Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sharon Brittan reckons Bolton Wanderers are "back and here to stay"

+2
Ten Bobsworth
karlypants
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wanderers chairman Sharon Brittan insists the club is “back and here to stay” after a "strong and successful" return to League One.

The club has come a long way both on and off the pitch since the Football Ventures takeover back in 2019.

The Whites finished ninth in their first season back in the third tier and have been one of the form teams in the division since the turn of the year.

Brittan says Ian Evatt and his players have “brought back hope and belief” to the Wanderers fanbase.

In a message to those attending the club’s End of Season Awards last night, she wrote: "So much has happened at Bolton Wanderers since we were last able to come together as the Bolton Family and enjoy an evening like we are about to experience.

"However, we meet here under the lights of a club embarking on a progressive journey, to finally celebrate not only that unforgettable promotion to League One in May last year but to also reflect on what has been a strong and successful 2021/22 season, which has created many special memories.

"The manager, Ian Evatt, his staff and this group of players have brought hope and belief back to all Wanderers fans with a superb track record at home, impressive away days, and that monumental 6-0 over Sunderland - an afternoon that will live long in the memory!

"But it's not just the passion and pride that these players bring to the pitch, it's what they represent off it too. This club is inextricably linked to its town and community and it's clear these players have a deep respect for that.

"They have built a natural and special rapport with our supporters who, in turn, in their tens of thousands, week after week, back their efforts home and away. It's something I'm incredibly proud of.

"I would like to pay tribute to our partners and stakeholders, who stood shoulder to shoulder to help us guide Bolton Wanderers through some of the club's darkest times. We simply would not be here without your loyalty and love for this club and we thank you for your unparalleled support.

"And finally my thanks go to the staff off the pitch, who work so hard every day to continue bringing this club back to life and to its rightful standing in the world of football. Our ethos of 'One Club, One Community, One Town' feels more pertinent than ever.

"So as we celebrate this special squad, we will rejoice in their recent successes and enjoy that unmistakable feeling of Bolton being back - and here to stay!"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

One Club, One Community, One Town, but no accounts.

Worrabout the audit, Sharon, azit bin dun yet? ..dunno..

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers director Nick Luckock on 'solid' finances and club's progress

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

WANDERERS director Nick Luckock believes the club has made “real progress” despite the debilitating effect the pandemic had on football.

Speaking at the end-of-season awards, corporate finance expert Luckock claimed the business was now financially sound, just under three years since the Football Ventures group rescued it from administration, and likely liquidation.

The whole of last season was played without a single supporter allowed through the turnstiles at the University of Bolton Stadium but the public have backed Wanderers in number since being given the green light to return this year.

“It has been over five years since we have held an evening such as this and I am sure everyone in this room is thrilled to be here celebrating the progress Bolton Wanderers have made, both on and off the pitch, given all the challenges we have all faced in that time,” Lucock said.

“Football Ventures, led by our irrepressible and dynamic chair, Sharon Brittan, is a long-standing group of investors who combine their love of football with their commercial skills and the recognition that a community-based club such as Bolton can be a powerful force. We took on the challenge of rescuing, rebuilding and improving BWFC two-and-a-half years ago.

“From the very outset we lived by a set of guiding principles that recognised we are custodians of the club. We simply hope that we will be a positive chapter in the stories history of the modern Whites.

“We are clear that pragmatic progression in all aspects of the club is our mantra.

“We have been tested in so many ways. Who could have contemplated that the hotel would be closed to guests in a pandemic, or that we would have to close the stadium to our fans? But with the support of so many people in this room and elsewhere I am pleased to say that I feel like we are making some real progress.

“Onwards and upwards has become the phrase for Ian (Evatt), Neil (Hart) and the leadership team. And it says a lot about the ethos we have developed and the improvements we are trying to make.

“Our squad is well poised to push on for a second promotion, urged on by bigger crowds in the stadium and digitally, our financial profile is solid, our hotel is thriving, and most importantly BWFC is right back in the heart of the community.

Luckock paid special praise to Sharon Brittan, who has been FV’s figurehead as chair, and without whom he claimed the takeover would never have happened.

“None of us would be here tonight, and Bolton Wanderers would not exist if it wasn’t for her sheer drive, determination, effort and even love. For that I think we should all be truly grateful,” he said.

He also added a note of thanks to Westhoughton businessman, Michael James, whose backing has also helped Bolton through tough times.

“I’d also like to thank my fellow director Michael James. Quite simply, he is Whites through and through. He has helped the club in so many ways for a long period of time and I know that every day he is striving to make it better.”

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

He didn't mention Simon Marland then? That's a bit of an omission, isn't it?

If there's one person at BWFC who has BWFC coursing through his veins, its Simon Marland and he's on his way out (if he's not departed already).

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Tue May 03 2022, 14:48; edited 1 time in total

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It’s impossible to differentiate between truth and bravado without accurate information but at least they are sounding positive about the near future and tbh after years of depressing news surrounding the club it’s avery pleasant change which I for one will be making the most of whilst I can.

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:It’s impossible to differentiate between truth and bravado without accurate information but at least they are sounding positive about the near future and tbh after years of depressing news surrounding the club it’s avery pleasant change which I for one will be making the most of whilst I can.

Its not impossible to differentiate between a JCL and one of the most loyal servants the club has had in the last half century who, it seems, doesn't get a mention for all his years of devoted service through thick and thin.

Summat not right imo.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Simon Marland has retired and got a lifetime achievement award the end of season awards so think you're reading too much into it Bob.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This was on the club website too

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:Simon Marland has retired and got a lifetime achievement award the end of season awards so think you're reading too much into it Bob.

He was given a lifetime achievement award, was he? So he should but is that why Nick Luckock didn't bother to mention his lifetime's service?

In fact why was Nick Luckock doing the honours anyway?

Was Sharon there? Did she say anything?

Was Michael James there? Did he say anything?

And has anybody said anything about why the audited accounts have not been produced?

If there have been any skeletons, Simon is the one person who is most likely to know where they are.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Norpig wrote:Simon Marland has retired and got a lifetime achievement award the end of season awards so think you're reading too much into it Bob.

He was given a lifetime achievement award, was he? So he should but is that why Nick Luckock didn't bother to mention his lifetime's service?

In fact why was Nick Luckock doing the honours anyway?

Was Sharon there? Did she say anything?

Was Michael James there? Did he say anything?

And has anybody said anything about why the audited accounts have not been produced?

If there have been any skeletons, Simon is the one person who is most likely to know where they are.

I'm guessing from what was written in the opening post that she wasn't...

"In a message to those attending the club’s End of Season Awards last night, she wrote: "So much has happened at Bolton Wanderers since we were last able to come together as the Bolton Family and enjoy an evening like we are about to experience".

I assume that was why Luckock was there instead as I was very surprised to hear he attended let alone spoke.

Does he even attend games - serious question - I couldn't recognise him if he stood next to me, so he might do for all I know.

One thing he did say caught my attention namely this...

“Our squad is well poised to push on for a second promotion, urged on by bigger crowds in the stadium and digitally, our financial profile is solid, our hotel is thriving, and most importantly BWFC is right back in the heart of the community.

What does that mean?

..dunno..

I don't think there was any intention of not giving credit to Mr Marland I think he probably might have thought that as he was getting a special award on the night  his years of service and dedication to the club would be highlighted there.

I don't think Mr Marland would have felt left out of anything on the night, hopefully not anyway.

Maybe when the accounts are finally published we can see the overall financial picture more clearly, perhaps?

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Digitally I assume means ifollow subscribers.  Not sure if that’s what you were questioning

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Digitally I assume means ifollow subscribers.  Not sure if that’s what you were questioning

Ah, that's probably it.

I was reading it as...

...urged on by bigger crowds in the stadium (pause)

and digitally, our financial profile is sold, ....

It didn't make any sense to me.

I now understand it to say basically 'we have good crowds at the Reebok and loads following on iplayer and we've got some money it the bank'.

Cheers for that BTID.

:like:

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:
I don't think there was any intention of not giving credit to Mr Marland I think he probably might have thought that as he was getting a special award on the night  his years of service and dedication to the club would be highlighted there.

I don't think Mr Marland would have felt left out of anything on the night, hopefully not anyway.

I'm sorry Sluffy but I disagree.

There must have  been some discussion about what the board were going to do but it was incumbent on the chair on that evening to express some kind words of appreciation of Simon's long and loyal service. If she couldn't attend for any reason she should have made a record to be read out on her behalf and on behalf of the board by the board's representative at the event.

I assume somebody must have said something prior to handing over whatever memento was given to Simon but it was the board's responsibility to provide and deliver the words of appreciation not anybody else's.

I only met Simon once about twenty years ago. He didn't have to tell me how much he loved the club, it simply oozed from every pore. Why he has chosen this moment in time to retire is not known but it does strike me as a little surprising.

P.S. I've no idea what Simon thought of it all but I hope he enjoys a long and happy retirement. He definitely has earned it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum