Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The jobs Micks if he wants it

+12
xmiles
Lofty_Love
Natasha Whittam
Dinae Moe Humm
Copper Dragon
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
aaron_bwfc
Bernard Dennis Park
Reebok_Rebel
chipbutty
JonnyRandom
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 06:42

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Lets hope the below is Mark Iles nonsense...please

Mick: The job's mine for the taking

5:50am Thursday 18th October 2012 in Latest By Marc Iles

MICK McCarthy claims the vacant job at Wanderers is his if he wants it.

The former Republic of Ireland chief has told associates in the Midlands that he was offered the chance to succeed Owen Coyle after a two-and-a-half hour meeting in Bolton last Friday afternoon.

His bold claim continues to be vehemently denied by sources at the Reebok, who had insisted just days after Coyle was sacked that the 53-year-old was not in the running.

But those close to McCarthy reckon discussions have been so far-reaching that the topic of accommodation had even been covered for him and long-term assistant Terry Connor.

To further complicate matters, McCarthy’s allies have also revealed he is on the wanted list at Wanderers’ Lancashire rivals Burnley and Blackburn Rovers, who are also on the hunt for a new boss.

They claim the chance to inherit a strong, but under-achieving squad from Coyle would be the former Millwall and Wolves manager’s favoured choice but that he does have reservations over some of the terms apparently offered to him.

McCarthy wants to bring in Connor, who served for four years at Molineux as his number two. If that were to happen, there would be no natural post for Sammy Lee – who, it is understood, will be a permanent feature on the training ground for any new appointment.

Jimmy Phillips and Julian Darby are also likely to be kept on by the club after stepping into the breach over the last week to prepare the side.

It is also rumoured that Yorkshireman McCarthy is not keen on a short-term contract, which would be accompanied with a big financial bonus should Wanderers succeed in their aim of gaining promotion this season.

Those claims continue to be stonewalled by those inside the Reebok - but a report yesterday put the silence down to an agreement that discussions would be kept under wraps until after the Whites travel to Molineux on Tuesday evening to avoid placing any unnecessary pressure from the media on the game.

From the moment talk of a shortlist surfaced, noises from within the Wanderers set-up hinted that a younger, fresher manager would be sought, with Ole Gunnar Solksjaer a top target.

Since the Norwegian went public last week with comments that he would remain with his club Molde at least for another month, other avenues have been explored - with informal discussions taking place with a handful of other candidates, including Portsmouth boss Michael Appleton and Crystal Palace’s Dougie Freedman.

News from McCarthy’s camp would suggest that shorter-term measures are being investigated and another experienced campaigner, Graeme Souness was also put into the frame by one report yesterday - but that link has also been met with a lukewarm reaction from inside the club.

The former Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers boss has not been in football for six years, and has worked as a leading pundit for Sky TV.

But although the Scottish manager, now 59, topped a straw poll run by The Bolton News yesterday with 31 per cent of the vote from McCarthy (28), Phillips (18), Freedman (17) and Appleton (7), his appointment would be considered a surprising one.

Souness has worked alongside Lee before, at Liverpool, and also made Phillips - who will take charge of the team against Bristol City on Saturday - his second signing after taking charge of Glasgow Rangers in the late eighties.

2The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 08:25

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

If the board see Mick Mc as the man to take the club forward then they have no vision.

The best he could achieve would be mid-table (and that with dire football).

People seem to have forgotten he has the record for the highest number of consecutive PL defeats.

3The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 11:16

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Mick the prick...

It will be meson all over again. I remember the fans singing ''gary megson, your a wanker'' at the Braga game...

I wont be a happy bunny...

4The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 11:29

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

JonnyRandom wrote:Lets hope the below is Mark Iles nonsense...please

He said Coyle wasn't going to get sacked and then he did. He also said McCarthy wasn't even on the short list for the job. So hopefully it's more bullshit.

5The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 11:49

JonnyRandom

JonnyRandom
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Bernard Dennis Park wrote:
JonnyRandom wrote:Lets hope the below is Mark Iles nonsense...please

He said Coyle wasn't going to get sacked and then he did. He also said McCarthy wasn't even on the short list for the job. So hopefully it's more bullshit.

Fingers crossed then!!

6The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:12

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I can't see this being 100% accurate, I only ever believe an article like this when you at least see a quote from the manager being linked.

I wish the board would just come out say something because it's getting on for 2 weeks now and not a fucking word from anyone regarding a new manager.

7The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:I can't see this being 100% accurate, I only ever believe an article like this when you at least see a quote from the manager being linked.

I wish the board would just come out say something because it's getting on for 2 weeks now and not a fucking word from anyone regarding a new manager.

They did say something though. They said JP and SL would be looking after things for the time being.

Can't expect the club to get involved in media speculation, especially as they.ve already made their position clear.

8The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:16

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:I can't see this being 100% accurate, I only ever believe an article like this when you at least see a quote from the manager being linked.

They are waiting to see what JP and LSL can conjure up this weekend.

9The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:18

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Fair enough, just getting impatient! Very Happy

To be honest I am quite optimistic about Saturdays game under Jim and Sam.

10The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:49

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

aaron_bwfc wrote:Fair enough, just getting impatient! Very Happy

To be honest I am quite optimistic about Saturdays game under Jim and Sam.

I'm starting to hope we totally rip Bristol city a new arsehole...

im not too fond of the JP/SL/JD trio, however if they pull results out of the had, id stick with them till at least the end of the season.

If something aint broke...

that said, we may get dicked, then i will want a manager ASAP, footballs a fickle game...

11The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We just have to be patient. I'd rather the Board wait to get the right guy, not the first guy.

12The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 12:56

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

He's just gone joint favourite for the Burnley job, if you take any notice of bookies odds.

13The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 13:03

Dinae Moe Humm

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Marc Iles is a shit journalist. Ignore him.

14The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 13:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dinae Moe Humm wrote:Marc Iles is a shit journalist. Ignore him.

Agreed. I think I hate him.

15The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 13:08

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

To be fair I like the sound of the training regime at the moment, really seems to have stepped up, and comparisons keep being made to training under Big Sam which can only be a positive thing.

And with Jimmy there I expect there will be a lot more use of the younger players made - so hopefully more competition and flexibility.

Since the potentials list is massively unexciting im happy to let them have a little go, and if it doesn't work out I think id want Dougie Freedman as things stand now.

Oh and I noticed that on the new Fifa Wylde has a speed rating of around 90 (out of 100) they rate him as pretty much the fastest in the Championship, I know thats not exactly a solid base to judge a player on but hey we dont have much else to go off, surely a good impact sub?

16The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 13:09

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Lofty_Love wrote:

Oh and I noticed that on the new Fifa Wylde has a speed rating of around 90 (out of 100) they rate him as pretty much the fastest in the Championship, I know thats not exactly a solid base to judge a player on but hey we dont have much else to go off, surely a good impact sub?

Now that Coyle's gone we might actually see some of the players he bought play.

17The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 13:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:

Now that Coyle's gone we might actually see some of the players he bought play.

He bought Ngog and played him to death.

18The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 14:02

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

three relatively big clubs, in terms of the championship, chasing a manager who's record of failure is startling.

Beyond me.

19The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 14:10

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

These names keep being branded about but surely we have more names in the hat than these boring bastards.

How about Sven or managers with a half decent record abroad, i'm all for one for bringing in a manager with experience of this league but none who are available at the moment really fill me with much hope.

20The jobs Micks if he wants it Empty Re: The jobs Micks if he wants it Thu Oct 18 2012, 14:52

Hipster_Nebula wrote:three relatively big clubs, in terms of the championship, chasing a manager who's record of failure is startling.

Beyond me.

Rovers aren't after McCarthy, that's paper bollocks. They've made an official approach for Tim Sherwood and while that's been turned down by Spurs I still think it will happen.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum