit the ground running at the UniBol?

“What he has to understand and realise is there isn’t a switch you can just flick on and off,” Evatt said last week, referring to the player’s struggles thus far. “When you have been out of it and training with youth teams, to come straight back into a first team environment and think you are going to be the same player he was at Peterborough two years ago, it doesn’t work like that.”

Whether there is enough time remaining in the season to see the ‘real’ Maddison emerge, remains to be seen. But as the pressure builds and games take on added importance with each passing week in the promotion chase, the need for a playmaker capable of producing the extraordinary could be greater than ever.

The challenge for Evatt is to keep a player motivated whilst trying to get him up to the kind of condition the rest of his team are in. For Maddison, it is about wanting to get to that same place.

With a jazzy headband and skill to burn, there is a clear path for the former Peterborough man to become a star at Bolton and make an impact on a promotion run.

We should learn a lot more about Maddison as a person and a footballer between now and May, depending on his success on that front.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Maddison is in the last chance saloon. If he fails here then he will struggle to get another contract at a league club. I think he is a decent player but i get the feeling he thinks he's better than he is so maybe it's an attitude problem?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Maddison is in the last chance saloon. If he fails here then he will struggle to get another contract at a league club. I think he is a decent player but i get the feeling he thinks he's better than he is so maybe it's an attitude problem?
He needs to start taking the simple options. Far too busy looking for a Hollywood pass, or self serving run.
Has ability for sure, but he needs to use his head.

Agreed Bonce, every time I’ve seen him he’s swanned about and tried something over elaborate whenever he’s had the chance. There’s clearly a player in there, but if his attitude isn’t right we may never see it.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Now that we've started on the run-in, and have enough known quantity players, I see no need to entertain him to be honest. I will say though, that there are glimpses of something better, but they are far outweighed by his inability to follow a game, never mind an opposition player. I can see he's trying, and maybe that is a lot of his trouble, he's trying too hard. I feel sorry for him sometimes, wandering around trying to join in, but the big boys won't let him. Oh, by the way, it would help if he tackled somebody now and then.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Far be it from me to get personal about players, but I saw Maddison in Tesco the other night and his whole image and demeanour just screamed....Knob.

He's the kind of player who if we were on a bad run and fans were allowed in stadiums he'd be the first to get some stick.

I'm sure he's got the ability to be a good League One player but he needs to remember where he is now.

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

GET RID!!!!

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Really annoys me how everyone is molly coddling Maddison likes he’s some sort of superstar that’s gone a bit wayward. The guy is absolutely garbage and I bet toxic to be around. Get rid

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

It's weird really at one time every team had a maverick and the fans loved them for the excitment  they brought to the game, Worthington, Bowles, Curry, Marsh, Best, Mckenzie etc all brought added value because you knew in one moment of magic they paid there way. 

Marcus Maddison at this level could be that player however he is not match fit and lacking the confidence that comes with game time, so just now he adds no value because we can't afford to experiment. Long term maybe but his body language at this point says it won't happen.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:It's weird really at one time every team had a maverick and the fans loved them for the excitment  they brought to the game, Worthington, Bowles, Curry, Marsh, Best, Mckenzie etc all brought added value because you knew in one moment of magic they paid there way. 

Marcus Maddison at this level could be that player however he is not match fit and lacking the confidence that comes with game time, so just now he adds no value because we can't afford to experiment. Long term maybe but his body language at this point says it won't happen.
When is a maverick not a maverick? When he doesn’t produce the magic to compensate for being a passenger I guess.
Totally agree he hasn’t had the game time but the manager sees a lot more of him than we do  and what he have seen of him has been poor.
You mention some great players above but the difference between them and Maddison -apart from the quality- is that when they weren’t attempting the spectacular they were at least bringing in other players for the most part. And none of them were in teams that depended on possession so it didn’t matter so much if they tried something and gave the ball away. 
I would love it if he started to shine but I’m not convinced he’s a good fit with Evatt’s playing style anyway especially as we have to sacrifice a decent midfielder like Sarcevic to fit him in. We’ll see.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Not saying that Evatt is an arrogant man, but could there possibly be a bit of face-saving going on here?  Very Happy

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:Not saying that Evatt is an arrogant man, but could there possibly be a bit of face-saving going on here?  Very Happy
I think his signings have been great, but Maddison is a gamble

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum