Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will Aimson sets target ahead of Oxford United clash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Will Aimson sets target ahead of Oxford United clash 13459914

Will Aimson hopes he has broken the seal on success from set pieces for Wanderers this season.

The defender headed home Aaron Morley’s free-kick to seal three points against Charlton Athletic on Tuesday night, scoring his first in Bolton colours.

It was just the third goal scored by the club this season from a dead ball situation but Aimson is optimistic that an improved focus on the training ground will start to produce better results.

“When you get a corner as a centre-half you have to walk up there with the body language, the belief and the aggression to go and get on the end of one. Luckily, this time, I was that person,” he told The Bolton News. “We have been working on them, trying different corners, different deliveries, and it has to be a case of practising what you preach.

“The season I was at Bury I got a few goals and I have never been a striker but I can imagine that feeling of when you score one, you get more.

“When you haven’t had one in a while, I can understand that belief that you will go and get another one.

“Rico (Ricardo Santos) is great in the air and I am sure it won’t be long before he scores – in fact I was having a laugh as we ran off, I told him it was 1-0 to me.”

Victory against Charlton came just a few days after Amadou Bakayoko had snatched a point for his side from a stormy game in Morecambe.

Local police arrested a 61-year-old man in the hours after the match, during which Ian Evatt had led his players off the pitch after an accusation of racial abuse towards the Bolton bench.

Aimson played down the effect the incident had on Tuesday’s performance against Charlton Athletic.

“The performance wasn’t as good as it has been recently but on the flip side, when you can win games and not play well it can be a big bonus,” he said.

“It was one of the more interesting games I have played in. What went on, it isn’t really my place to speak about it and emotions were running high during and after the game.

“The situation is now in the right hands and we are happy that it is being dealt with properly. If those comments are made to someone on my team, or the other team, I don’t want to see it. You don’t want it on the pitch, the changing room, and I am sure most fans don’t want it either.

“It is horrible, but I know my team-mates and they got their heads on properly and there wouldn’t have been a hangover from it.”

Aimson admits performance levels will need to pick up to preserve a six-game unbeaten run at fifth-placed Oxford on Saturday.

“Every time I seem to play Oxford they seem to be very good,” he said. “I don’t know why – but they are always a good footballing side so it is a tough place to go. I am looking forward to it because it is a nice place to play. We’ll recover right, look at the footage and go and get a gameplan to beat them.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum