Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt: 'There seemed to be a card a challenge at one point'

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt: 'There seemed to be a card a challenge at one point' 13690610

Ian Evatt was pleased to come out on top of a fiery local clash with Accrington Stanley – but insists there was barely a bad challenge in the game.

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson came off the bench to score twice and settle the game in Bolton’s favour – returning them to the top 10 in League One and making it a double winning Easter weekend.

Referee Thomas Bramall dished out eight yellow cards and sent off Stanley winger Rosaire Longelo for a late tackle on Aaron Morley.

But Evatt felt the card happy official had set too low a tolerance level in the first half.

“Neither side had a lot to play for, barring pride and professionalism,” he said. “And I didn’t feel there were many bad challenges at all but there seemed to be a card a challenge at one point.

“I haven’t seen the red back but at the time we were appealing for a foul and the referee sent the lad off, which made it slightly more comfortable for us, but I was pleased with the win because they asked us a lot of questions.

“You have to remember that squad has a lot of injuries too, they are physically and mentally tired after two games in quick succession, so I was really happy with the result.”

Stanley also had a goal disallowed shortly before the red card but on this occasion Evatt felt the linesman had made the right call.

“It was offside – and we have had some bad luck with that of late. Finally the officials got one right,” he said.

Wanderers had struggled in possession for the opening half an hour but grabbed the lead before half time with Dapo Afolayan’s 14th goal of the season.

Jay Rich-Baghuelou equalised for the visitors, prompting Evatt to switch formation and bring on three attacking substitutes – Bodvarsson, Amadou Bakayoko and Kieran Sadlier.

Within a couple of minutes Bodvarsson had given them a lead they never surrendered.

“What we have got now it really good options, looking at different things, different systems to be adaptable next season. We have to be able to nail down shapes, formations and structures and what will be required at the drop of a hat,” Evatt explained.

“We have changed in both games over the weekend, moved from 3-5-2 or vice-versa, and today we had to do that.

“Today they caused us problems going ultra man-for-man on the full press and when you haven’t got that physical presence up front you can struggle to play to that front line.

“Having said that, we got the goal by putting it up to the third line. Dapo gambled and we got the goal.

“Second half, rather than playing through the press we decided to go over it. Bakayoko and Bodvarsson came on and caused problems. The big man is on absolute fire at the moment and the two of them are combining really well.”

Wanderers will finish the season off with a trip to Cheltenham Town next weekend, followed by a home game against struggling Fleetwood.

Evatt wants to finish the season unbeaten and then look to push for promotion again next term.

“We are disappointed not to have got nearer to the play-offs but there is a lot to be positive about as well,” he said. “As a newly promoted team, 67 points with two to play is a good effort.

“We feel we have left some points out there but everyone could probably say the same thing.

“I do feel we have had more injuries than most, especially that November-December period which has ultimately cost us. But one thing is for sure we are heading in the right direction. There are different options and plans now.

“I think we have lost three games since mid-January, and that is title winning form.

“We are pleased and want to finish strongly, build momentum for next season.

“The exciting thing for me is that we have not had a full pre-season with this squad yet, and there will be more players joining in the summer. There is lots to come from us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum