Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt calls for mandatory international breaks in League One

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt calls for mandatory international breaks in League One 12945424

Wanderers boss Ian Evatt reckons League One clubs should have mandatory international breaks.

The Whites were due to face Portsmouth at the UniBol on Saturday, March 26 but the game has now been re-arranged due to call-ups from both sides.

International breaks are in place for clubs in the Premier League and Championship, but League One sides are expected to fulfil their fixtures where possible.

Evatt feels the current system doesn’t offer a level playing field across the division and wants to see more consistency in terms of which fixtures go ahead.

“What I’d like to see because it can hinder or help really is just a level playing field, so a bit like the Premier League and Championship - whether you’ve got internationals or not - the whole division is cancelled,” said the Bolton boss.

“You can’t have five, six or seven games called off for internationals and the rest going ahead because people are either falling behind or it suits people who have got injuries.

“I just think some consistency and a level playing field will help everybody. This is nice for us to have internationals again, I’ve got to say.

“It’s nice that we’ve got players being selected for national duty and we wish them well and hope they can return in one piece.”

Wanderers have had several international call-ups this month, with Dion Charles returning to the Northern Ireland squad.

Amadou Bakayoko has also been selected by Sierra Leone, while Manchester City loanee James Trafford has made the latest England Under-20 squad.

Meanwhile, Jon Dadi Bodvarsson has been called up for Iceland’s upcoming friendlies against Finland and Spain.

Josh Sheehan was also involved for Wales before his season was cut short by a knee injury, and Evatt is pleased to see several members of his squad involved on the international scene.

The Bolton boss insists that it highlights the progress the club has made over the past couple of years.

He added: “I’m pleased that we’ve got internationals. Traff aside, Dion, Jon and Baka are our own players as well.

“Obviously Josh Sheehan was involved with Wales before his injury so we’ve got some very good players now and we’re heading on the right path.

“I think it was only two years ago that the club was in dire straights and now it’s a completely different place and we’re pleased about that.

“We’ve still got a lot of work to do but it’s nice for individuals to get recognition by the national teams.

“We hope they go out there and they impress and play as well as they possibly can do but fundamentally important that they return in one piece.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum