Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt admits Bolton need to do more from set-pieces

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt admits Bolton need to do more from set-pieces 13465315

Ian Evatt admits Wanderers need to do better with set-pieces but is hopeful they have turned a corner.

Will Aimson’s header against Charlton on Tuesday night was only the Whites’ third goal from a dead-ball situation this season.

Evatt now has a plethora of set-piece takers at his disposal following the arrivals of Aaron Morley, Kyle Dempsey and Kieran Sadlier.

“We’ve looked at so many set plays and done work on how important the delivery is to the movement – the answer is they’re both equally important,” said the Bolton boss.

“The delivery is vital and you saw the goal on Tuesday – it was so good that we couldn’t not score. It’s the ball that goes in there and says, ‘go and head me in’.

“Will (Aimson) ended up doing that and it’s great that they’re starting to get competitive. I think Will is starting to get competitive with Rico (Santos) to say he’s one up.

“I’ve mentioned to Rico this morning if he doesn’t score this season there will be a hefty punishment in the summer! What that will be, I don’t know yet.

“But we have to start scoring more from set-pieces. We’re a team who created chances from open play and that’s the toughest part - it’s really tough to cut teams open.

“Set plays are where you can get goals from so we need to do more.”

Evatt insists the finer details are crucial when it comes to set-pieces and feels his players are making progress in training.

He added: “It is about having belief to go and score and it is relying on the taker to put it in the right areas. That isn’t always the case – it’s not easy to do, we understand that.

“But when we’ve worked on specific routines, it’s the detail in those routines and it could break down with one blocker not doing his job.

“If the man’s trying to block the central zone and he heads it away, it’s not the taker’s fault – it’s the blocker not doing his job.

“It’s making them understand that it’s every small detail within a set-piece that makes the difference. I think they’re starting to understand that now.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum