Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When the ABC Cinema was at heart of Bolton's Churchgate

+2
boltonbonce
karlypants
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When the ABC Cinema was at heart of Bolton's Churchgate 12686521

The view of Churchgate in Bolton in December, 1971 shows the ABC cinema on the left and other businesses which subsequently disappeared, including Lennon's Supermarket, the Chip Inn, the Sandwich Inn and the Boars Head pub.

Source

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That picture brings back some happy memories, KP.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:That picture brings back some happy memories, KP.

Yes indeed.

The first film my brother took me to see was Zulu at the ABC in 1964.

Strangely enough around that time one of my school class lessons was a type of sing-a-long to a BBC schools radio broadcast which featured the song Men of Harlech.

I remember copying out the words from the songbook so I could sing it with him at home!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was only born in 1971 so before my time and i didn't know there had been a cinema there. The ones i remember where on Bradshawgate and the big one (was it an Odeon?) near the old bus station.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:I was only born in 1971 so before my time and i didn't know there had been a cinema there. The ones i remember where on Bradshawgate and the big one (was it an Odeon?) near the old bus station.

Yes the Odeon on Moor Lane and the Lido on Bradshawgate

When the ABC Cinema was at heart of Bolton's Churchgate 2825330?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember the Lido although when it was the ABC. It must have closed in the very early 90’s when laser quest took over the ground floor?

I’m pretty sure the odeon building was pulled down not that long ago.

Wasn’t that the original Mecca bingo before it moved to the old Sainsbury’s building next to the market?

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

karlypants wrote:When the ABC Cinema was at heart of Bolton's Churchgate 12686521

The view of Churchgate in Bolton in December, 1971 shows the ABC cinema on the left and other businesses which subsequently disappeared, including Lennon's Supermarket, the Chip Inn, the Sandwich Inn and the Boars Head pub.

Source
The ABC in Churchgate was formerly the Capitol. Across the road was the Theatre Royal and next to that the Grand Theatre on the corner of Paley Street and Churchgate.

E G Paley was a Lancaster based architect whose work included the design of the Parish Church and Lancaster Cathedral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Graham_Paley

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:The ABC in Churchgate was formerly the Capitol. Across the road was the Theatre Royal and next to that the Grand Theatre on the corner of Paley Street and Churchgate.

It used to confuse me no end that growing up as my parents always called in the Capitol yet the cinema itself was branded the ABC.

I thought for quite a while there was another cinema in Bolton I didn't know about and couldn't understand why it wasn't advertised in the BEN as to what films in was showing!

My parents reminisced a many times about the Grand and Theatre Royal and although I'm old enough to have seen them - and must have done so too - I can't really recall them although I do remember the supermarket on the site being built.

I do remember the Hippodrome Theatre in Deansgate though although I believe it had already closed down several years previously to me being aware of it.

Happy days.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's weird. I'm sure Zulu was on at the Queens when it came to Bolton.
When the ABC Cinema was at heart of Bolton's Churchgate Large
..at least that's where I remember seeing it.
But of course I could be mistaken.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:That's weird. I'm sure Zulu was on at the Queens when it came to Bolton.
When the ABC Cinema was at heart of Bolton's Churchgate Large
..at least that's where I remember seeing it.
But of course I could be mistaken.

I think you are - I just googled Zulu film abc bolton cinema and found this -

WHEN Brian White was five he saw the film “Zulu” at the old ABC Cinema in Bolton and it changed his life.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/16983889.bolton-photographer-brian-white-sees-world-opportunity/

Nothing under the search with queens replacing abc.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Photo offers glimpse of a Bolton 'lost' cinema - the Lido

When the ABC Cinema was at heart of Bolton's Churchgate 12724412

Another of Bolton’s ‘lost’ cinemas catches the eye in this photo from the archives. Taken in 1959 at the junction with Newport Street, you are looking down Great Moor Street towards the Lido cinema. The Lido would later become Studio 1, 2, 3 and the Cannon cinema before closing in 1998

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The one on Bradshawgate (next to the Dance Factory) was the one i remember going to when i was a teenager and until it closed down.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum