Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nigel Farage 'vote power not poverty' rally at Bolton Whites Hotel cancelled

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A RALLY planned by Nigel Farage’s campaign group “vote power not poverty” that had been due to take place in Bolton has been cancelled.

The rally, hosted by the right-wing former political candidate, was set to take place at the Bolton Whites Hotel later this month, but Bolton Wanderers FC has this morning confirmed that the event will not be happening.

Mr Farage had been due to speak at a “Vote Power Not Poverty” rally, which campaigns against “net zero” environmental policies but which critics have accused of opposing measures crucial to tackling climate change

A statement issued by the club said: “A 'Vote Power Not Poverty' Rally scheduled for later this month at the Bolton Whites Hotel will not be happening.

“The event has been cancelled by BWFC and is not something the club and business wishes to be associated with.”

Before the cancellation was announced the group had been keen to promote its meeting in Bolton as its first ever rally.

As well as the former UKIP and Brexit Party leader, it was also due to feature Reform Party leader Richard Tice and commentator Dominique Taegon.

The campaign group claims that its aim is to demand a referendum on the government’s proposed Net Zero policies, which it claims will be “life changing.”

A statement issued by Vote Power Not Poverty said: “We all care about the environment and want cleaner air.

“We all want to do our bit. But Westminster’s Net Zero is the wrong bit, at the wrong price, in the wrong timeframe.”

But the planned event had proven to be controversial both due to the nature of the campaign group itself, which critics have dubbed to be environmentally destructive and a lobbyist for fossil fuel companies and also due to the highly divisive nature of Mr Farage himself.

The Bolton rally was intended to have been the first of a series of such events to be held across the country over the spring and summer of this year.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I know KP loves this man but i truly despise him and glad that BWFC have  cancelled this. We as a club shouldn't associate with idiots like Nasty Nigel.

3Nigel Farage 'vote power not poverty' rally at Bolton Whites Hotel cancelled Empty Wanderers kick out Farage! Tue Mar 08 2022, 13:01

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

To be honest I don't really know what this is all about and so didn't know where to post this - The War thread, The Brexit thread, The Tory thread, Bonce the Massive Gobshite thread, so I've posted in here instead.

The only comment I can make at this stage is that if FV and the club don't want to be associate with Farage and/or whatever the meeting was about - then why did they take the booking in the first place or if it was an innocent mistake to have done so, why didn't they just cancel it immediately it had (or maybe that is what they actual have done?)

Either way it doesn't look as the club is desperate for the money and I guess Nigel can always find some place else to hold his meeting.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've just added the same story in the town and district section. As i said there he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near our club and we shouldn't associate with right wing scum like him.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Whoops sorry Norpig, I've just posted something similar on the Wandering Minds part of the forum - you beat me to it by a matter of minutes!

If you don't mind I'll leave both threads up for now (so all this can be more widely seen for now) and merge them both together later into your thread being it was started before mine.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

fine with me Sluffy  :good:

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've just merged them :facepalm:

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Keep my massive gobshite thread out of this!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:I've just merged them :facepalm:

I'd left them separately because I thought most people read the Wandering Minds part of the forum than the Town and District one that this is on.

That's the only reason I'd left it and would have merged them myself later this evening.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
karlypants wrote:I've just merged them :facepalm:

I'd left them separately because I thought most people read the Wandering Minds part of the forum than the Town and District one that this is on.

That's the only reason I'd left it and would have merged them myself later this evening.
I hadn’t seen your post in Norpig’s thread when I went and merged them. That was all. Smile

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nigel Farage’s group has hit back after a rally planned to take place at Bolton Wanderer’s ground was cancelled following a backlash from fans.

The “Vote Power Not Poverty” event, which calls for a referendum on the government’s Net Zero climate change policies, had been due to take place at the Bolton Whites Hotel on Saturday March 26 and would have featured Bolton West MP Chris Green and various campaigners alongside Mr Farage.

But after a backlash from fans, Bolton Wanderer FC announced yesterday that they were cancelling the event, a decision denounced by the group.

A Vote Power Not Poverty spokesperson said: “In a Moscow style rebuke to free speech, this decision is an attempt to stifle a much needed debate on the expensive consequences of the government’s Net Zero plans, when there are better solutions.

“This is particularly difficult to understand given that those consequences will be most felt in areas like Bolton. The old will die colder, poorer, sooner.

“The young will be burdened with higher costs, fewer jobs, less money.”

Mr Green, whose represents the area around Bolton Wanderer’s ground in parliament, was also critical of the decision to call of the event, which he says would have been “cross party.”

He said: “One of the key issues that constituents raise with me is the cost of living crisis and the cost of fuel.

“It’s a key political issue, made all the more important by the Russian attacks on Ukraine.”

He added: “I believe that this issue should be debated, it should be debated in my constituency and it should be debated across the country.”

But the decision has been welcomed by many Wanderers fans and by other regional leaders.

Northern Powerhouse Partnership director Henri Murison said: “Thousands of green jobs will be at risk should Farage get his way.

“What’s more, it will maintain Europe’s reliance on gas and oil, providing an economic lifeline to Putin and his regime.

“He should be joining with northern communities who are organising help and donations for refugees, instead of serving the interests of a foreign aggressor.”

Bolton Wanderers FC did not wish to comment further.

Source

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum