Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I couldn't keep Sadlier 'hostage' - Rotherham boss explains Bolton star's exit

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I couldn't keep Sadlier 'hostage' - Rotherham boss explains Bolton star's exit 13483368

Rotherham boss Paul Warne has explained his reasons for not allowing Kieran Sadlier to join Wanderers in the summer.

Bolton finally got their man last month, and Sadlier made his first start for the Whites in Tuesday night’s 3-1 defeat at Burton Albion.

But the playmaker said it had been a “mystery” why he was not allowed to link-up with Ian Evatt’s side when they initially made contact about a move in July last year.

Sadlier had been on the fringes of the first team but a change in formation left him facing an uncertain future at the New York Stadium.

“He felt he wanted to play somewhere else,” Warne explained in the Rotherham Advertiser. “In the summer there was interest from a club but they didn't want to pay a fee, so why we would we let our player walk out when he's a talented player?

“I said this to Kieran: 'You tell me who I can sign for your wages who is as good as you and we can do the deal.'

“In the end, in the January window signing Georgie (Kelly) gave us another attacking player so the club allowed Kieran to leave.”

Warne says he offered Sadlier the chance to play as a wing-back after moving to 3-5-2 but that the player felt he was better suited to midfield.

“We signed Kieran to play on the wing but then we changed formation and played wing-backs rather than wingers,” he said. “Kieran didn't want to play as a wing-back; he didn't see how that helped him.

“He just wasn't better than my midfield three to play in there.

“Sometimes careers go in different directions. I've texted Kieran after each Bolton game he's played in. I know he's come on as a substitute there. He might force his way into the team. They have good attacking options.

“A lot of the stuff Kieran did when he played for us was really good.”

Warne said that Sadlier parted on good terms with the Millers and he believes he can make a success of his time with Bolton.

“A lot of players don't get the game-time they want,” he said. “You just can't keep them all happy. In the end, they feel it's better for them to leave for a different opportunity.

“You can keep them but then you've got 'hostages' - which you don't want.

“I never had a fall-out with Kieran. His attitude was always spot on. He goes to Bolton with our blessing. Good on him, I hope it works out for him.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum